GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,032 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Fantasy Forest» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fantasy Forest - Basic D&D Mechanics Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two younger ones at home. I'm not fond of the rules as written because the "challenge" rule is a little too cut-throat for our household. Being a fan of the Dungeons & Dragons RPG mechanics in basic form, and wanting to introduce some basic math as a learning tool, I devised this variant to replace the original rules. Beyond the components that come in the box you will also need an 8-sided die (called a 1d8).

During your turn, perform the following steps in order:
1. Draw a card (only if you won a battle last turn, see below).
2. Combat the monster on the card.
- The number on the card is the monster's Armor Class (AC).
- The die represents your attack. Roll the 1d8 and compare it to the monster's AC.
- If you roll greater than or equal to the AC, you defeat the monster and win the battle.
- If you roll less than the AC, you are losing. You may discard cards from your hand to increase your result (see Discarding a Card below).
3A. If you win the battle, put the card in your hand and move forward a number of spaces equal to the value on the card you just received. Thematically, your hand represents your experience that can be used later.
3B. If you lost the battle, tap the card (i.e., turn the card on its side). You continue to fight this monster next round. You are delayed, so you do NOT move the turn you lost a battle.

As usual, the first person to reach the wizard's castle is the winner.

Discarding a Card: During your turn, you can discard any number of cards from your hand to perform any of the following:
- During combat, each discarded card adds +1 to the die result (thematically, you add your experience to your attack). The monster type or number on this discarded card doesn't matter.
- During movement, a card can be discarded in order to take a shortcut on the board of the matching color.

Optional Rule: Prepared Monsters
During combat, if your player piece is located on a red dot the monster you are fighting adds +1 to its AC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.