Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/colosseum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I can't tell if that pure white colosseum peice is a prototype peice. Is it really going to have no artwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sneaky... they went with the original box art, and just added a sleeve with the updated art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad for my original copy, great game for those that don't have a copy. but I would never trade my copy for this new look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stormy Waters
United States
Reminderville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'm pretty disappointed. Like Kevin Sorbo level disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamoreaux
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Very sneaky... they went with the original box art, and just added a sleeve with the updated art.

Yeah they clearly heard the backlash but didn't want to throw away the art they already paid for I bet... the sleeve would be annoying to slide on and off every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
glamrox wrote:
Hillean wrote:

Yeah they clearly heard the backlash but didn't want to throw away the art they already paid for I bet... the sleeve would be annoying to slide on and off every time.

On the other hand, it will keep the box completely closed for displaying on its side, instead of having to use a rubber band or anything of the sort. At least for that it'll be handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amilcar Piedade
msg tools
mb
It's kind of hilarious that they came up with a Box Sleeve.

I have managed to get a new copy of the original Colosseum for less than this KS would cost me and it still looks worse than the original.
I would consider selling my copy and backing this one, but the only thing going for it is the metal coins, so I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamoreaux
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tebald wrote:
I'm glad for my original copy, great game for those that don't have a copy. but I would never trade my copy for this new look

Ditto. You really can't improve on the DoW production. The new one just has the metal coins, everything else is just a sideways change, not an improvement. I'd even argue the character pieces are better in the original. They were painted resin with cool little laurels and robes on. The wooden meeples (that would possibly be painted) are so yawn in comparison. I also don't like the new layout for the events, I think they made them harder to decipher at a glance.

Very disappointing when you name something a "collector's edition" and then the original is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Gamble
msg tools
glamrox wrote:
tebald wrote:

Ditto. You really can't improve on the DoW production. The new one just has the metal coins, everything else is just a sideways change, not an improvement. I'd even argue the character pieces are better in the original. They were painted resin with cool little laurels and robes on. The wooden meeples (that would possibly be painted) are so yawn in comparison. I also don't like the new layout for the events, I think they made them harder to decipher at a glance.

Very disappointing when you name something a "collector's edition" and then the original is better.

I totally agree with you, especially about the meeples. They've really put me off this new edition when I've been looking forward to it for ages. Somehow the silk screening will also make them look worse

At least we are spoiled for choice for great games these days so my pennies will find a home elsewhere. For those who like the new look, I'm sure you'll enjoy a great game, don't let me preferences put you off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amilcar Piedade
msg tools
mb
Still, I would buy the new one if I didn't have an original version. That's probably where they were going anyway. Getting to new players and people who didn't own Colosseum.

I just hope the rules aren't much different from one to the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
glamrox wrote:

Named the Emperor's Edition, purely for the upgraded components. Nowhere is mentioned Collector's Edition except for here on BGG in discussions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamoreaux
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, and they are only upgrading the components as a stretch goal! So it's only a collector's edition if they have enough backers.... hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamoreaux
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
glamrox wrote:

Named the Emperor's Edition, purely for the upgraded components. Nowhere is mentioned Collector's Edition except for here on BGG in discussions.

You're right, sorry. Emperor's Edition. My mistake. But clearly an allusion to Collector's Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamoreaux
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orckimedes wrote:
Still, I would buy the new one if I didn't have an original version. That's probably where they were going anyway. Getting to new players and people who didn't own Colosseum.

I just hope the rules aren't much different from one to the other.

Yep. Good point. I'm sure for people who just want to play this will be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "Father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
tebald wrote:

I have to say I was disappointed. I know that had to go with new art but the meeples were campy for lack of a better word. I'm just not that impressed.

I am so glad I still have my original copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first things first...I'm thrilled that more people are going to be able to play this wonderful game. That being said, I'm going to take my DoW version off of my "for trade" list. I really thought that I'd go for this new version, but other than the coins (which could easily be proxied by third party companies if I really wanted to) this pales in almost every way to the DoW version in my opinion. I had hoped that the cartoon art of the cover wouldn't be indicative of the entire art direction of the game. No such luck. After owning the incredibly elegant DoW version, I don't think I could go in this cartoon direction. Again, I don't say this to discourage people who don't own it not to get it. Cartoon Colosseum is infinitely better than No Colosseum...this is a game that fulfills a unique niche. I just know now that I'm sticking with the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Forsyth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I parted company with my original copy a few years back as the groups I played with didn't enjoy auction/trading mechanics (guess its a polite British thing lol) and although I got a lot of cash for it, I really regretted it. I was hoping that this new version was going to be really great but I'm not sure it's even on a par with the DOW version :'( guess I will keep an eye on it and see closer to the KS end. I don't want to end up splashing out cash on something that ends up being sold off through discount retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the new art style at all. The new board layout is improved IMO, a separate side for each player. I'm not sure how that will scale for fewer than 5 players, but we'll see I suppose. The Emperor/Consul/Senator pieces look lame compared to the old ones, but I'll probably just use the ones from my old game if they really bother me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamoreaux
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
tebald wrote:

I have to say I was disappointed. I know that had to go with new art but the meeples were campy for lack of a better word. I'm just not that impressed.

I am so glad I still have my original copy.

Yeah I feel bad for TMG in a way. Colosseum is still one of the best productions of any game I've seen. Tough act to follow. I still hope they do well. I think they would have done better not trying to market the "fanciness" so heavily ("METAL COINS!" "BOX SLEEVE!") - just doesn't really help, just comes off looking gimmicky. They could have done away with the whole "Emperor's Edition" and simply reprinted the game in a straightforward way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really torn on this. I would like to get a copy, and this is a reasonable price, but I don't care much for hte visuals, and it seems like a lot of people will have to back this to make it half way decent in terms of components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only see one change in the rules (apart from the Intense Auction), and that is that you can only earn one emperors medal when moving the nobles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Just had a look.

I love Colosseum and really want the game.

I'm not yet sure if I'm backing the game as the look is less then the Days of Wonder version.

Especially the game piece design. OK, silk screened if a enough backers are in. Still even if they are silk screened, they don't have the cool look of the Days of Wonder version.

In doubt here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping this will lower price on existing DoW copies. I lost mine in the flooding from Hurricane Irene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skifreak737 wrote:
Hoping this will lower price on existing DoW copies. I lost mine in the flooding from Hurricane Irene.

I hate to say it, but I think exactly the opposite will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |