Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And (as an owner) I'm hoping this will RAISE the price of the DOW edition! Now that people see how disappointing this one is in comparison. I had wanted to sell mine for $90, but when this was announced the price deflated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame they couldn't come up with some two player rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "Father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
glamrox wrote:
Yeah I feel bad for TMG in a way. Colosseum is still one of the best productions of any game I've seen. Tough act to follow. I still hope they do well. I think they would have done better not trying to market the "fanciness" so heavily ("METAL COINS!" "BOX SLEEVE!") - just doesn't really help, just comes off looking gimmicky. They could have done away with the whole "Emperor's Edition" and simply reprinted the game in a straightforward way.

I'm not trying to bash TMG in any way. I really like their stuff, but this reprint just fell flat. For me I think it's the Emperor, Senator etc tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Lord that board is ugly. And blank colosseum sections? No thanks. Hard pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
GuimarĂ£es
GuimarĂ£es
flag msg tools
Changed the outfit.
badge
Hope you didn't get too confused!
mbmbmbmbmb
The original is one of the most beautiful games in my collection.

I feel sorry for whoever backs this one. I love the game, but it doesn't look nearly as good as the original and in this particular game I feel looks are as important add the rest for full enjoyment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Colosseum really have no art? It's just base-white???

I'm definitely don't care about the art in boardgaming as long as it's functional, but boy o' boy this is bad. I know it's tough to compete with the DoW version, but I think they definitely missed the mark.

I do like the board itself as a pentagon and of course the metal coinage, but everything else has fell flat -- I literally cringed at the sight of those blank colosseums and meeple senators.

I was excited for this coming back, but I'm extremely happy having the DoW version. That being said, I hope people do jump on this version, b/c it's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax everyone, the white pieces are just functional prototypes. Actual working pieces with art will be revealed during the campaign.

I read that in the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you think this is another one of those "January 2017 more like Essen 2017" projects?

I expect delays in any KS, but some companies are more upfront about these things than others. I don't have any experience with TMG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You are all missing the point: it comes bubble wrapped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamoreaux
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:

LOL I saw that and I thought, are they kidding?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glamrox wrote:
tmgergo wrote:

LOL I saw that and I thought, are they kidding?!

And an "exclusive" kickstarer box sleeve shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really torn on this. On one hand, I don't want to spend $120 for the old version, but man, this version is ugly. The art and graphic design seem to be a giant step backwards even in comparison to other TMG products. I also can't figure out why they are showing components without any art (the Colosseum pieces), it just makes the whole project look even more unfinished.

Did they lose their graphic designer or something? The title art looks like something that could be done in 5 minutes in ms paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
glamrox wrote:
Yeah I feel bad for TMG in a way. Colosseum is still one of the best productions of any game I've seen. Tough act to follow. I still hope they do well. I think they would have done better not trying to market the "fanciness" so heavily ("METAL COINS!" "BOX SLEEVE!") - just doesn't really help, just comes off looking gimmicky. They could have done away with the whole "Emperor's Edition" and simply reprinted the game in a straightforward way.

I'm not trying to bash TMG in any way. I really like their stuff, but this reprint just fell flat. For me I think it's the Emperor, Senator etc tokens.

I've backed more than one TMG (can think of at least four games off the top of my head) and I think they come across as really good people, but I'm now questioning their business sense and ability to make a profit.

They ran a KS campaign for City Hall that failed twice. Then they ran it a third time along with Captains of Industry and made a big deal out of the fact that backers were getting a "steal" at $70 for both games. Now it looks as if they published too many copies as both games have shown up at online retailers with substantial percentages off the normal price.

They ran a KS for a reprint and expansion for Kings of Air and Steam that failed because it just wasn't a well run campaign. Part of the problem is that the base game has suffered bad PR from having unbalanced rules for the advanced rules - the version serious gamers would most likely want to use. I own Kings and I think it's a great game. That it hasn't succeeded more I think is directly due to TMG's handling.

And now this. It's my understanding that they couldn't use the artwork from DoW. That was the problem from what I understand all along - DoW owned the artwork and that was preventing a reprint. So TMG probably had to start from scratch. I understand that that can be very difficult, especially given DoW's art track record of making gorgeous games. But I simply do not understand why they took the art in the direction they did. It's campy and cartoony.

Appearances do matter in this hobby. TMG needs to hit some home runs and they're not doing it. I do feel bad for them and I'd like for them to succeed. But they need to make better decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne McIlvaine
Thailand
Hua Hin
Prachuap Khiri Khan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love TMG and own many of their games (many of which have fantastic art, components and presentation), but agree this is a very disappointing first impression of the reprint.

I saw the live video interview TMG did with the Dice Tower at GAMA several days ago, and got a sneak peek at the components ahead of the kickstarter, so I immediately went and bought a copy of the original, and I suspect a lot of people will be doing the same now.

I sincerely wish TMG the best of luck, and I hope they pay attention to the feedback here and elsewhere, to improve upon the presentation, so that there will hopefully be a future for this great game, not only in terms of a reprint, but potentially expansions and other support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bedell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:

Given the challenges they had with dinged copies of Orleans - the bubble wrap is welcome. The art...not so much.

I was absolutely going to back this. Then I saw it - now absolutely not!
The art is Glory to Rome bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/News/ht_spanish_painting_jesu...

This is what this whole colosseum kickstarter thing reminds me of
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mb
jhoratio wrote:
Good Lord that board is ugly. And blank colosseum sections? No thanks. Hard pass.

The blank colosseum sections are surely just prototype components, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Robert
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw in the comment, no upgrade kit for those who have the old one...
Am i missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
Relax everyone, the white pieces are just functional prototypes. Actual working pieces with art will be revealed during the campaign.

Whew -- that's good. I was only able to take a quick glance. Though I'm still not impressed. Odd that they don't have the art completed at this point given that they were going to go live in Oct. Given that I'm not the only one to think it, they probably should of used a better picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:
jhoratio wrote:

The blank colosseum sections are surely just prototype components, no?

It appears that they are prototypes, and there will be some art assets added. Unfortunately, those assets will likely be in the same style of the rest of the game. I know there will be some who will like and (as hard as it is for me to believe) even prefer this art, but I really think they dropped the ball on this one. It's going to easily fund, and probably hit all of the stretch goals, but that's only because of the game's pedigree. It's in spite of the art direction in my opinion, unlike other Kickstarters who funded almost solely because of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:

Just in the comments? Shouldn't that information be clearly noted in the actual campaign page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish this was just a reprint of the old version... Metal coins make the game much more expensive and heavier! That's a big issue for international backers.

Also, I loved the old art and pawns!

Guess I'll have to pass on this...

After their gorgeous production of Orleans, I had my expectations too high, it seems...

Anyway, good luck to TMG with this campaign. Hope to participate on your next campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falenheld wrote:
I wish this was just a reprint of the old version... Metal coins make the game much more expensive and heavier! That's a big issue for international backers.

Also, I loved the old art and pawns!

Guess I'll have to pass on this...

After their gorgeous production of Orleans, I had my expectations too high, it seems...

Anyway, good luck to TMG with this campaign. Hope to participate on your next campaign

Yeah this is hardly a "deluxe" version in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Graham
United Kingdom
Andover
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not owning Colosseum, I was really excited about the kickstarter but having seen the art, the price of it including shipping and the stretch goals, I'm likely to be passing on this one.

Real shame as I hear it's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewartgraham wrote:
Not owning Colosseum, I was really excited about the kickstarter but having seen the art, the price of it including shipping and the stretch goals, I'm likely to be passing on this one.

Real shame as I hear it's a great game.

It might be available thru online game stores post KS for a more reasonable price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.