Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Shame they couldn't come up with some two player rules.

I thought I saw somewhere that it was supposed to have 2p rules, and that was why I was interested. But now I see it's still 3+. Oh, well. Maybe I was hallucinating. Off to unsubscribe from the game page, now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Shadowen wrote:
Relax everyone, the white pieces are just functional prototypes. Actual working pieces with art will be revealed during the campaign.

I read that in the comments.

Just in the comments? Shouldn't that information be clearly noted in the actual campaign page?

Common sense should tell most people that they are prototypes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fergus
United Kingdom
St.Austell
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the new artwork and production is a real turn-off for me.

On another note, it's interesting looking at the auction example that they appear to have gone with the author's "Intense Auction" variant rather than the original Colosseum rules.
That is where a winning bidder can still participate in future auctions once the initiator changes.

EDIT: haha, I just noticed they've clarified this above the example!
This is actually the way we always play this. The original auction mechanism was too weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Shadowen wrote:
Relax everyone, the white pieces are just functional prototypes. Actual working pieces with art will be revealed during the campaign.

Just in the comments? Shouldn't that information be clearly noted in the actual campaign page?

It should be clearer, but the colosseum pieces in the video at the top of the page have art on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
venrondua wrote:
Shadowen wrote:

And common sense should tell Tasty Minstrel to get some full art components to feature in their KS campaign. Regardless of what may or may not end up in the game "someday", these blank pieces are what we are being asked to back and spend our money on. In this day and age of board games, open mic night is over, as far as I'm concerned. I back fully fleshed-out games, not half-assed prototypes.

Not to mention the hideous board, which unfortunately does NOT seem to be a working prototype, but the final version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
venrondua wrote:
Shadowen wrote:

When it comes to PR and Marketing, common sense should tell most publishers not to rely on common sense. Wouldn't have cost them anything to add that clarity to the campaign page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maduar wrote:
Just saw in the comment, no upgrade kit for those who have the old one...
Am i missing something?

I'm surprised this question was even asked. What would an "upgrade" kit actually consist of? Nothing appears to have been upgraded except for the coins and two additional show programs. I'd like to have more show programs, but not with mis-matched art. And metal coins are available elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a different perspective, I never heard of this game until I received a email from TMG. I quickly backed after looking everything over as I felt the games theme and artwork was pretty nice until I came here and read this thread and then watched Rahdo's video with the DoW version. It's definitely superior and I don't really feel I need metal coins, which raises the price conveniently. ignorance was bliss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a side by side for easy reference

TMG

DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Koch
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm in the camp of people who don't own a copy of the DoW version and were really looking forward to this campaign. After the large outcry from people last autumn complaining about the artwork, WHY ON EARTH would TMG decide to go ahead with this art direction?!?! Sure, they probably had already paid for it, but the amount of people, including myself, who are going to opt out of this campaign means that much less profit for them. It would have been in their best interest to pay somebody to change the artwork. I am super happy with Orleans and thought maybe they'd go a similar route, but alas...

Now I'll have to pay a ridiculous amount for the DoW version or wait another extended amount of time for a different version with better art. Damn you TMG!!! This is why we can't have nice things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Robert
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea what the dice looks like?
Custom roman numeral like the original one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
KochForPrez wrote:
I'm in the camp of people who don't own a copy of the DoW version and were really looking forward to this campaign. After the large outcry from people last autumn complaining about the artwork, WHY ON EARTH would TMG decide to go ahead with this art direction?!?! Sure, they probably had already paid for it, but the amount of people, including myself, who are going to opt out of this campaign means that much less profit for them. It would have been in their best interest to pay somebody to change the artwork. I am super happy with Orleans and thought maybe they'd go a similar route, but alas...

Now I'll have to pay a ridiculous amount for the DoW version or wait another extended amount of time for a different version with better art. Damn you TMG!!! This is why we can't have nice things!

Ditto. No longer own the original and would like to buy a new copy. But not with this art. TMG lost my money on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over $40,000 in just a few hours, total failure on the part of TMG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:

Not impressed. They could have done a lot better

Great art got Tokaido $668,000 in total. And this is a far better game and it's not going to get anywhere near that figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masis H.
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I only see one change in the rules (apart from the Intense Auction), and that is that you can only earn one emperors medal when moving the nobles.

Where do you see this mentioned? I couldn't find it in the rules pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Koch
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
albynomonk wrote:

A failure in the sense that they are losing out on money they also could have made on top of that money. That $40K is indicative of the excitement for Kramer and Lubke's design. It has little to do with TMG. If ANY other company had obtained the rights and done similar artwork it would also have made that amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skaughty wrote:
tmgergo wrote:
You are all missing the point: it comes bubble wrapped!

Given the challenges they had with dinged copies of Orleans - the bubble wrap is welcome. The art...not so much.

I was absolutely going to back this. Then I saw it - now absolutely not!
The art is Glory to Rome bad.
That feels like a bit of an overstatement, the glory to rome art work is very very bad, this might not be my preference, but it does have a nice simplicity to it; it's not "bad" just not what we wanted.
It's growing on me a little, I like the clarity the new art gives. The layered colloseums will look nice too I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who owns the original DoW version, I have to say that I see some good and some bad in this Kickstarter.

First, the bad. Like many others posting here, I think that the art direction isn't great. Granted, Days of Wonder has one of the absolute best art departments in board gaming, and trying to follow one of their productions was never going to be an easy task. I'd also much rather have the DoW Emperer's Loges etc. with gorgeous art than boring colored wood pieces to adorn my colosseum.

But, there's some good here too. First I am glad that TM is keeping this to a reasonable price point. $60 is nice, especially with the metal coins (assuming that they're actually good quality pieces). Second, Colosseum is a fantastic game - it's my favorite DoW game - and I'm happy than gamers will have a way to experience it. It boggles my mind that DoW won't reprint this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scribner
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very disappointed with the art direction. Enough that I won't be backing the kickstarter. I've played the original game many times and absolutely love the artwork and component quality. I'd never be able to play this version without being too nostalgic for the version I'm NOT getting to play, and the awesome components I'm NOT interacting with. With that said, if you have no other choice and have been looking forward to trying out this classic game, get a copy of the Kickstarter version. Colosseum is an awesome game, and if this is the only version you have a shot at obtaining, it's probably worth it. For myself, I'll be waiting and acquiring a copy of the original on Ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So much love for the original cover around here... I thought it was a muddy mess. It was sitting on my LGS shelf for 8 years, I considered buying it for 6 months before finally pulling the trigger because the box art was so awful. YES the components inside the box were awesome, but the box art? Barf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tebald wrote:
Here's a side by side for easy reference

TMG

DoW

I agree, the art in the DOW version is more "beautiful", but I think I see this new art as much more "functional". It really isn't bad art, in fact I might not mind it too much. Yes it's less classy, but it's fun and inviting still, I could get used to it. Also, the new scoring track is much easier to interpret. I think I'm going to back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I see one issue, the new art makes the colosseums look tiny, there are images of people on the board, and by scale, the colosseum could maybe fit a tug-of-war match...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
While I'm glad TMG is making a new printing of this great game--so more people can be exposed to it, learn it, play it and love it--I'm just so glad I was able to buy a reasonably-priced used DoW edition a couple months back. No comparison in how they look. The DoW will be the classic, collector's edition. I suspect that prices for the DoW will rise when people compare the two. Though only time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theseventensplit wrote:
Ok, I see one issue, the new art makes the colosseums look tiny, there are images of people on the board, and by scale, the colosseum could maybe fit a tug-of-war match...

By scale, the Emperor, Consuls, and Senators were Titans in the old version, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
theseventensplit wrote:

By scale, the Emperor, Consuls, and Senators were Titans in the old version, though...
Agreed, but that makes sense in either version, as they are the big wigs, in a sense they are the "Titans" of the Roman world. It's not really an issue, just a bit of a quirk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |