Popular Tags: [View All]
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the five distinct sides on the new board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skifreak737 wrote:
Hoping this will lower price on existing DoW copies. I lost mine in the flooding from Hurricane Irene.

I have a feeling this is only going to drive the price up kind of like how the "new" Runebound just made getting 2nd edition Runebound even more expensive.

That KS price tag just doesn't match IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
skifreak737 wrote:
Hoping this will lower price on existing DoW copies. I lost mine in the flooding from Hurricane Irene.

I have a feeling this is only going to drive the price up kind of like how the "new" Runebound just made getting 2nd edition Runebound even more expensive.

A similar thing is happening with A Study in Emerald. The new edition hasn't lowered the prices of the first edition. They've actually gone up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuyam wrote:
Quote:
I only see one change in the rules (apart from the Intense Auction), and that is that you can only earn one emperors medal when moving the nobles.

Where do you see this mentioned? I couldn't find it in the rules pdf.
Rules page 5 wrote:
Constructing the Emperor’s Loge
Having distinguished guests in your arena is always an honor. Constructing an Emperor’s Loge will increase the chances of attracting these luminaries to your events. To construct an Emperor’s Loge pay the value of 5 coins to the bank and add it to your arena. From now on you may roll 2 dice, instead of 1, when producing events. The results may be added together, or used as two separate rolls, however you can not gain more than one Emperor’s Medal at a time. An arena can only have a maximum of 1 Emperor’s Loge.

The underlined (by me) part is new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Only pledge level 75% of retail? No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
...and rebuild it stronger!
badge
That's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the DoW production is wonderful, but as someone who hasn't really looked at it before and is looking at this after hearing rave reviews of the game, I don't personally find any of the art or design in here particularly offensive. I can totally understand people loving the original version of a game (and DoW is always particularly grand in their production), but as someone who is unfamiliar and looked through these components only, I think it looks just dandy overall.

The only thing that really stood out to me is the screenprinted meeples - they maybe feel a little more at odds with the general design than anything else. Still, they look sharp enough. The game has a family friendly aesthetic now, and maybe the old version didn't, but from a completely outside perspective, I think it looks just fine and isn't jarring to me at all.

Once pointed out, the blank colosseum pieces did seem weird to me, but since those are addressed in the comments as pre-production and they will be printed in the final version, that should be no big deal also.

Backed, looking forward to finally getting to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another KS update:

The Funding has been as fast as a chariot race...whoosh...

In fact Colosseum has already surpassed Orlean's day one numbers. Thank you very much for Backing and sharing. Our twitter feed has been on fire with people sharing their support.

The layered Colosseum's have been unlocked. We are so pleased, this layered effect is going to look so good on the table, it's an exciting first day unlock. Thank you.

Faster than Orleans... impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love TMG games, I really think they have problems with listening to their customer base. The box damage issue with Orleans is one such example, and ignoring all the overwhelmingly negative feedback on the atrocious art is going to cost them sales. Unfortunately for people like me who don't have the first edition, we are stuck buying the 'My First Colosseum' edition for ages 8 and under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:

Really doesn't mean much other than people want Colosseum, a game that has a great track record, consider how it would have done with someone else producing it, most likely just as well. Comparing it to another game that has nothing to do with it really doesn't mean much either. It would be like me comparing it to Reaper Miniatures Bones: An Evolution Of Gaming Miniatures kickstarter that ended it's funding at $3,429,235, One has nothing to do with the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tebald wrote:
albynomonk wrote:

Really doesn't mean much other than people want Colosseum, a game that has a great track record, consider how it would have done with someone else producing it, most likely just as well. Comparing it to another game that has nothing to do with it really doesn't mean much either. It would be like me comparing it to Reaper Miniatures Bones: An Evolution Of Gaming Miniatures kickstarter that ended it's funding at $3,429,235, One has nothing to do with the other.

It also means that most people aren't as horrified with the art as some of you here seem to be... lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamoreaux
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else sad that the new Nickelodeon box art has replaced the DoW art on the BGG listing? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I have to balance some of the seething hatred and negativity here.
I think this actually looks good.
Okay, the art (whew!), I don't think it's that bad. The bright colors and pictures are much more user friendly and i think might draw in more casual gamers, rather than the drab muted yellows (albeit more realistic looking, and certainly beautiful in its own right)

This is TMG people, this has always been their art direction and will probably always be their art direction. They have done it this way with every one of their other games, why did you think this would be different? Some like it, some don't. That's the thing about art, everyone thinks they're a critic.

Functionally, this is a KS mainly for those who don't have this out-of-print gem. It's even emphasized at the top of the page, they wanted to get an awesome out-of-print game out to the massess.

It seems to me most of you who are hating right now are 1st edition owners who thought that this would be some kind of upgrade to your game. Let it go and let others get a chance to enjoy this game. I'm not selling my 1st edition but honestly I probably wasn't going to anyway. It's weird so many people are disappointed because now they have to keep their "old" edition.

And please people, it says very clearly at the bottom of the page the colosseum will NOT be plain white, so stop complaining about that please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
skifreak737 wrote:

Except the new runebound is far superior than the second edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
bearn wrote:
skifreak737 wrote:

Except the new runebound is far superior than the second edition
I'm sure if the third edition had art like Colosseums second edition then it would be a different story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys convinced me. I backed the KS a few hours ago but I just found a used French DOW version (condition: excellent) for €25 + €12 shipping, so I grabbed that instead and cancelled my KS pledge for the TMG version.

So I get the game for virtually half the price, in a better version, 10 months earlier. Hopefully the condition really is excellent. It should arrive before the end of the KS, so if I'm unsatisfied with it for whatever reason, I'll still have the opportunity to pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
tebald wrote:
albynomonk wrote:

It also means that most people aren't as horrified with the art as some of you here seem to be... lol.

That's not necessarily what it means. Everyone here is using incomplete data to prove whatever point they came to this thread with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
tebald wrote:
albynomonk wrote:

Most people? They set a low threshold and met it. Hell, maybe they'll break $100k or even $200k, but I doubt it. The reality is that great art sells games on KS. That's just observable fact. This is a game by well known designers and an established fan base. If TMG had wanted to they could have had a half million dollar campaign on their hands. They chose not to. Yup, their choice. Doesn't mean it was a smart one.

And btw, the original wasn't perfect. It did have muddy art. But if you think this current version is more attractive and was a wise business choice by TMG then I have a bridge to sell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the art and board, but don't care for the arena, Season Tickets, and Emperor's Loge, not even the stretch goal versions. I do like the silk screened pieces and the pillar sized score markers though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Turner
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't understand all the hubbub about the art. The best thing about the original game was the pawns everything else was standard fare and the art looks dated IMO. TMG did a great job with Orleans and I'm excited to see the final production of their version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully, the rules are the same and it plays the same as the 1st edition from DoW, because lord knows I have enough games that look great but play for crap.

Given the choice, I'll take a fun game over one that just looks good. I just hate that I can't have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe in time, the folks at Supermeeple will create a worthy edition of this game. Their reproduction of Mexica and is truly outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kimball Bent wrote:
Maybe in time, the folks at Supermeeple will create a worthy edition of this game. Their reproduction of Mexica and is truly outstanding.

That's a great example of an OOP classic reprint done right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
Kimball Bent wrote:

That's a great example of an OOP classic reprint done right.

And no kickstarter needed either whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That white meeple with the red silk screening looks like a standee from outside a Little Caesar's. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
And please people, it says very clearly at the bottom of the page the colosseum will NOT be plain white, so stop complaining about that please?

That information is new (along with the mock up's for the colosseums, which I think look good). When the Kickstarter first went up it wasn't as clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [9] |