Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When i look at the new art, iam really really happy i have the old one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The thing that blows me away is that for a while DoW was giving this game away for free with a purchase from their website. Add 10ish years and it is a classic that evokes such strong emotions, and is priced so high. I bought some dozen of these and gave them to my students as Christmas gifts. I wonder if they know what they are worth...

(BTW, I concur with the art criticisms, and would add that the counters in the original are better also, perhaps one of the best parts of the original game...perhaps since this went down the path of GtR original, it should also get a black box treatment!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Robert
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way guys, you don't want the colomn score marker upgrade. there is a reason why days of wonder always stick with the low profile score marker. You will find out soon enougn why every game comes with low profile score marker.

I would use those marker to replace the pawns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner of the DOW version, I do find the art of the new version offensive gulp Yeah it's great that more people will get to play this game but the direction of this new art is disastrous. And I usually don't care that much about art in my games (I am looking at you, Glory to Rome)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are replacing the functional card board tokens which tell us the +X we get for them, with wooden pieces which have no indication what they mean. Probably not worth it for the added confusion and they look too simple in just one colour.

The tokens are harder to tell apart especially the Artist, why is it not a tiny character (in the new cartoony art style) in the middle of the token with a green background? Like the lion head token. Would be a lot clearer and actually match the rest of the components.

The colosseums are too small and thin, but maybe that is just because it is prototype art.

Not sure I like the new event tiles either, I guess we need the names of the tokens now because the tokens are harder to tell apart?

Perhaps it is a double sided board for less than 5 players?

At least we have a character from Rome:The Musical on the refrence sheet

Reprints of old games don't usually get worse, this seems to be the case for this, so I guess I won't be backing it. I have the original anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Both games and, most importantly, gamers have come a long way since 2007. this game was just a bit ahead of its day. Right before the video review era. Now check out the video reviews done long after the game came out. Nearly all very highly positive. Can't wait for a new generation of gamers to get to play this fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
...and rebuild it stronger!
badge
That's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I showed this to my wife, who isn't super into board games. We took a look at the DoW production and the TMG production, and here were a few of her comments:

The Box Art: "This game looks...boring. It looks so serious. The new one looks much more fun."

The Meeples: "The old ones are so cool! The new ones look a little goofy."

The board: "[The new board] looks a lot nicer. It looks colorful and it makes more sense than the old one."

In general, the game seems to be going for a wider audience appeal with its new art direction, and from my anecdotal evidence, it seems like it can be very successful at that. It's too bad that for some of the folks here it seems to be a step backward, but I would wager that for TMG selling this game to the wider market, this is a great step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
60 bucks! Are you kidding me?! This should not be a 60 dollar game. I would maybe pay $30 for the weird cartoony artwork and awkward meeples. Just for reference, here's a list of games with phenomenal components that justify their $60 price tag:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Forbidden Stars
Kemet
The Battle of Five Armies
BattleCON: Devastation of Indines
And the one that's leaving us all shaking our heads...Orléans

I just don't understand how you go from a game as well put together as Orleans to this. Also, the games that I listed likely have far more bits and pieces than Colosseum without sacrificing quality, both in art and presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:
And please people, it says very clearly at the bottom of the page the colosseum will NOT be plain white, so stop complaining about that please?

That information is new (along with the mock up's for the colosseums, which I think look good). When the Kickstarter first went up it wasn't as clear.

The video at the top of the page has been there since the Kickstarter launched, and the components in that video show full art. It was pretty clear, even if it wasn't as clear as it could be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it funny that almost all of the complaining and attacking is from people that also say "at least i have the original" like you are trying to glorify yourself or something. Well good for you! You all are amazing board game fans to have had the foresight to pick up this great game a long time ago. There, feel better?

Is the game perfect? No. Is it even close to being as bad as you make it sound? No. But at least i can own it for a decent price now. The art is not terrible. The box is bad but its a box... who cares about the box. If the box art mattered then i would be missing out on a great game in Concordia too. The only part that IS terrible in my opinion are the meeples. But am i going to pass on a great game because of that? No. Ill replace the meeples and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axcid wrote:
Well good for you!

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justrick wrote:
60 bucks! Are you kidding me?! This should not be a 60 dollar game. I would maybe pay $30 for the weird cartoony artwork and awkward meeples. Just for reference, here's a list of games with phenomenal components that justify their $60 price tag:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault

MSRP $99

justrick wrote:

MSRP $99

justrick wrote:

MSRP $69

justrick wrote:

MSRP $89

justrick wrote:

MSRP $75

justrick wrote:
And the one that's leaving us all shaking our heads...Orléans

With the exception of Orleans and maybe Kemet, you're not really comparing apples to apples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axcid wrote:
I find it funny that almost all of the complaining and attacking is from people that also say "at least i have the original" like you are trying to glorify yourself or something. Well good for you! You all are amazing board game fans to have had the foresight to pick up this great game a long time ago. There, feel better?

Is the game perfect? No. Is it even close to being as bad as you make it sound? No. But at least i can own it for a decent price now. The art is not terrible. The box is bad but its a box... who cares about the box. If the box art mattered then i would be missing out on a great game in Concordia too. The only part that IS terrible in my opinion are the meeples. But am i going to pass on a great game because of that? No. Ill replace the meeples and have fun.

I think you have the right attitude, but keep in mind the owners of the original game aren't just commenting to be snide or superior. This KS version was positioned as a deluxe edition with improved components. Many owners of the original were excited by the prospect of an improved, deluxe version. Hence, the vocal disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Axcid wrote:

I think you have the right attitude, but keep in mind the owners of the original game aren't just commenting to be snide or superior. This KS version was positioned as a deluxe edition with improved components. Many owners of the original were excited by the prospect of an improved, deluxe version. Hence, the vocal disappointment.

^This. I had my original copy listed for trade since this was announced as coming soon. I'm really glad I didn't get a trade request I was happy with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple things are an improvement though... The colosseums themselves are great, with the layered look. The outside scoring track is much easier to read, and the coins look poised to be a wonderful improvement.
It seems though from the actual kickstarter that this is more mean to be a reprint to get the game available to new players.

Also, the old box art was NOT nice, this one should help convince my wife and friends to at least try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Msrp is an arbitrary number anyway. Just wait for this to hit retail it will be in the clearance bin soon enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
With the exception of Orleans and maybe Kemet, you're not really comparing apples to apples.

All of these games are at or around the $60 mark on Amazon, Coolstuff, and Miniature Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what you're saying, you consider these better production value with a higher MSRP, that also sells at a lower price or a larger percentage off. You also think/expected Colosseum should either have a lower MSRP and a better starting price or just priced lower than the $60.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth just trying to interpret your analogy of the comparison.

justrick wrote:
DavidT wrote:

All of these games are at or around the $60 mark on Amazon, Coolstuff, and Miniature Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
tebald wrote:
So what you're saying, you consider these better production value with a higher MSRP, that also sells at a lower price or a larger percentage off. You also think/expected Colosseum should either have a lower MSRP and a better starting price or just priced lower than the $60.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth just trying to interpret your analogy of the comparison.

justrick wrote:
DavidT wrote:

His point was quite clear to me, they are asking too much for this game considering what you get compared to other games at a similar price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Robert
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justrick wrote:
DavidT wrote:

If you wait long enough, it will be 39$ at coolstuff, but you will not get the nice sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maduar wrote:
justrick wrote:
DavidT wrote:

If you wait long enough, it will be 39$ at coolstuff, but you will not get the nice sleeve.

And you will probably not get the exclusive bubble wrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justrick wrote:
DavidT wrote:

And Colosseum will be at or around the $45 mark when it hits those same outlets. It's a cheaper game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexankh wrote:
do you think this is another one of those "January 2017 more like Essen 2017" projects?

I expect delays in any KS, but some companies are more upfront about these things than others. I don't have any experience with TMG

As a general rule, TMG deliver on their KS, but with some delays.

My experience was with a couple of their microgames - which were supposedly made and ready to print. They announced a several month delay halfway into the month they were supposed to be delivered because they hadn't started printing yet. Left a sour taste in my mouth for the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
...and rebuild it stronger!
badge
That's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
tebald wrote:

justrick wrote:
DavidT wrote:

His point was quite clear to me, they are asking too much for this game considering what you get compared to other games at a similar price point.

Just a friendly reminder that this is Kickstarter, a funding website, not a bargain bin online market. They still need money to, y'know, make the game, not just sell through stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
justrick wrote:
DavidT wrote:

And Colosseum will be at or around the $45 mark when it hits those same outlets. It's a cheaper game.

Regardless, I could name dozens of other games at the $45 mark that far exceed the quality of this Colosseum edition in both component quality and art quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [9] |