Popular Tags: [View All]
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TMG KS is up and I can't help thinking.....

What are the odds that DoW/Asmodee will do a reprint of the original?

Any thoughts on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0%

They own the rights to the board game in North America at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero.

DoW didn't reprint it back when they actually had the rights to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wilhm
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
TokenCon: Oklahoma's First Board Game Convention!
badge
Living my best life
mbmbmbmbmb
Since TMG now has the rights for the reprint, I would say the odds of a DoW/Asmodee reprint are zero.

The TMG Kickstarter has already reached it's funding goal, so it will be printed. In a few years, if the TMG version doesn't succeed beyond this print run, someone else may end up with the rights, but DoW wasn't interested in reprinting and let the rights go once already. I highly doubt that they will want to pay for those rights again. I'm not sure what could happen to change their mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The KS FAQ states
Quote:
TMG was able to get rights to the rules of the game, but had to do everything else from the ground up.

So if TMG now owns the rights for Colosseum, why didn't they take the effort to get the game "for real"?

Given the amount of "tough love" they are receiving over this new look, it almost seems like they should have gone the extra mile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoW didn't reprint this game because it wasn't a good seller. It ended up on a LOT of clearance sales. It wasn't until it was hard to find that it became sought after and expensive on the secondary market.

The game is good, but it's not as good as the hype and secondary market prices would make it seem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
DoW didn't reprint this game because it wasn't a good seller. It ended up on a LOT of clearance sales. It wasn't until it was hard to find that it became sought after and expensive on the secondary market.

The game is good, but it's not as good as the hype and secondary market prices would make it seem.

Right. DoW has had some massive hits--Shadows over Camelot, Small World, Ticket to Ride. Comparatively, Colosseum came up short and thus they never reprinted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frazer Eden
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alwin wrote:
The KS FAQ states
Quote:
TMG was able to get rights to the rules of the game, but had to do everything else from the ground up.

So if TMG now owns the rights for Colosseum, why didn't they take the effort to get the game "for real"?

Given the amount of "tough love" they are receiving over this new look, it almost seems like they should have gone the extra mile.

I believe they have the rights to the game but not the art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version looks ugly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
For the reasonable and foreseeable future... zero. Make that absolute zero. If the game is successful for TMG, likely they'll keep printing it.

So if you want a DoW copy, you'll have to go out and buy one. I suspect prices for them will be rising. Delay could be costly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would Days of Wonder let their in house artwork go, when they can just vault it and one day make a 3rd edition if the rights ever revert back and please their customers who already own it by ensuring that printing remains unique [with the greatest meeples ever made in my opinion.]

Or they may have wanted to charge more money than a company like Tasty Minstrel wanted to pay. Maybe Michael Mindes thought his art team could do it better, or maybe DoW lost the original in a server accident.

Whatever the reasons they probably tried, failed, and went ahead with a solid new edition. I backed the new edition because I enjoyed the game, and missed out on the first edition because Trey Chambers had it. Now I will as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alwin wrote:
The KS FAQ states
Quote:

TMG negotiated a new deal with the game's designer when his original deal with DoW lapsed because the game belongs to him. But the original artwork belongs to DoW.

So maybe DoW wasn't interested in selling the artwork. Or maybe the price was too high. Or maybe TMG just wanted to go their own way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
jmathias wrote:

Agreed with everything above.*

People forget this was a mediocre seller that was on clearance for $25 for a *long* time.

* Except the "good" descriptor. It's mediocre at best, and the early, enthusiastic comparisons to Princes of Florence were titter-worthy then, and are laughable in retrospect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the 300 or so games I have played, it currently is my 10th favorite game.

I think it's awesome.

As for KS project, I like the art and board, but don't care for the arena, Season Tickets, and an Emperor's Loge, not even the stretch goal versions. I do like the silk screened pieces and the pillar sized score markers though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMG has said they didn't have the rights to the original art, so they came up with their own. Why they chose the Hanna-Barbera theme is anyone's guess.

In my opinion, the worst of the art is actually on the box itself and the board and cards are merely boring. If the rules are the same as 1st edition, it will still meet my bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that they couldn't get the art (IP law is a fickle mistress) but I wish they could have at least some a similar style of art, the new board and box just do not appeal to me at all. The cover reminds me of an old Nintendo game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Koch
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
MitchLav wrote:
TMG has said they didn't have the rights to the original art, so they came up with their own. Why they chose the Hanna-Barbera theme is anyone's guess.

In my opinion, the worst of the art is actually on the box itself and the board and cards are merely boring. If the rules are the same as 1st edition, it will still meet my bar.

I've been saying a similar thing...the font looks like the Captain Caveman font. I'm fine with all the other artwork. It's just that horrible box and font. Even the sleeve looks better than the box art they chose. It's simply frustrating that they didn't listen when people raised their voices this past autumn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always enjoyed the game (except for the trading).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
The new version looks ugly
Agree. The original got me by aesthetic. To call this new one deluxe ... you have to be kidding. It is a very bad joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I hear that someone's currently auctioning off a new in shrink copy of the DoW version.... whistle

Honestly, aside from the horrible box/title treatment and the Little Caesar's meeples, I don't think this one will be too bad. At least the board looks decent enough. It's certainly a totaly different art direction style from the first edition. But at least it looks like they haven't changed the game underneath, which is what I personally consider the important part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy for free as a DoW promotion for spending over £40 on their site a number of years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
I hear that someone's currently auctioning off a new in shrink copy of the DoW version.... :whistle:

But is it bubble wrapped???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gamemanue wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:
I hear that someone's currently auctioning off a new in shrink copy of the DoW version.... whistle

But is it bubble wrapped???

As much as can fit around it in a flat rate priority box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
KochForPrez wrote:
...the font looks like the Captain Caveman font. .......

Pugnax555 wrote:
Honestly, aside from the horrible box/title treatment and the Little Caesar's meeples, .....

Now when I think of the Kickstarter edition I can't help but picture Fred Flinstone delivering pizza....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |