Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A great expansion to a great game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Craig
United States
flag msg tools
What is in the box

Under the Pyramids (UTP) is the 4th expansion to Eldritch Horror. It is the 2nd big box expansion.

It comes with 2 Ancient Ones (AO). It should be no surprise that one of them is an Egyptian focused one. The other AO is Abhoth who is the source of uncleanliness.

You get a side board that focuses in on the pyramids space from the main board.

You get new cards for every deck.

It also introduces the new mechanic of impair, it is the reverse of the improve mechanic from the base game.

There are new investigators and monsters.

Thoughts on additions to the game

The 2 AOs are quickly becoming some of my most played AOs. I love the theme of Abhoth and his unique encounters with his cultists are a great way to still use the cultist monster even though no humans worship Abhoth.

Nephren-Ka is the AO that uses the side board and the Egypt theme. His reckoning effect pulls you toward the pyramids unless you sacrifice sanity. This can often work in your favor but if you have a rumor somewhere else that has to be solved then the reckoning can be dreaded.

I like that the sideboard is in a central location and through the use of local paths, does not increase the transit time of moving through the pyramids. If you were a little cold on the side board from Mountains of Madness but did not hate the idea of a side board, then I think you will really like the Egypt board. If you hate the idea of side boards then this will probably not change your mind.

The cards are what you would expect. More of everything which is always good in an encounter driven game such as Eldritch.
I have really warmed up to using the preludes after resisting them in the previous expansions, I gave them a shot. I find that they add a new element that can be helpful or hurtful without adding new rules to worry about. I would not use preludes if you are introducing this game to a newbie.

The impair mechanic works seamlessly with the improve mechanic. It just gives you something more to dread during your encounters. I do hate drawing the mythos card that impairs your highest skill 3 times, mostly because I seem to get it into the mythos deck every game. The AOs are laughing at me every time I flip it over and groan.

The new investigators are always welcome. Most interesting is Rex Murphy who is perma-cursed. This is off set by his action ability and his passive ability. Sometimes he has been the hero of my games, but just as often he is frustratingly ineffective due to being cursed. He is a great support character but not the main show, seems to be the best way to use him.

The new monsters are typical, although I avoid the Spawn of Sebak whenever it shows up. He is just deadly.

Final thoughts

I think this is the 2nd most important expansion to have for Eldritch. I still rate Forsaken Lore above it just because it adds so much to the base game AOs.

I love the AOs in UTP and that is the driving force on how I rate the expansions.

8/10 for my BGG rating.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.