Thumb up
2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Retailers / Gaming Groups in San José, Costa Rica rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quin C
msg tools
Hey! So I spent some time in San José, Costa Rica and it took me awhile before I stumbled upon the first of two board game stores in the city. In hopes that the next time you visit Costa Rica it won't take you as long to find a gaming group, here's a summary of what I found down in El Chepe. Pura Vida!

1. Vortex
Location: Third floor of a mall-like store on Avenida Central in downtown San José, near Vargas Araya Bus Stop. Google or see the Facebook page for the map.
Size: Very limited game selection and small table space.
In-store events: Friday Night Magic, weekly board game nights.

2. Avalon Game Arena
Location: San Pedro suburb, east of downtown San José. Also on Avenida Central, in-between Mall San Pedro and Universidad Latina. Google or see the Facebook page for the map.
Size: Good size game selection and good table-space
In-store events: Friday Night Magic, weekly board game nights, official tournaments (Magic, YGO, Heroclix, ...)
Note: Serves as a good 'information hub' for other conventions and tournaments in San José.

I also found some gaming groups online through Facebook, and I'm sure you can find more via Meetup, Google+, etc... but I never went to one of these. Any suggestions from any other gamers in Costa Rica? What about other retailers in San José or near-by?

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you for this!

I'm heading to Costa Rica in a few weeks and would be interested in checking out the gaming scene. Prior to this, I was having a difficult time finding any gaming spots or groups. Some of that is likely due to my non-existent Spanish skills (my girlfriend is the native speaker). But these look like a good place to start.

Maintaining a gaming habit has got to be pretty expensive down there, considering those brutal shipping taxes.

I would like to see if it would be possible for me to bring some games with me for sale or perhaps donation and at least help spread the gaming addiction love down there!

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.