Gerry Drouillard
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi everyone
So I’ve been working on a little project that I wanted to share. I think that a lot of people out there will likely have the same issue that I had, and would enjoy seeing my solution. Basically, every time I bought a deluxe expansion, I didn’t want to throw out the box because I like the art, but I also didn’t want to store cards in there because they don’t fit vertically or horizontally. Letting them just float around in a mostly empty box was disorganized and I wanted something a little easier to just grab and go. The hobby lobby boxes look very nice, but I’m Canadian and have been having a hell of a time finding something similar.

Anyway, my storage solution came about when I realized that the width of a card is roughly the height of two deluxe boxes! What if I could just combine those two boxes into one taller box?!

I started with the Fellowship boxes because the art and colours matched

Then I opened up one of them and cut out the bottom.

Then cut the bottom into four triangles

Then lined up the top and bottom half and cut the tip off the triangles so they would fit in the box with a lid

Then glued them in place (with some help from my girlfriend’s bobby pins because I didn’t have any clamps)

I did this with all four sides, let it dry, then took an insert from one of the boxes and folded it to create a divider (again with glue and bobby pins)

Then glued it into the bottom of the box.

Once everything dried, I put the lid on, and can now store everything in a much more organized fashion while still enjoying these awesome card boxes! I went ahead and did this with the other expansions. The colours didn’t match up as well, but you get the general idea.
Overall I’m very happy with how they turned out! The boxes are surprisingly sturdy and can hold quite a few cards!

I hope you all enjoy and get some inspiration for your own projects!

Edit:
Here are some more pictures for added clarity

Here's a close up of what the box bottoms look like once glued together

Here's a top down of the four triangles glued in place

Here's one with the lid on

Hopefully this helps clarify a little!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, man! Thanks for sharing, definitely giving me some inspiration as I'm running out of space in my two core boxes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Zim
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just really like the fact that it doesn't require any additional resources other than scissors and glue. And it still looks like it works nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have zero understanding of what the triangle parts accomplish. Also, what is holding the insert up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valzi wrote:
I have zero understanding of what the triangle parts accomplish. Also, what is holding the insert up?

Haha, the triangle parts hold the insert up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How? I guessed that was probably true, but I don't understand how a triangle shape would hold a rectangular shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darby Harris
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
valzi wrote:
How? I guessed that was probably true, but I don't understand how a triangle shape would hold a rectangular shape.

I would assume that the triangles are glued to both the lower and upper parts to act as a support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Drouillard
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:
I would assume that the triangles are glued to both the lower and upper parts to act as a support.

Yes, that is correct. I didn't want them to be triangles because then I couldn't put the lid on, so I trimmed the tip of the triangle and glued them to both the lower and upper box. The whole idea was to reuse as much from the boxes as possible and given that I had to cut the bottom out of one of the boxes this seemed like a good way to reuse the bottom and also build the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Drouillard
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:

Do you mean the divider? It is folded down the middle, then the fold is glued in place and the whole thing is glued to the bottom of the box. It isn't actually rigidly held up and kind of wiggles back and forth, but it is more than strong enough to create two rows of cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't that work without cutting up the expansion box? I'm not really understanding why it's in there. (Sorry. I don't visualize things like this well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion box is too shallow to hold cards vertically. Stacking two expansion boxes on top of one another allows you to store cards vertically.

EDIT: looks like they're stored horizontally. Same dif.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OH! The triangle bits are to glue to the two box lids together. Now I get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Drouillard
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
I took quite a few more photos but only uploaded a few of them. I can post the remaining ones if you would like to help visualize what I did some more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be really cool of you. I love what you did here, although I probably would only ever be able to do it with the Saga boxes so that they match . But I'm trying to figure out how sturdy the connection between the 2 boxes is and it's hard to see with the current pictures.

This is a great idea though, I really want to do something similar eventually since I love keeping things in their original boxes but I also like organization, so this solution mixes the 2 perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hardin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
I agree with you that the boxes and the art assets are far too beautiful to just toss out once the cards are opened. I did a similar project a little bit ago, building custom inserts out of cardboard and duct tape to keep all of my encounter cards together.

Here's an insert I made for one of the cycles. (The pictures are from Heirs of Numenor, but I've got Khazad-Dûm set up the same way.) The top two banks have the three quests from the deluxe box, as well as all of the common encounter sets that will be used throughout the cycle. Then each bank in the bottom row holds two adventure packs worth of encounter sets.

Here's a different one I made for the Saga expansions. Each box is designed to hold two Saga expansions, or one "book". The first saga goes on the left, the second saga goes on the right, and there are two slots in the middle to store my player decks between sessions for "campaign mode". The picture is of the Hobbit boxes, but I've also got The Black Riders and The Road Darkens paired up in a box now, too.

I have my player cards in binders, so the goal was just to create something that makes transporting to game night easier, preferably with one small box that holds everything I need for multiple playthroughs.

I love seeing all of the creative ways that gamers repurpose and otherwise lay claim to the various "useless" odds and ends the manufacturers leave them with. I think it shows a certain level of caring and dedication to the game on their part. It's a shame that FFG seems to think of their creation as so disposable, forcing us to get creative to find a way to keep these around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Drouillard
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
I will post some more pictures tonight!

I'm not sure exactly how FFG expected people to store cards. The adventure packs make sense the way they are packaged, but the deluxe expansions really confuse me. They probably just used the same assets to make boxes that they have for their competitive games (netrunner, game of thrones etc) that make more sense to get rid of the boxes. It doesn't really make much sense for this game where you have some player cards and some encounter cards.

My player cards are all in my core box, so it was really a matter of finding the right way to store all of the encounter cards. The colour matching and really nice art was what made me think of combining the boxes! Such a shame to just throw them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls