designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bowline Tree
by Nancy Hutchins

This is for the One Page PnP Contest.

2 to 6 Players
Ages 8+
15 to 30 minutes

You live happily with your warren in a rabbit hole. Every year the warren holds the annual Bowline Tree Race. And you really want to win this year and be top dog . .er . . rabbit. The race is simple: you exit the rabbit hole, travel around the Bowline Tree, and then return back to the rabbit hole. Be the first and you are the winner. Ah, but watch out for the rocks - ouch!

Components: 9 Lawn cards; 2 6-sided movement dice; 6 different color rabbit markers (wood cubes work great or paint some pennies). You must be able to mark an X on one side of the markers.

Rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nywmwogfoqkct3/Rules.pdf?dl=0
Components: https://www.dropbox.com/s/myb0nvs6uzz2euj/Cards.pdf?dl=0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nancy,

Some interesting ideas you've got there.
The game, however, is pretty cruel, since you have no chance to race where you want to, if you don't end up on the proper arrows.

I wish, you could have more options to influence the direction you are racing into.

Maybe on a pair, you decide your direction instead of having to run according to the arrow?

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Hi Nancy,

Some interesting ideas you've got there.
The game, however, is pretty cruel, since you have no chance to race where you want to, if you don't end up on the proper arrows.

I wish, you could have more options to influence the direction you are racing into.

Maybe on a pair, you decide your direction instead of having to run according to the arrow?

Kind regards,
Kai

Great idea. I ghave implemented it into the rules :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a neat idea! You are now in the mix!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MamaGames
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nancy -

I printed The Bowline Tree today & my daughter was eager to try it with me. The problem we ran into was that it seemed nearly impossible to go fully around the tree in one set of dice rolls - we kept getting behind the tree and then sent out in the wrong direction. We thought perhaps that it would be better to count the six spaces behind the tree as having gone "around" it - as long as you land on one of those and then move away, you'd count for having gone around the tree.

I also had a question about the big rock - in the bottom left corner of my picture - there's a diagonal arrow pointing down and to the left one space away from the rock. If I read the rules correctly, if you landed there, no matter what you rolled (other than doubles), you'd immediately hit the rock and "bounce" back into that space. It would be essentially a trapped space until you could roll doubles and go in the opposite direction. Was that the intention for that space?

We loved the theme of the game and I appreciated that the board was 9 small cards - I fit the cards, a folded 50% reduction of the rules (still legible), 2 small dice, and the 6 buttons we chose to use as markers into a 3x4" plastic baggie that we can add to our travel games bag quite nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pisecobabe wrote:
Hi Nancy -

I printed The Bowline Tree today & my daughter was eager to try it with me. The problem we ran into was that it seemed nearly impossible to go fully around the tree in one set of dice rolls - we kept getting behind the tree and then sent out in the wrong direction. We thought perhaps that it would be better to count the six spaces behind the tree as having gone "around" it - as long as you land on one of those and then move away, you'd count for having gone around the tree.

I also had a question about the big rock - in the bottom left corner of my picture - there's a diagonal arrow pointing down and to the left one space away from the rock. If I read the rules correctly, if you landed there, no matter what you rolled (other than doubles), you'd immediately hit the rock and "bounce" back into that space. It would be essentially a trapped space until you could roll doubles and go in the opposite direction. Was that the intention for that space?

We loved the theme of the game and I appreciated that the board was 9 small cards - I fit the cards, a folded 50% reduction of the rules (still legible), 2 small dice, and the 6 buttons we chose to use as markers into a 3x4" plastic baggie that we can add to our travel games bag quite nicely.

That is how I have played the tree. As long as you get half way behind the tree you are good. As far as the rock. That layout in the pitcute happened to be a bad random arrangment of the cards. Glad you and your daughter like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
You posted a message on the nine-card nanogame contest thread asking for this game to be both removed and entered into that contest. Because the message was confusing, Joseph asked for clarification instead of taking any action. I have reviewed the situation and asked Joseph to remove your game from the 9-card nanogame contest. If your intention was otherwise, please let everyone know and update your WIP to point at the right contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
I played this game tonight with my nine-year-old son. We stopped early as one of us got stuck between two rocks with all arrows between them pointing at one rock or another. I don't remember exactly how we got into that situation, but I assume there could have been an alternative choice made earlier to avoid getting stuck. Nonetheless, the fact of being permanently stuck broke the game for us. There should be a few minor game design changes any of which would prevent this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I dropped the ball on this one and didn't check to see if you dropped your game from the other contest. This should be a rule in this contest and I will make sure it is updated and in the rules for next year.

I agree that if the above mentioned game "The bowline Tree" is still in the other contest then it will be removed from this contest. I forgot about this because I never received an answer.

So, Nancy, if you want to stay in this contest you will have to remove your game from the other contest!! If you want to stay in the other contest then I will go ahead and remove your entry from this contest.

I need an answer by the end of the day, otherwise I'll just take it as this contest was your second thought and will go ahead and remove the game from this one!

Thanks

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MamaGames
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nancyhutch wrote:
That layout in the pitcute happened to be a bad random arrangment of the cards. Glad you and your daughter like the game.

Just to be clear: that's not the case, because the arrow I am talking about is on the ~same card~ as the two-space grey rock, and points directly to the rock. If you land there, any number you roll - besides doubles - will have you bounce off the rock and land back on that same space, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
It just occurred to me that bushes might be better than rocks. End your turn on a Bush if your movement would take you through it. If you start your turn in a Bush, move to any adjacenct arrow before rolling. No more getting stuck and now you have more control over your movement. I might be willing to give the game another try by treating rocks as bushes.

Before I had that idea, I thought it might help to place the tree in the center and the rock cards in the corners. I think having the tree in the center may still be a good idea, but everything else can be randomized. Trying to go around the tree when it is one square from the edge of the board was an exercise in futility even before we got permanently stuck.

Look at the sample card layout. With the tree in the corner, there is only one space on the whole board that can go around the tree and you need to roll a six on it. I'm not counting spaces that let you wrap around the board. It's just not clear at all what going around the tree means when you include warping.

I think wrapping around board edges is confusing and unthematic. I recommend all edges of the board are blocked. Stream, road, cliff, whatever. Hit an edge and stop. You can always travel the opposite direction of an arrow if you are on an edge. Or maybe you can always travel along the edge. Something other than wrapping, which confuses what it means to go around the tree. A single square width track around each edge pointing in alternating directions (straight, diagonal left, diagonal right) back to the cards could also work.

Edit: I'm not illiterate, just typing with my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brettspielwerkstatt
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen, Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easy to reach the tree but hard to go back in the hole.

My PnP:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BrainArt wrote:
It is easy to reach the tree but hard to go back in the hole.

My PnP:

Yup :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Praciano
msg tools
The download links are off, can you repost them? I'm really looking foward into this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure I will repost them tonight in Dropbox.

Nancy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the link to the two files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3fecuiv22gb2f5d/AAA3Z-NBwXjrfEBeD...

Have fun :-)

Nancy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was awaiting the files. Thanks but I must report rules file only shows the graphic of the Bowline Tree, there is no actual text. Please repost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops sorry!

Try again:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3fecuiv22gb2f5d/AAA3Z-NBwXjrfEBeD...

Nancy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls