Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Laporte
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just Kickstarted this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/colosseum...

I like the direction TMG has taken with the game. The original was classy, but it was very flat looking. Going with a more three-dimensional approach will really bring the game to life. The game is all about putting on spectacles after all!

The more upbeat and colourful graphic design is more family-friendly for sure, which is great for me, since I'll by playing this with my wife and son more often than not. I know some hardcore gamers who loved the original are disappointed with the new look, but I for one am very excited about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool a 3rd thread about this!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1412587/colosseums-coming-b...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1437065/who-planning-kickst...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
mainshane wrote:
Just Kickstarted this.

I like the direction TMG has taken with the game. The original was classy, but it was very flat looking. Going with a more three-dimensional approach will really bring the game to life. The game is all about putting on spectacles after all!

The more upbeat and colourful graphic design is more family-friendly for sure, which is great for me, since I'll by playing this with my wife and son more often than not. I know some hardcore gamers who loved the original are disappointed with the new look, but I for one am very excited about it.

I am happy for you that you are going to finally get to experience this really good game. I am one of the hardcore gamers who has the original version and glad I do. But the more important thing is someone else is getting to play this classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful posting positive stuff here. There is alot of vitriol coming from 1st edition owners about how much they have a seething hatred for the new artwork (even though it's on par with all of TMG previous artwork, which is odd that people are mad about it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Though I'd also like to think that there are a lot of us who have or have played the DOW version who are most thankful that new gamers will own or play the TMG version. The more who learn it, means the more who can play it. Either version. Same for the more who own it, the more who can teach it. So a win-win. I just look forward to seeing more people in my large gaming group play it. I think 2 of our members are Kickstarting the TMG version. (And we can even be a bit selfish. Playing someone's TMG version means not having to play your own DOW version. Less wear and tear. Less chance of losing a piece. Etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Be careful posting positive stuff here. There is alot of vitriol coming from 1st edition owners about how much they have a seething hatred for the new artwork (even though it's on par with all of TMG previous artwork, which is odd that people are mad about it)

I think that the new artwork looks really good, but I also really like my old version. I see no reason to get the new version personally, but I am happy that the game will be avalible again for the people who wanted a copy of the game and couldn't get one.

I only reason I could have to be unhappy is that my game probally is going to decrease in value now, but wasn't planing to sell it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scribner
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:

This is an open forum, and people should be able to post whatever they want in terms of criticism or excitement. Some of that "vitriol" you describe is coming from people like myself who, having had the opportunity to play the beautiful and well-designed original game, are grumpy about the art direction on this re-release. I don't own the original, and was very much looking forward to this re-release as a chance to finally get a copy at a decent price. The new art direction is a big turn-off for me, because I'm holding it up to the standard of the original, which was very much more to my liking in terms of iconography and craftsmanship of components. Not saying everyone has to agree with that, just my opinion. As such I'll keep saving up my pennies and some day I'll own a copy of the original which I love so much. I think I can safely say on behalf of all the "haters" that I'm very happy that a re-release is coming in any form, however, and that lots of people are going to get to enjoy this wonderful game in whatever form they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bijan Ajamlou
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree. The new art direction from TMG make me puke in my mouth. Why didn't the TMG just buy the license for the artwork? For me its also worth nothing that all Days of Wonder games include stretch goals from the start. For me the kickstarter stretch goals feels empty when all stretch goals are ready from start... Whats more is that Sweden is starting to take taxes from kickstarter projects so with a high dollar and taxes why would any one want to kickstart a game that locks inferior to the first edition and is much more expensiv. I bough the Days of wonder original new for 40 dollar 2 years ago and I am happy. would have been nice if Days of wonder did a deluxe version of it like they did with small world, or an expansion for the original edition.

Steelcrystal wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

This is an open forum, and people should be able to post whatever they want in terms of criticism or excitement. Some of that "vitriol" you describe is coming from people like myself who, having had the opportunity to play the beautiful and well-designed original game, are grumpy about the art direction on this re-release. I don't own the original, and was very much looking forward to this re-release as a chance to finally get a copy at a decent price. The new art direction is a big turn-off for me, because I'm holding it up to the standard of the original, which was very much more to my liking in terms of iconography and craftsmanship of components. Not saying everyone has to agree with that, just my opinion. As such I'll keep saving up my pennies and some day I'll own a copy of the original which I love so much. I think I can safely say on behalf of all the "haters" that I'm very happy that a re-release is coming in any form, however, and that lots of people are going to get to enjoy this wonderful game in whatever form they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, the new version looks pretty good to me. The meeples are the only thing I dislike and that is because they look like backdrop characters from a Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon. Still, they can be easily replaced with meeples or pawns so are not a big deal.

I don't understand why people are so hellbent on the box art and no one is talking about the cool metal coins! Even the "layered" coliseums are cool. These are absolutely UPGRADES from the previous version. The board looks fine (it really does, though I understand there are preferences for the DOW version), and while the wooden bits for upgrades are somewhat unclear what they are, it's pretty easy to figure out - there are only a few and the game is just not that difficult to learn. I have faith that my gaming groups can figure it out.

I'm glad this great game (that I have played but do not own) is finally getting a reprint and I'm proud to be a first-day backer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MitchLav wrote:
You know, the new version looks pretty good to me. The meeples are the only thing I dislike and that is because they look like backdrop characters from a Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon. Still, they can be easily replaced with meeples or pawns so are not a big deal.

They've been saying for days that they are changing the meeples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
TwentySides wrote:

Hadn't seen that. Could you link me to some official word about that?
Does this mean (to steal another forum members description) no more "Little Caesar" silk screened meeples? Doing away with those would be a goal worth unlocking in my book.
Interesting new marketing plan.
Unlock stretch goals that LATER stretch goals do away with to improve game aesthetics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bijanajamlou wrote:
I totally agree. The new art direction from TMG make me puke in my mouth. Why didn't the TMG just buy the license for the artwork?

DoW let the rights to the game lapse and TMG made a new deal with the designer. But DoW still owns the artwork. There are many theories as to why TMG didn't buy the 1st ed. artwork from DoW, but the most likely is that it wasn't for sale.

bijanajamlou wrote:
For me its also worth nothing that all Days of Wonder games include stretch goals from the start. For me the kickstarter stretch goals feels empty when all stretch goals are ready from start... Whats more is that Sweden is starting to take taxes from kickstarter projects so with a high dollar and taxes why would any one want to kickstart a game that locks inferior to the first edition and is much more expensiv.

TMG is running the Kickstarter, not DoW. And they don't have any control over the Swedish government. The new edition is $60, which isn't unreasonable for a game this size. The original DoW edition had an MSRP of $50 in 2007.

bijanajamlou wrote:
I bough the Days of wonder original new for 40 dollar 2 years ago and I am happy. would have been nice if Days of wonder did a deluxe version of it like they did with small world, or an expansion for the original edition.

You bought the original, new, for less than MSRP a full seven years after it was published and you wonder why DoW never put out a deluxe version or expansions? You got a great deal on an OOP game that had disappointing sales. Congratulations!

Since I missed out on the DoW edition, I'm happy that it's no longer OOP. The artwork is different, but I've enjoyed Jacqui Davis' work in other games so I'm hopeful that the final product will be something my family will enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
MitchLav wrote:

Not exactly. They said they decided to offer full-color stickers for the meeples as a stretch goal, apparently with the same cartoonish art, and are looking into alternate meeples as another stretch goal, but it has not been announced in any update I've received to date. If you have other information, I'd love to see it. The meeples in the game are my only real complaint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Stürmer
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of things can happen during a kickstarter campaign. I have seen quite a few changes in components because of comments/requests.whistle

TwentySides wrote:
MitchLav wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Laporte
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really love the new game board. To me it's an upgrade. So much cleaner and clearer to look at. And the event tickets (or scrolls) also look better and will have the actual names of the tiles you need on them. The colosseum's themselves are going to better, the wood expansion pieces, the metal coins... I don't know, to me it's just better in every respect. I know the meeples have become a big deal to a lot of people, but TMG have already said they are going to rethink them.

Very excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spear Turtle
United States
flag msg tools
they did a really poor job with their last kickstarter. why pay more for a crappier looking product that you will get after people who buy on line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpeartheTurtle wrote:
they did a really poor job with their last kickstarter. why pay more for a crappier looking product that you will get after people who buy on line?

First, I've backed three other TMG campaigns and was satisfied with the results.

Second, I don't think it's crappier looking, just different.

Third, yes, I could withdraw my pledge and buy it online after it comes out since it's safely funded now. But rather than save a few bucks (where TMG only gets the wholesale cost), I prefer to give them a little more of my money to thank them for taking the risk to produce a new edition of a game that didn't break any sales records the first time it came out. For purely selfish reasons mind -- I hope it encourages them (and other publishers) to find other good but OOP games to reintroduce to the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
That is something SuperMeeple is set up to do. Re-print classic OOP games. See their recent wonderful new edition of Mexica. They are planning to do something similar with Tikal and Java.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say what you want about the art.

All I know is my wife wouldn't even give the old edition the time of day, but she actually said this looked neat. I'm sure the "generic" colorful art will appeal to a lot of more light weight gamers, where as the old version would not interest them one bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Laporte
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's ironic is that one of the reasons the game didn't sell all that well for Days of Wonder, I imagine, is that the box cover and overall design seemed to maybe promise gladiator battles and such and maybe draw in more hardcore gamers... but it was always intended to be (like many of their other games) more of a family game. The board itself is more serious looking (I played the original and don't really like the board itself, it's too much of the same colour), although the pawns were very nice. Probably the best feature component-wise and probably why the new meeples are such a point of debate because it's such a tough act to follow.

The art in the new version I feel more closely matches the gameplay and fun of putting on shows in ancient Rome and will attract a new group of fans. I'm one of them. I much prefer the look of this new version (and I'm sure my family will as well). But again... it all comes down to PERSONAL TASTE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Laporte
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: They've just released the new art for the meeples on the Kickstarter page. Seems like everyone is thrilled about them. They're going to be stickers and you can choose whether to use them or stick with the silkscreen art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Navarrete
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new look of the meeples is fantastic. I did like the original pawns from the first edition (very classic feel), but this new look is very nice as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, the stickers are a big improvement over the cartoonish silk screening they will be printed with. Thanks for doing this, TMG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Laporte
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The final stretch goal has been reached! Can't wait to get my hands on this game, which is going to look fantastic on my table with all those 3D pieces. I just saw a video of someone reviewing the DOW version and it reminded me how flat that game looked.

Can't wait to teach my wife and son how to play COLOSSEUM!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking forward to it being re released. Then I saw that they basically ruined the feel of the whole game by making it into a Facebook app chibi art. Maybe I'll get it and shed the front of the box up (not kidding) because it looks hideous and makes me look as though I like candy land and sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.