Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow. That is probably as much of a sensible review as you are going to get out of this game.

I found Polarity in a thrift store for $1 many years ago. It was missing the rules. The picture on the box showed a strange sight indeed. Looked like a bunch of Othello pieces lying on a piece of canvas. But some of them were lying on edges, magically suspended in the air. So I bought it. From all my prowling on the net in the intervening years, I could never find a copy of the rules to find out what this strange image implied.

Until about a month ago. Wow.

The bits are simple, a big roll up canvas board, and lots and lots of magnets. Each player starts by playing some magnets flat on the board. Then each player takes turns balancing magnets on their edges, kept balanced on one side by the magnetic field of the magnets.

There are rules for dealing with the weird situations, like when magnets are knocked out of position, or leap up to contact other magnets. But this is a game that requires a steady hand, with just a touch of strategy.

The coolest part is during the endgame, when bringing a magnet anywhere NEAR the field causes all of the balanced magnets to waver and ripple. And sometimes the magnets roll changing the delicate balance that is keeping some other magnets in place.

The game has that wonderful Bamboleo feel of defusing a mine on every move-mostly because of the aformentioned ripple affect.

Completely surreal. I understand that the game was produced and sold in Canada, so you might try contacts up north to find copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.