BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Tiki Quake (Contest ready) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daniel grolimund
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is my submission for the 2016 9-Card Nanogame Print and Play Design Contest:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1491476/2016-9-card-nanogam...

It's like chess on an island... with gods and earthquakes!

Tiki quake is a short 2 player game of two tribes fighting over an island and its mighty gods. There are many strategies that lead to a win, but the moody gods are not always on your side. A game of tactics, luck and a earthquakes that shake up the islands shape!

This is my first game ever, I hope you will like it!

it's a game for 2 players and takes about 10 minutes to play.

To Play it, you need the following components in addition to the cards:
- dice of the colors red, green, blue and white
- 4 dark cubes/stones/meeples
- 4 light cubes/stones/meeples
- The Files:
Front Side: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlgcxi9dv6h5bvr/Tiki%20Quake%20Fro...
Back Side (optional): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ish16jn3rabpetr/Tiki%20Quake%20Bac...
Rules Page 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqnm2rdfd9ehqmd/Tiki%20Quake%20Rul...
Rules Page 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l53z6metzn01eno/Tiki%20Quake%20Rul...

I would like to compete in the following categories:
Best 2-player Game
Best Thematic Game (Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Dungeon Crawl, etc)
Best Wargame
Best Written Rules
Best Artwork
Best New Designer
Most Innovative Mechanic Category

Game setup

Ongoing game

End of game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!! Another last minute entry!! I love it! Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This one looks very good. I hope to play it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have this printed out and I'm ready to play but I have some questions:

1. What is the significance of the volcano island card?
2. Can I perform any of the three actions "such as move three times" or do I have to perform THE three stated actions in any order?
3. Does the volcano island stop movement or is it just for show?
4. What happens if you quake all four islands off are left with just the huts?
5. During the PRAY action it says you can try to use the power of up to the three different Tiki Gods, does this mean you can try for each of the three God powers every turn?

Your rules are very easy to follow and are nice, short and colorful! Nice job!

The graphics are very cool!

I love the quake power, great mechanic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right off the bat I think you should have a negative affect if you try to roll a Tiki God power and fail!! This just seem to easy that you get to try each of the three Tiki God powers but nothing happens if you fail your roll!

After you attempt to roll a Tiki God power and fail, does the die still get rerolled to a new number or does it just stay as is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have some questions regard QUAKE!

1. So, if you get the Green Tiki god power you get to slide two cards by one step. Example: one card could slide up one and the card to its left could slide down one step correct?

2. what if you Volcano card is the one that slides off the island, what do you do then?

3. If the island breaks in two you say the part with the volcano will become the playfield and the other cards are removed! Does this mean the island now is made up of two huts and a single volcano card in the middle?

4. Seem weird that you can move over a volcano card, it would seem better if only one of the spaces had a volcano image and the other didn't so you could only move on the single space to get past the volcano card!

Right off the bat I can see you adding other NEW island images to the back side of the cards instead of logos, this way if you have three of your token on the same level you could get a power that would allow you to flip a card over to create a new island!!!! There are so many possibilities of using an action or power to flip over new island cards!! This would be very cool and add so much more to the game play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel grolimund
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello Joseph

Many many thanks for your excellent feedback. There might be a unclarity in my rules about the vulcano/quake element. Here is my sum up of this rule:

The normal Quake power allows you to slide the island part that's left of a canyon (the canyon is the space between two island cards) and the part that is right of the canyon, by one field.

If this leads to a break of the island, the half with the volcano will become the playfield and the other cards are removed!

All cubes on the removed island part are removed to the graveyard.

These ara my thoughts on your points:

--- Your first post ---

1. What is the significance of the volcano island card?

I needed a landmark, that marks the part of the island that stays the playing field in case a part of the island breaks off (because of a quake). If you manage to break off your opponent and only you stay on the part with the volcano, you win the game.

2. Can I perform any of the three actions "such as move three times" or do I have to perform THE three stated actions in any order?

You can perform all three main actions in your turn (move, pray, meditate) but you are NOT allowed to mix them. You can therefore NOT move 1 field, meditatate, and then move another field. If you do not want to perform one of the main actions, you can skip it.

3. Does the volcano island stop movement or is it just for show?

See point 1. And for now it does not have any other affect on the game play.

4. What happens if you quake all four islands off are left with just the huts?

You can quake off both huts, but due to the rule with the volcano, it is not possible to have an island with just the two huts.

5. During the PRAY action it says you can try to use the power of up to the three different Tiki Gods, does this mean you can try for each of the three God powers every turn?

Yes!

--- your second post ---

I made it easy to use the Tiki Gods to balance the possibility to win too quicky by meditating... Therefore I did not want to penalize failed tiki god roll...

After you attempt to roll a Tiki God power and fail, does the die still get rerolled to a new number or does it just stay as is?

It stays, to make the game a bit less random.

--- your third post ---

1. So, if you get the Green Tiki god power you get to slide two cards by one step. Example: one card could slide up one and the card to its left could slide down one step correct?

The normal Quake power allows you to slide the island part that's left of canyon ( the canyon is the space between two island cards) and the part that is right of the canyon by one field. If you have the the bonus power, you can perform two quakes)

2. what if you Volcano card is the one that slides off the island, what do you do then?

It could be possible that the Vocano is the last card of the island! All other 5 cards (including the huts) could be removed from the play field.

3. If the island breaks in two you say the part with the volcano will become the playfield and the other cards are removed! Does this mean the island now is made up of two huts and a single volcano card in the middle?

You can only break an island in two at a canyon. the half of the island with the volcane stays the play field. All cubes on the other island part are removed to the graveyard and can be brought back into the game again with the blue god. It is a strategy to quake off the opponents hut and then kill (red tiki god) the remaining cubes on the island to be the only one left on the island.

4. Seem weird that you can move over a volcano card, it would seem better if only one of the spaces had a volcano image and the other didn't so you could only move on the single space to get past the volcano card!

Very very good point! Too bad i was so late with submitting the game, so I guess this would be too big of a change now after the deadline...

I can see you adding other NEW island images to the back side of the cards instead of logos

You are totally right! Or new elements for advanced players. There is so much things that could be added!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Daniel. Good luck in the contest!

I just played through the game. My thoughts and questions:

When you meditate, what happens if two of your cubes are on sacred fields? Do you get to advance twice? What if the sacred fields are the same color? Or different colors?

I love the art, theme and mechanics of your game! I agree that there is room for expansion simply by making use of the card backs. The god power card could also have an alternate side for alternate god powers, btw.

It did seem like the best strategy is to quake the other tribe off the island. In this playthrough, neither tribe meditated on any god except the green one. Then it was just a back-and-forth race to quake each other off the island. One player missed his roll, so he couldn't counter the other player's quake, and that was the end of the game for him. Maybe more playtests will change that, though.

I wonder if the game should be set up to start with the god's power dice all set to 6. That would make it less of an advantage for the first player. In my game, the green die started at 1, so the first player invoked the green god to start quaking the other player off the island. It was an obvious move, and it set the tone for the whole game, but not in a good way.

I think this game has a lot of potential. Just needs a few tweaks, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel grolimund
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Nate,

Thanks for your feedback.

If you meditate, and have two cubes on sacred fields, you can get the advantage for each of the two cube. (e.g. when both are on a green field, you can move the cube on the green tiki totem two fields up. If you have one on a red field and one on a blue field, then you can move the counter up on the red and the blue tiki totem by one field each)

The Quake power is strong, but if you move a cube on the right side of the volcano field, or on the volcano field, you are safe from the quake action. You can the focus on meditating or removing the opponent with the red god power.

The layout of the island and the numbers of the tiki gods will force you to change or adapt your strategy for each new game.

I would love to hear your ideas on what could be done an the backsides!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls