Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight - Funkenschlag! As we played, we listened to old Club 8, older Matthew Sweet, and the new Belle & Sebastian.

I'm not surprised that my wife likes this game, even though it's considered a gamer's game. She loves Empire Builder, she likes resource management, and likes games where it's hard to directly hose someone. F-schlag is a pretty good fit for her. The only thing lacking is beautiful components, but that's half-fixed since I printed out the larger map from the BBG.

Anyway, this was our second go playing this as a 2-player game. I purposely kept myself from trying to hose her in the building phase (see above comment), and she did likewise for me I think. So victory came down to the person who managed their bids and recourses the best.

She did. By far.

She won by 104 bucks in the tiebreak. I was lucky to have a tiebreak at all. If she hadn't forgotten to buy coal the previous turn, she could have powered 24 cities to my 21.

Thing is, I was only a few bucks behind, by my calculations, going into the third step. She was suffering under the burden of 2 uranium plants (with only 1 uranium resource appearing each round), so I thought my chances of winning were pretty good. Then I made the mistake of letting her get the 60 fusion plant for base price. I thought for sure the game was going to end before she could make back her money. But it didn't. I was forced to by a 50 oil along with the recourses to power it for several turns.

Ugh.

She consoled me by telling me it was a learning game. Thing was, it was only a learning game for her. I've played at least four times, so I should have known better.

This was the second night in a row we played this game. That means it's a hit. Her only complaint is it does take a long time, so you have to lock down an evening to play it. Otherwise, shlag-away!

Mike Mayer
mayer3@optonline.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.