Subject: End game scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Carnes

jefferson
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
We finished PoD last night, as we where doing the end game scoring, we had a discussing about monster/adversary/minions (whatever they where called, I forget)kills for points. Part of the group thought we had to go back thru all the cards and tally up all of our kills for 3pts each. Other side thought, only what we killed in the last room.

How did you guys handle the scoring for "kills"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Craig Boyd
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Seouldier on!
badge
Wanna go Congo, Playboy?
mbmbmbmbmb
I went back and looked at the wording on the score card after reading this question and I will say that I think my group did it incorrectly. We only scored for enemies defeated in the last dimension!

The score card says:
You score the following points according to your performance on Linaïs.
For each opponent defeated: 3MP.

It turns out Linaïs is the name of the planet, not the last dimension like we (incorrectly) assumed.

With our old scoring, we only scored 20 points (measly scoring compared to how well I thought we performed.) I thought maybe this was just a low scoring scenario.
With scoring it just based on the last run and counting the opponents we defeated, our score jumped to 41.
With scoring for literally EACH opponent defeated in all combined runs, it was well over the last scoring range, so I don't think that is correct.

I feel that our new score more accurately reflects the way we scored in the previous scenarios. Now excuse me while I go tell everyone that played with me. Thanks for posing the question!

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time you defeat an enemy you remove him from the location as you won't encounter him there if you come back. So to score you just count all those guys. But only from this run, as they come back to their place in each run. They should have told you this again in the base (it's in the rules, but people often ignore it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Jones
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
That makes sense, though at first blush I'm not sure I like it.

Using that scoring, it seems that if you took one of the combat-heavy paths, you'd score more points based on luck alone. I suppose if you took one of the other less-combat paths, you'd be able to maybe acquire more gold and earn points that way? Not sure.

When my group played it, we read it as "enemies killed in the final fight". I think that is more indicative of true mission success, in that the more of those boss-style enemies that spilled in from the rift that you killed before sealing it, the better. The rest of the less-powerful enemies in other areas of the world don't matter as much.

Our "correct" score is now 44, and with our own scoring it would be 29.

44: (27 from kills, 16 from TUs, 1 gold, someone died in last fight)

29: (12 from 4 "boss" kills, 16 from TUs, 1 gold, someone died in last fight)

EDIT: I'm assuming enemies killed from Encounter cards do not count towards the total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So what is the final official ruling on this?

And what constitutes a defeated opponent? Is Encounter card #169 considered to be an "opponent"? How can I tell what is and isn't an opponent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everything you fight and defeat (thus remove from the deck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
everything you fight and defeat (thus remove from the deck)
So anything that I have to complete a check against it sounds like. I would guess that this excludes checks during the

Spoiler (click to reveal)
dungeon portion of the mystery deck (agility X for each person or team combat Y), but would include things from the Vortex and Encounter decks (apologies if Encounter is the wrong name as I only remember Vortex right now)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hedrick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Every time you defeat an enemy you remove him from the location as you won't encounter him there if you come back. So to score you just count all those guys. But only from this run, as they come back to their place in each run. They should have told you this again in the base (it's in the rules, but people often ignore it)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Our group put the original deck back in the box (putting defeat enemies back in the deck) when we switched to the mystery deck, because to us it seemed that's what it was instructing us to do. At end game, we had no idea how many enemies we had defeated and ended up giving ourselves an inaccurately low score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knight Bob
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to unearth the subject, but having played the scenario recently we had the same questions concerning the scoring at the end, and searching for precisions on BGG isn't really helpfull with the many differents answers :/

As I understand the card 147 (when we begin the mystery deck), we have to put in the box all cards previously used (even the discarded ones). So to score at the end, as said by card 63, we have to count defeated opponents, so only those present in the discard pile (only from the mistery deck).

I've contacted Space Cowboys via Facebook, and they answered me that we have to count the opponents from the beginning of the last run.

I'm waiting for precisions to be sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It think you should count all enemies you have defeated during the successful run, meaning if you started from the mystery deck the enemies you defeated before count too, even if you started more then once there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knight Bob
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had official answer via Facebook by Space Cowboys!!

It's as I said before :
To score at the end, as said by card 63, we have to count defeated opponents in the successful run, and only those we can count, so only those present in the discard pile (from the mystery deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knightbob wrote:
I had official answer via Facebook by Space Cowboys!!

It's as I said before :
To score at the end, as said by card 63, we have to count defeated opponents in the successful run, and only those we can count, so only those present in the discard pile (from the mystery deck).
I'm sorry, but for all the money we are paying for these very successful, high volume expansions, I think we are right to expect more clearcut explanations -- in the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls