Core Worlds Digital» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Another Core Worlds Digital review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
flag msg tools
Bottom line: this is a faithful adaptation that has numerous problems. For big fans of the game, it's a reasonable purchase, but for others, it's probably best to wait and see if the problems with the current release have been addressed.

-Faithful adaptation of the mechanics

-Uses all the cards in the base game, along with some interesting new cards.

-Plays very quickly on my iPad Mini 2. The AI moves take less than a second each.

-Graphics are interesting

-Online Multiplayer and Undo are currently grayed out, indicating this game is not currently finished

-Certain cards are broken and do not work. The most egregious I have found is that Expert Trainer, a new tactic card, causes you to lose your entire turn any time you use it (which any reasonable amount of playtesting should have caught).

-Rules summary is brief and game lacks an in-depth tutorial. (For me this wasn't an issue but for a new player I imagine it would be daunting).

-The AI players are weak, and you don't see what their actions are as they take them, so it can be tedious to track their game state

-Compatibility issues -- this game currently works only on newer iPad models, although the developers are supposedly addressing this pronto

-Grinds through every phase and doesn't automatically pass for you when you must pass your turn and have no abilities that you can use.

-Taps don't always register when you're trying to activate cards

-Doesn't save game state, so for instance if the game crashes you lose your current game

With further developer support to fix the broken cards, add in the missing functionality, and expand compatibility to a wider range of devices, this would be a perfectly good adaptation. Given how difficult the developers seem to have found this project, I'm not completely confident that they will be able to address all of this issues, so I can't really recommend it unless you're a hardcore fan of the game already.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.