Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we just hosted another fun game night at our house. We usually expect ~12-20 people. This time we had 18 so we had 4 tables going.

At one table, we attempted to play Thrash and Roll. This was a Kickstarter game that I purchased and a friend was very keen on giving it a go. Unfortunately, the rules (that I read when I got the game about a month ago) had apparently already been revised and there were many conflicts between the rules, the new rules, the instructional videos (2), and the player aid. Ughh!

What seemed to be a potentially fun theme and worker / dice placement game is extremely hindered by its lack of concise rules. This may be the victim of poor translation from German (I believe) and a KS game in need of a bit more playtesting. Fortunately, I do think the game is salvageable and will prove to be fun. However, the first experience was painful.

It got me thinking, what other games have had bad rules? Any funny results because of them? Did the publisher ever fix the problem? Curious for other's thoughts....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics

Edit: I bought it for my boss and his 2x teenage daughters. They tried once, hated the confusion caused by poorly written rules, and never wanted to play again. I traded him another game to get M&M back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed! I'm always looking for good examples of bad rulebooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, in its first printing, had several aspects of its rules that weren't clear. This, along with the individual cards containing aspect that weren't always clear, has lead to over 1500 threads in the game's Rules forum here on BGG as well as a long FAQ / errata page on the publisher's website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Normandie

Great game...rulebook will give you PTSD.

Remember the days when the game rules were printed inside the box lid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Sinnott
Canada
Minesing
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Mice & Mystics has a terrible rule book. They could have at least put an index in there, as I spend a lot of time looking up rules. It is still my second favourite game though.
My Little Pony collectable card game also has a terrible rulebook. It took me a long time to learn to play the game with it. I really enjoy it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
always injured...
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Rulebook was just a few pages, but I couldn't even figure out what I was supposed to do and how to set the game up. Really bad rulebook.

But Thrash'n Roll was really bad, too. The german version of the rulebook had so many mistakes, so many inconsistencies... We finally figured out how to play the game by reading both the german and english rulebook. That was pretty bad. And a shame for a pretty fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
you can't stay angry forever...
badge
...or so i'm told.
mb
Tomb: Cryptmaster has such a terrible rulebook. Mice and Mystics has a pretty bad rule book, but at least it has all of the rules in it...

edit: Lost Legends also has a horrible rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica

The rules are on a stupid faux treasure map...ugh, I had write a "quick Start" sheet for it. Love the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition had a 66-page FAQ (which covered just the Players' Handbook and the Dungeon Master Guide) that I referred to a lot back when I was running a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, in its first printing, had several aspects of its rules that weren't clear. This, along with the individual cards containing aspect that weren't always clear, has lead to over 1500 threads in the game's Rules forum here on BGG as well as a long FAQ / errata page on the publisher's website.
Not only that, but the suggested deck lists were also full of errors. The overall structure and wording is improvable plus using game-specific terms before explaining them is always an absolutely terrible idea.

Another recent thread on this topic: Which rule book do you want re-written
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Does F.A.T.A.L. count? It's horrible for so many reasons that "badly written" is, at most, an afterthought when people speak of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition had a 66-page FAQ (which covered just the Players' Handbook and the Dungeon Master Guide) that I referred to a lot back when I was running a game.

The DM makes the rules in that game. Of course, I am old school...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst I've read was "Eaten by Zombies"
Eaten by Zombies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej80 wrote:
I just played Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game for the first time last night. Someone was "teaching" it but they had to keep referencing and re-reading it and judging that they also had two separate printouts that someone else had compiled to make it more logical, I'm guessing has to be one.

Oh, a big +1 to that. I made the mistake of trying to play with my group without anyone (including me) having played before. I had just watched the TableTop episode and thought I could brush up on rules 10 minutes before playing. I was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook for Road to Enlightenment has been much-maligned. I bought the game for about $12, knowing what many people had said about it. I didn't think the rulebook was terrible (but I did need to read a few parts several times). It definitely could have been better, but some people said it was so bad the game was unplayable. I disagree. The publisher issued a rewrite of the original rules and ultimately the designer suggested that everyone scrap the original rules and follow a new rule set he had written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thread
My worst rulebook belongs to alien uprising. I've read it many times and still no closer to grasping the game. I second death angel card game also luckily there's some handy guides on here to help with that one. Unfortunately not for alien uprising ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Return of the Heroes is pretty atrocious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Death Angel, and it took me a while to get going. But I've played the game just fine (not winning-fine, but a following-some-semblance-of-structure-fine). Or have I? I'd better find a FAQ so I can tell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
Oh, a big +1 to that. I made the mistake of trying to play with my group without anyone (including me) having played before. I had just watched the TableTop episode and thought I could brush up on rules 10 minutes before playing. I was wrong.

Yesterday we ran into "What happens when the hero who can't take Sidekicks pulls a Sidekick off the Ally deck?" and couldn't for the life of us find an answer.

Since it's a beer & pretzels game we just said "Whatever, keep drawing until you get a non-Sidekick."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree on Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game. The collapsing temple rules had my head spinning.

Another rule book in my rogues gallery is Thunderstone. I got so frustrated with the rule book and subsequent errata that I gave up on the game. I've heard the newer versions are much better, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I couldn't bring myself to buy any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of stinkers, but its hard to top the original edition of Myth, which not only did a terrible job of explaining the game but took a huge page count to fail to explain it. The badness carried right on through to the many cards in the game, which were frequently incomprehensible, or referred to rules, cards or models that weren't anywhere in the game.

Its really great when you post about a card saying "OK, this card says three things. A and B make sense, but I have no clue what C means" and the official response is "Oops. A and B are mistakes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhpenland wrote:
Totally agree on Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game. The collapsing temple rules had my head spinning.

Another rule book in my rogues gallery is Thunderstone. I got so frustrated with the rule book and subsequent errata that I gave up on the game. I've heard the newer versions are much better, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I couldn't bring myself to buy any of them.
Ugh. Ditto this. I like the game, but trying to follow the constant rules changes early on left us with no idea how to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhpenland wrote:

Another rule book in my rogues gallery is Thunderstone. I got so frustrated with the rule book and subsequent errata that I gave up on the game.
I didn't have trouble with my edition of the original game, whichever it was. What's more annoying was that there was simply too little game without some house rules, or variants added in expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not say "the worst", but the english rulebook for Mecanisburgo was pretty challenging.

The reason was that it was translated from the spanish original (as GenX Games are from Spain) and most likely the translation was done by a spanish guy (perhaps from GenX itself) without any proper spellchecking and read-through.

As I love the game (alas, not played yet, but awaiting me!), I ventured into rewriting that rulebook - and after many months finally finished it a year ago or so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |