1 Posts

Waterloo 1815: Fallen Eagles» Forums » General

Subject: the devil-in-the-detail :0) Missing British squadrons ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Regulski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

THIS is a great looking game. and the rules are great & well thought out. i do have yet to play a full game.
But whilst admiring the beauty of the counters i could'nt help but notice that the British / KGL regiments were nearly all 4 strength. [ the scale is 100 men per point ]
WHEN i totaled them all up, it came to 7500. whilst all the OB's i've read give about 8800 british / kgl cavalry. that's 1300 " missing ".
[ this does not include the 4600 Dutch Belgium, Brunswick & Hanoverian cavalry present..]
A lot of that is due to " rounding down " of regiment strength to nearest 100...a lot of the regiments have 30 or 40 men above the hundred. No problem.

BUT the following seem " way-out " { all listed as " 4 " with FE}

1st LIGHT DRAGONS { KGL } muster 540
1st KGL HUSSARS - 605
3rd KGL Hussars - 712
[ source, the best website i have seen ]
These KGL regiments were unlikely to be under-strength, as they were the best in the Army, veterans and especially noted for the care of their horses. ALSO comparing with other sources , Kevin Zucker's " Last Battles " does seem to show there " should " be a 1000 or so more BR / KGL cavalry than represented...

Note : the FRENCH and DUTCH cavalry totals work out very correctly - bang on, for the the total strength of the OB's i have read. [ so their " rounding " creates the right total strength..]
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.