Bureaunauts» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review of Bureaunauts based on one Playthrough rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Auxier

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I got to do a playthrough of this game at a Houston area game convention on 4-3-2016.

I think the creators did a good job outlining the gameplay and how each round plays out on the BGG page, so I won't speak too much on that, but I would like to say why I played the game initially and what drew me in.

For whatever demented reason, I really liked the idea of a space game that is focusing on climbing a corporate ladder.

This game is not a heavy, epic, strategic struggle. This (to me at least) is a beer and pretzel game that has equal doses of Douglas Adams humor, light strategic decisions, and a bit of luck. Player conflict is resolved by scheduling a meeting with your boss, which is essentially a game of rock, paper, scissor... but using Golf, Drinks, or Poker... and seeing who comes out on top. So you can see it is more about creating a light, enjoyable gaming experience over crushing your opponent through an intense tactical battle.

Do you fight space aliens in the game? Yes, of course you do. What sort of self respecting space game doesn't have aliens.

Are you defending your ship by fighting Space Pirates? Yep.

Are you trying to find ancient relics from past civilizations? Absolutely.

Are you doing this to further your race or bring glory to your kind? Umm, no... you just want to impress the bosses and advance your career.

The game played smoothly and quickly on my one (and only) run through. When battles did happened they were resolved in a simple matter that doesn't take a lot to figure out... we all had it down after the first battle and it kept the game flow moving.

The art has an old school 8-bit feel to it. It took me a while to place what it reminded me of but I finally settled on the old Space Quest computer games from Sierra. I think it really fits the mood of the game well, too.

Every action performed requires you to file paperwork for the action. You do that by paying a Photon (token) to process the paperwork and when you are out of Photons you are out of actions for the round... because you could not properly file the paperwork. I loved the idea that if you wanted to do anything in this corporation it had to be tied to paperwork. No paperwork means no travel, no ship upgrades, etc.

There seems to be a great deal of luck in the game. You pick your career goals and, basically, hope you find what you need to complete them on the 8x10 random layout of cards. If you find that your plan is not working you can file paperwork to change the order of your goals or swap out a goal for another if you think it will work out better for you.

As you complete goals you get to play influence cards into the various stacks for each corporate division head. At the game end these stacks get shuffled individually and you randomly draw a card out of each to see who, essentially, sucked up enough to the right people. You could potentially crush everyone in this game and still lose in the end to a player who only got half as far as you did. That may not sit well with some players, but this is not a hardcore game and I thought it fit the theme perfectly... climbing the corporate ladder is never fair.

All in all, I really took to this game. Game play for five of us was about 60 minutes, and it was just about perfect. Long enough to enjoy but it doesn't overstay its welcome. There may be a bit of a balancing issue with some of the career goals but there is a lot of randomization when handing out the goals. That randomization may counter any issue with balance, but, I did only play this once so I can't say for certain. It could also be that I am completely awesome at the game and it was just unfair to play me.

I guess if I had one critique, and this is pretty small, it would be to alter the use of the term Photons. For me it doesn't quite work thematically. Photons are supposed to be your salary for each fiscal period... but... you use them to file paperwork. I think changing Photons into some sort of required document could fix that for me. That way if you run out of form FQ685/J (just as an example) you no longer have the correct documentation that is required to file your paperwork and since you could not file the proper paperwork you cannot move your ship, or bribe a boss, etc. As you were to get promotions you gain the ability to request more documents, or maybe you gain assistants, and in return can file more paperwork per fiscal unit. In my opinion that would shore up a thematic plot hole I felt. Again, this is just something that felt off in the explanation of the Photons and not a major game play issue.

Overall it was a very enjoyable game to play and the more I think about it the funnier it becomes. Definitely looking forward to the Kickstarter campaign later this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
DBAuxier wrote:
... climbing the corporate ladder is never fair....

So true. So true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Markello
United States
Meadows Place
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for writing such a thorough review, David. We are delighted that you enjoyed playing Bureaunauts! Hope to see you again soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.