Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Expansion to Star Wars: Rebellion – dozens of pictures of cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about expansion. Yes I know, the game is still so very fresh, but we can think about expansion, can we? Also we have some previous successes at foreseeing cards. Also, FFG has long tradition of reusing fan ideas into expansions, for common good.

WHAT TIME FRAME?

No Clone Wars, since it would need new units, cards, leaders, and only board could be reusable.
E7 – board doesn’t suit well, You admit.
So rather enriching timeframe between E3 and E6.

NEW LEADERS?

As much as I would love new leaders, like Grand Admiral Thrawn, I think we can forget about it. Most leaders from E4-E6 were included. And producing several leaders would cost a lot due to necessity to retool manufacturing plant (old tools are cheaper, but we couldn’t count on new 25 leaders, do we).

NEW UNITS?

As much as I would love new figures, we can forget about them. It just costs too much, I am afraid. Expansion with plastic Nebulon-B, B-wings, A-wing and TIE-Bomber would cost say ¾ of base game – and that is too much for casual gamer, which is main target for this game for FFG.

So what about TIE bomber, TIE Interceptor, B-Wing and A-Wing? Well, I suppose we can simulate them via side-specific Tactic cards. Players could have possibility to add side-specific Tactic card to the Tactic deck, thus improving and manipulating this deck. F.ex. if Rebel player would draw Imperial specific Tactic card, he could discard it and redraw another one. Of course such side-specific Tactic cards should be MUCH better then typical tactic card, otherwise it would not make sense. Such new Tactic Card could be added by Mission, Project and Event (more later) Cards. Downside is necessity to draw more cards and dividing decks at the start of game. And if you dislike semirandomness of using such Tactic Cards and think think that players should have more control about what fighters they will use, I think You are wrong: at galaxy scale does Mon Mothma really would know if this fighter squadron is armed with Y or B-wings?

TIE Interceptor

TIE Bomber

I am not saying, that they are balanced or anything, they definitely would need a lot of playtesting.
Those cannot add just one Tactic card because then it would be too infrequent and too weak (1 of 16 << 2 of 17). With 2 Tactic cards You can bet that You will find one such card during bigger combat, so such Project is viable.

Interdictor

Remember – this one plastic ship represents whole Star Destroyer squadron. So we can assume, that developing Interdictor Project allows for enhancing every squadron of Star Destroyers with Interdictor.

And for the Rebels counterparts:

B-Wing

Nebulon B-Frigate

Nebulon B-Frigate Tactic Card should let fire Rebel Transports, IMHO.

Any ideas, what exactly should we put into B-wing and Nebulon-B Tactic cards?

I haven't done A-wing as they were predecessing X-Wing, so it is a bit illogical to project outdated equipment.

MORE LIFE INTO UNIVERSE = MORE SYSTEM SPECIFIC CARDS

My biggest gripe about the game as it is now is the universe seems blank and unimaginable, empty and barren, with just few exception. It just makes me irrationally uncomfortable that there are only 5 plot points (Corruscant, Dagobah, Mon Calmari, Kashyyk, Bespin). So how to add life and 3D to such flat universe?

Add more cards connected somehow to other systems. How many? 32-5 = 27 cards.

MORE MISSION CARDS ??

The point is, adding more Mission, Action, Objective and Project Cards bring risk of diluting probability of gaining most important cards.

Of course it could be bypassed with making special deck of Rare Missions (say 12 cards), from which player would draw before game just 2. It would improve (already very high) replayability and add novelty. However such Rare Mission deck would make some cards very improbably and setting game more tedious. So I am against such SubDeck.

I think to avoid diluting (and damage balance) we could accept no more new cards than 2 Rebel Objectives, 3 Imperial Projects, 3 Rebel Mission and 2 Imperial Mission cards.

I am slightly against adding Imperial Mission and Projects which need specific system – such systems would be considered by Empire as more precious then they are and excluded from Death Star target list, thus lowering replayability. It is logical that there would not be Imperial Mission or Project connected to specific systems because a) Empire is so big it doesnt need some local system and b) it discriminates nonhumans.

Bothawui is obvious target for some Rebel intel Mission. Such card should obviously bring the possibility to get Death Star Plans. Afterall:
"Many Bothans died to bring us this information."

See, this card do nothing to loyalty of Bothawui, since Bothan Spynet was more hidden than Mon Calamari shipyards.

OK, so now we have 3 New Missions for Rebels (Construct B-Wing, Construct Nebulon-B and Bothan Spynet) and according to abovementioned assumption we are done with Rebel Missions.

Se we need another deck for 17 cards. Most obvious choice would be Galactic Event Deck.

EVENT CARDS!!!

If Time Marker during Refresh Phase is advanced into new space without Build Icons, players together draw and reveal 1 Event Phase. So in every refresh phase players would either build/deploy units or draw Event Card – there wouldn’t be more interesting/dramatic and less engaging Refresh Phases. 4-7 total Event Cards would be drawn during each game. Event Deck of at least 24 cards would gives enough replayability, though the more the cards the better replayability.

Events would need some action of one or both players and give some rewards (Units, Reputation, cards) accordingly.
Events Designing Purposes:
- replayability
- immersion
- satisfaction of EU SW fans
- remodeling the board from 4 roleplaying nodes (4 systems which You can play Missions) to livid universe
- rebalancing the game during pre- I midgame (reducing snowball effect) while finishing late-game (ging the mercy/blow stroke to a player who loose otherwise)
- possibility for both players to gain specific awesome abilities, at the first sight overpowered (“Wow, I really need this one”) while in reality situationally useful

Abilities:
- stall one per round (“flip this card to skip You Action, unflip during refresh”)
- infinite Mission + Projects Cards hand limit (Page 12 RRG)
- removing game components
- look at one card at the top of the deck (Tactic, Event, Objective etc)
- draw a card instead from Deck from Discard Pile
- draw one more and choose 1, another is returned at the top of deck (there is such ability already, I know)
- retreat just before the battle
- reinforce (“ before a Combat initiated by Your opponent, you may move in units from adjacent systems to participate in the combat.”)
- conversion of opponent’s units into your own units before the battle
- suicidal attacks
- option to change orange production icon into blue and vice versa
- option to change one rectangle production icon into two circles and vice versa
- discarding cards to gain: cards, production resources, immediately new units
- doubled deployment units limit (4 units instead of 2)
- Reputation bonus/malus for chain of systems, connected one to another (Kessel Run, anyone?)

My premises (which may be wrong!):
- rich systems (rectangle resource, first circle resources) do not need another incentive to control, so "their" cards should be independent from control;
- medium systems (two triangles, one circle) may need slight incentive to control, so condition of onetime subjugation should be enough;
- poor systems (single resource) may need stronger incentive to control, (maybe even loyalty) and disincentive to blow with Death Star, so "their" cards may state conditions of control (loyalty?);
- remote planets IMVHO shouldn't invite to control, since they usually house Rebel base.

Lets analyze example of Event Cards, mostly resembling cards presented before:

Mandalore is medium system, so control (subjugation) is needed only once. During next Refresh Phase. So both players has the possibility to plan ahead and occupy this system during this Command Phase.

Since it is easier to accidently win this event, Mandalore Tactics cards cannot be too powerful or too frequent, so just 1 Tactic Card, in contrary to presented before Mission/Projects based Tactic Cards (which need more effort thus bigger reward = 2 Tactic Cards). Mandalore Tactic Card is nice bonus, but we could not rely winning strategy of Galactic Civil War on Mercenaries, could we.

(BTW, any idea what should we put on Mandalore Tactic Card?)

This is the same card, but with Event Icon, based on Time Marker. Nothing impressive, I know. Any ideas? Since I didnt like this Icon, other cards were done without any Event Icon - will complete them if You propose any gcodlooking Event Icon.

You may notice, that Event Cards are grey: these shouldn't be white as Rebel, nor Black as Empire. These could be gold, but for now I did them grey, to underline that mostly those cards are usable for both players.

Planets, from the richest to poorest ones:

Coruscant will go last, for good reasons.

Corellia
Home of Corellian corporation and Corellian smugglers, biggest trade hub, huge shipbuiding capability. Such card has to be powerful.

Geonosis
First Death Star was built there, by billions of worker drones. Geonosis card should be really useful.

Sullust
Home of Sullustians and SoroSuub Megacorporation, selling weapons to both sides of Galactic Civil War. Such card has to be powerful.

... and his counterpart:

Mygeeto
Home of InterGalactic Banking Clan of Muuns, as well as local enslaved Mygeetans.
Imagine the totally improbably situation of controlling both SoruSuub and Banking Clan! 4 triangles into 1 rectangle!

Mustafar
No local vast civilization, so one time effect.

Ord Mantel
Home of Black Sun megacartel, amognst otehr things subcontractor of Second Death Star. Prince Xizor was third person in Empire in his high times.

Cato Nemoidia
One of the purse worlds of Trade Federation. Customer who payed for Death Star Plans. Once galactic superpower, now on the verge of subjugation.

What the Empire should do? Should the Empire play safe, cash in immediately some Projects (military archives of Trade Federation) and eliminate the last vestiges of Neimodians megacartel? Dissolve remnants of Trade Federation? Or maybe risk rebuild and harness its power?

Nal Hutta
Home of Hutt sindicate.
"If You deal with Hutt, everybody will lose, except the Hutt."
I hope this card underlines this dilemma. And I know it seriously needs heavy balaning and playtesting, so do not get emotional about the exact numbers. But You get the idea.

Malastare
Home of Dugs. They have lot of starship fuel, at least they have during Clone Wars.

Its overall poor planet, so this card is big incentive to invade it.

Ryloth
Home of Twi'leks.
Those Twi'leks dancers listen everywhere.
Those agile Twi'leks pilots are excellent.
Those smart Twi'leks crimelords control flow of information from those dancers to these pilots, so they can avoid problems.

Planet Ryloth is relatively poor, so this card give a big incentive to invade. Especially for Rebels, and good, since those beautiful Twi'leks were pro-Rebel.

Tatooine
End of nowhere.
But everybody on Coruscant is watching podrace.
And whoever organize podrace, has ability to enslave attention of most males in the Galaxy. For a moment, but still.
Timing of shows of this addictive, extremely popular races may interrupt activity of whole galaxy.

Dathomir
End of end.
Home of magic wielding witches. Dark Force users. Necromantic.
You have to really have a good reasons to talk to dead, if You go there.
No one stay there for a long.

I know I have ommited many planets, but we can complete them together.

Coruscant

As a Capitol of Galaxy it has to have more then one card, and it will have.

Dilemma. You know, what Emperor has done.

Coup of ambitious Grand Admiral Zaarin. Failed due to underestimation of Dark Force. Still it may create unneeded diversion.

ANYWHERE

"Those Moffs and Admirals grow brazzen and arrogant! Thanks Dark Force we have Lord Vader!"
Its really the worst card for an Empire, but also the one with most prospects! And I know it seems complicated but I have to do such card - just read all those books of Extended Universe or play old TIE Fighter PC game!

Just look at their faces.
Military beaurocracy directing whole Galaxy it is just a recipe for a disaster of galactical proportions.

On the other hand, military fighting against common enemy, especially terrorist one, is unifying experience. Espirit du corpse.

If we feel that we are winning, that is.

If not then:

Not good for an Empire. Definitely.

Rebels also may have few universal Event-card missions, f.ex.:

Those Rebel Troopers are worse then Riekan, but there is so many of them.

And few cards showing more positive side of Empire and creating an opportunity for both sides:

Peacekeeping takes time and resources, but on the ground You may always recruit more stormtroopers from those defeated warlord's armies.
Consider leaving them alone. They still bring those resources, You know.

Ships do not grow on Asteroid fields, unfortunately.
Seriously consider leaving them alone.

What we lack?

Few Event Cards bad for Rebels.
Slavers hunting on Endor.
Wampa furtrappers of Hoth.
Kyber crystals of Ilum.
Bacta prices skyrocketing [Sullust and/or Bespin]
Shortage of Tibanna Gas [Bespin – do we need another card?]

And some techonological miracles, like ancient battleship found by scavengers and offered to highest bidders (both players bidding with hidden Mission Cards?).
Or f.ex.:

Cloaking device /Stygium deposits

Genius scientist has found the way to cloak starships/ Miners has offered huge stash of stygium. Who will first persuade him to join their cause?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cloaking_device/Legends

Cloaking device:
Anytime You may move ('cloak') from system without Leader any number of your units by placing them on this card.
You may add 3 health worth of previously cloaked units to the every combat.

Any more ideas? I am absolutely open for any discussion.

Yes, I know all those cards are overpowered and underconditioned (test should be more difficult! noe only 1!). They need balancing and playtesting, but we can do it together. For our common cause.

FFG had used fan's ideas to create all expansion for TI3.
All veterans of old FFG forums know that.
I am quite sure they will read it, if we show enough enthusiasm they will finally develop expansion for this otherwise great game.

And I am sure we will gladly pass all the rights to any (obvious and logic) ideas to Corey/FGG.

May the Force (color of You choice) be with You. Hope You liked it.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
Nice work !

I agree with your overall idea that the only reasonable expansion would consist of cards/tiles.

Aside from additionnal cards, alternative deck are possible, too.

The "deckbuilding the tactic deck" is a cool idea, but I'm not sure it would work in practice. If it takes one mission to add a few card to the deck, and then you wouldn't even be sure to draw them, the tactic cards themselves would have to be quite powerfull to make it worth it. Which would result in a "all or nothing" situation, where one player would or wouldn't draw his killer card.

Since it is a strategic game, I don't think it would gain much from fleshing out the combat part anyway.

The "event" idea is much better imo. Now, since it is an asymetric game, I believe they should be asymetric, too. It would be too difficult to have events that "work" for both players. Also, I feel we have enough card draw as is.

I'd be more inclined to play "events" if they were drawn at the begining of the game. These would be part of the "initial state" of the Galaxy : there is an uprising in this system, the empire starts with one captured additional leader, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The "deckbuilding the tactic deck" is a cool idea, but I'm not sure it would work in practice. If it takes one mission to add a few card to the deck, and then you wouldn't even be sure to draw them, the tactic cards themselves would have to be quite powerfull to make it worth it. Which would result in a "all or nothing" situation, where one player would or wouldn't draw his killer card.

Exactly. It just needs playtests. Which can be done even by us, if TC were sleeved into covered backs sleeves.

Do the 2 TC will come frequent enough during battle?
Or maybe we need 3 Tactic Cards per Project/Mission, albeit slightly less powerful?

Quote:
The "event" idea is much better imo. Now, since it is an asymetric game, I believe they should be asymetric, too. It would be too difficult to have events that "work" for both players. Also, I feel we have enough card draw as is.

One of my premise, maybe wrong, was to equal the Deah-Star-Target-List.
And to give an incentive to Loyalize all those poor populated planets, like Kessel or Ryloth.

I disliked the idea that planet-specific mission cannot be attempted by both players (except strongly pro-Rebel Mon Calmari , Wookie and Bothans - even Twileks were on both sides). But results, impact of results for both player can be different, obviously, and I tried to simulate this.

Lets take

Kessel

I have done several attempt at this.

Since Kessel is a main source of popular drug, it's logical that control over Kessel should let player take 2 consecutive turns, instead of 1.
2 Actions. Situationaly helpful.

But what about incentive to Loyalize otherwise poor Kessel? Why not just subjugate it? So I did incentive to Imperial player for Loyalization of Kessel. Drug dealing needs streetwise and brings information.

Should the Rebel player got also extra reward for being a drug dealer, essentialy?

I decided no - because they are good guys, and Rebel was always showed like that.

This was created first:

But Black Sun Cartel, Hutt and Han Solo - all of them were Spice Dealers!
So maybe something more specific?

Graphics is maybe too dark. Shady bussines.

And then I started to think. If You open Your civilization for a drug center and drug itself (Vietnam 68, anyone?) it should bring not only reward, but a price, should not?

This card represents the possibility that during Galactic Civil War the spice gets hot and fashionable. And whoever in such situation is unreasonable enough to open his society to uncontrolled inflow of this drug, has to welcome all kind of results.

I know it maybe too radically change flow of game.
But its crazy enough I will playtest it.

And the Pyke Syndicate do not exclude Fashion For Spice. Both of these cards could be in deck! Afterall, this was really popular drug!

Another part of new expansion should be

NEW PROBE CARDS!

Err, but we have already all the probe cards we need?

No, we dont.

See, by injecting few interesting Probe Cards we can add more replayabilty and fun into drawing Probe Cards.

Not too many, since it will only spice the deck a bit.

Of course, since most Probe Cards are drawn during game, we cannot do Probe Cards like Abandoned Republic Battleship. Such cards would be too specific and players would get used to expecting them. "All right, by now my Imperial Exploratory Service should already found this @#%* Republic Battleship. Where it is?"

So those card have to be more universal.

Too avoid diluting the deck, nearly every card would need redraw of another Probe Card. I do not want to risk delicate balance of game nor make Imperial player life more difficult than designed.

Exploring Galaxy You probably find "Strange Readings". It may be traces of abandoned Republic Battleship, Separatist Research Station or even lost Imperial leader (wow, thats very powerful, but 1/6 chance so such possibility would realise in every tenth game). Or nothing.

You may also find some Criminals, who in the front of Imperial Force run to Rebel protection. If they have a chance, thats it.

You may even catch one already recruited, randomly chosen Rebel Leader from Rebel leaders already at play. He was doing his Rebel bussines or was just travelling to family, and we found him.
And in worst case for Rebels, this Leader may sabotage their own planet.

You may also found Unknown Danger, whether it be Yuuzhan Vong, barbarians, gamma-ray burst, meteorites - its up to Your imagination.
Which danger may hit anyone (since Imperial occupy more terrritory its rather them) or noone at all.

OK, and now for diluting the Probe Deck: Imperial shouldn't be 100% sure that every Probe card will bring knowledge about one system, should be. It will be more fun and emotional if there would be 1 no-system ("Lord, we fail") card.

"My Lord, there are so many uncharted settlements. It could be smugglers; it could be pirates."
Admiral Ozzel

There could be found interesting opportunities or at least recruits.

But there is sooo many of those Ucharted Settlements. And You have to expect finding them more than once, probably. Imperial player will hate this card, even its sweeten a bit. If he finally rolls "miss" he should be grateful to Dark Side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see rebels and imperials get separate tactic decks. I mean rebels and imperials fight quite differently anyway, so it only makes sense. In that case you could have these specific cards added to those decks from missions, or just be part of those decks from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats also a very good idea with 2 drawbacks:

a) its 4 Tactics Decks on the table = more mess.

b) its more Cards to print = higher price (its cheaper to add 10 new Tcs, then 40).

Even so I also wish for such solution.

I just work at simplest possible solution to reuse and improve what already exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Awesome ideas!

I would love an expansion that changes the battle system. Something that replaces the Tactics cards, namely, which I think are the weakest part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hah, this is awesome! I hope someone at FFG reads it. And if they do, I already *know* what should be the very first expansion of this game.

The 3/5 player expansion: scoundrels!

I own an older copy of a version of star wars risk based on the original trilogy and BY FAR the best thing about this surprisingly good game (for a risk game anyway) was the fact that there was a third faction - the huts:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22551/risk-star-wars-ori...

Far and away the best thing about this game was with three asymmetrical sides with different win condition where the rebels and the empire took turns making alliances with the huts but also had to keep those scoundrels in check.

I really hope FFG does something similar with the first expansion, by adding a tertiary faction of smugglers and bounty hunters. They could even take missions from both the empire and the rebels.

It could also add a resource economy and trading in the production in the game instead of just area control / worker placement. With the scoundrels being the main traders in the game, which would provide a balancing mechanism.

I love all the ideas you have posted, and I hope FFG follows the trend they had in the past of releasing an obscene amount of expansions for this game.

But I really hope FFG takes my idea (or more likely comes up with it on their own) to add a Scoundrels faction and trading in their first expansion. It would be so cool!

Edit: I know my idea violates one of your first rules with the production of new units - but I think it is totally worth it! And there wouldn't need to be nearly as many of them as there are rebels or storm troopers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You for all kind words.

Adding the third faction (scoundrel) is something which would be cool, but expensive.

My card-only expansion would be comparably easy to implement, quick to playtest and cheap: 10 TacCards, 5 Probe Cards, 10 Missions, Project, maybe 1-3 Objectives, 30 Event Cards = no more then 20 USD (half for Disney/LFL).

I did some mistakes.

Ryloth Event Card: Twi'leks Are Everywhere didnt have any incentive for Imperial player to loyalize (control was enough). Also prebattle withdrawal wasn't so very useful, especially for Imperial Player.

Now Ryloth may have incentive for Imperials to loyalize.

Moving through dangerous red areas (Twi'leks dancers hear stories of independent traders and pass them to excellent Twi'lek pilots) may be situationally useful, albeit risky.

Another mistake:

Event Cards for specific system cannot be directly chained to resource base of given system. Because resource base is already represented via resource icons.

So cards like Lava Mines of Mustafar or Droid Foundry of Geonosis are plainly wrong. They should be more subtle.

Thus Lava Mines of Mustafar was changed to Techno Union while Geonosis Droid Foundry was changed to Remnants of Separatist Alliance.

I was wondering about allocation of specific abilities to each rich system (other then Mon Calamari, Ord Mantell/Black Sun and Cato Neimodia). We have:

1. Geonosis (Remnants of Separatists Alliance) blue triangle, yellow rectangle
2. Mygeeto (Banking Clan) blue triangle, yellow rectangle
3. Mustafar (Techno Union) blue triangle and circle
4. Sullust (SoroSuub) yellow triangle and rectangle
5. Correlia (Free Traders or Corellian Engineering Corporation, maybe also Kuat Drive Yards) blue triangle and rectangle

And we have arguably the richest system
6. Utapau (blue circle and rectangle), which strangly has none known connotation - nothing, really, what should we put there? I think that Utapau impressive production capapbility consist of several local system, especially Sluis Van. So I would name

6. Utapau (Sluis Van Shipyards)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sluis_Van_Shipyards

And we have such abilities:

A. Exchanging colors: blue <=> yellow (it would best suit Banking Clans of Mygeeto, dont You think? cause two different colors and Bankers usually change money and colors...)
B. Exchanging resources: triangle <=> circle (Techno Union of Mustafar?)
C. Exchanging resources: circle <=> rectangle (Utapau & Sluis Van Shipyards?)
D. Doubled deplomyment (Corellia Free Traders?)
E. One time production advancement? I dislike it....

F. More ideas?

What for SoroSuub of Sullust and Ex-separatist Capital Geonosis?

As a comment to this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1558391/book-keepingnote-ta...

This variant thread is also worthy to check:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1560990/jedi-leia

Thanks for all comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think I finally got "rich" planets. Corellia, Mon Calmari, Ord Mantell and Cato Neimodia didnt changed.

UTAPAU
As I pointed before, the only explanation for the best resources in game is the proximity of Utapau to Sluis Van.

MUSTAFAR
Changed, accordingly with resources and my premise of de-localisation of planet events (lava mines are already included into the boards, so we have to find something more subtle).

SULLUST
Changed, accordingly to abovementioned systems.
Those SoroSuub rifles find their way into every planet and each side of every conflict, miraculously.

MYGEETO
Biggest changes, a card most difficult to construct.
You may borrow the money for assets from Banking Clan, but keep an eye on interests rates. If not they will drink Your blood (well, loyalty).

And may the Force guard you from the thought of borrowing money from both Banking Clan and Hutts. You may bankrupt during night.

EDIT:
Grrr forgot Geonosis (but it didnt changed a lot)

Hope You liked it!

If FFG will not make an expansion, we can do it by ourselves.

We can agree contents of cards.

I can make those cards in format acceptable for a printers. And can put all files as a
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/playing-cards/multi-purpo...

I had done it before and it worked excellent:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/544749/cards-artscow-oow2-n...

They have often nice sales.

If You know cheaper printer - please point it to me, so we can use it.

Nobody wont have any money of this (except printer, of course - which I am not in any part worker or related whatsoever), FFG or LFL shouldnt bother as it would be "fair use" and we wont use their art or rights for income.

I am not sure if we got enough uniformity to pass Mission/Project/Objective Cards, but I am sure we could easily make Events Cards deck (as they should be uniform only against each other).

I also think about bypassing new Tactics Cards by reusing old ones.
F.ex.

So: if anybody would be interested to help make and let us self-print such Event Deck cards?

I consider doing it for myself (in polish) so if You want english version, You have to help me, as I am in no way native speaker.

54 is a quite lot of cards, and they can have diffrent backs (different averses and reverses), so I think we could add things like Rebel Project Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
If you give me till after the weekend (work) I can hook you up with some high resolution templates. I like your cards and you're certainly putting in the work but I think youd prefer a higher quality yea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You very much! It would help us a lot!

However You do not have to hurry up:

1. If FFG hopefully will declare developing expansion, then this project will stop.

2. As long as FFG wont declare an expansion we can supply this thread with ideas for an expansion. And slowly work at collecting possible reasonable proposals of cards - even if written form. And for a project prototypes, low resolution helps: the bigger the file, the higher the resolution, the more work You have to do to gain acceptable outcome.

3. In worst case if FFG deny expansion possibility, then we will have to do it ourselves first deciding on printer/self-publisher (like Artscow), and this wil dictate the resolution and the size of cards. I do not know if we will have technical possibities to print unrecognizable Mission/Project/Objectives Cards. Then we wil have to construct Event Card template from the scratch.

4. In worst case, if FFG deny possibilty of expansion, still FFG could help us by publishing clear templates or at least elements of them. It happened in the past and it tremendously helped community effort at modding f.ex. TI3.

5. If any of the above will happen, then our (Yours and mine) work at template will be wasted.

I really welcome any good resolution template, especially of You, since Your Jedi Leia was much better then mine. I - we will be very thankful for that effort.

Until now we can work and discuss about low resolution prototypes, I suppose?

What do You think? Please share You thoughts? Overpowered abilities? Wrong numbers? Which card would You fight over as Empire/Rebel, and which would You give up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I hope FFG releases expansions but even if they do I doubt it would be gor awhile. I also highly doubt they will release templates sadly. I wouldnt have a problem making them (when I get the time)
Because people could then use them for kool missions/characters/whatever

I get all my stuff printed from printerstudio.com and im not untowardly worried about that.

Good templates will be easy to work though I read you use GIMP. Im not familiar with the program myself as I use photoshop. It can open/modify PSD files yes?

As far as your cards go I really cant comment as I plan to do an entire overhaul of the game to make it more of what I wanted. Im afraid and advice I give would be colored by that approach. You're much better off asking people who will continue to play vanilla rebellion.

Really impressed by your output however, great job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WakelessREX wrote:
I get all my stuff printed from printerstudio.com and im not untowardly worried about that.

Wow, this printerstudio is nice, thanks for a link. They have moresizes, which is great and may let us do exact copies of Missions Cards.

WakelessREX wrote:
Good templates will be easy to work though I read you use GIMP. Im not familiar with the program myself as I use photoshop. It can open/modify PSD files yes?

I am using .xcf, as .psd is photoshop only, while .xcf is open format.
But I can easily convert .psd into .xcf.

Quote:
As far as your cards go I really cant comment as I plan to do an entire overhaul of the game to make it more of what I wanted. Im afraid and advice I give would be colored by that approach. You're much better off asking people who will continue to play vanilla rebellion.

Wow, quite lot a work! Really interested in Your ideas. I will have some gripes about original and would love to try a variant: less mission-oriented towards more traditional wargame with 2-3 stacks of units moving seprately of leaders, while revealing the Rebel Base wouldnt be automatic, as Remote systems represents thousands of systems. What is the premise of You planned variant?

I will try any You variant, when it will be done.

WakelessREX wrote:
I hope FFG releases expansions but even if they do I doubt it would be gor awhile. I also highly doubt they will release templates sadly. I wouldnt have a problem making them (when I get the time)
Because people could then use them for kool missions/characters/whatever

In the pas FFG share parts of its graphics, not full templates, but we reconstructed whole templates from them (on old Ti3.forum in 2005? a user named Grummore was a teacher for us).

You have told something important: maybe if I put my templates people start sharing their experience? So I upload to BGG template file for another part of expansion, which should be:

NEW OBJECTIVES!

However not too much. 1-3 max. To not dissolve possibility of gaining useful Objective Cards.

And to avoid breaking the balance of game (delaying digging to last SubDeck) I am afraid all added Objectives should be in the last, third SubDeck.

Whats my proposal?

See, many players discuss anti-climatic endings of games with veteran Imperial players. Many complained about low probablity of playing Return Of The Jedi, because veteran Imperial in Third Stage will always place Siths in system without Imperial units. Which seems strange and against the spirit of movies, frankly (remember all those TIE Interceptors escorting Emperor? I doubt he would secretly and alone travel to remote systems do diplomatic missions).

So I did a card to promote escorting of Emperor and Vader and raising usefulness of Return Of The Jedi. Even Master Of Sith is nothing against full Rogue Squadron.

Now Imperial player would have to keep both Siths in guarded strongholds or risk ROTJ, which seems more thematic, at least to me.

Somwhere around (after approval from BGG) should be .xcf template file, worked from original files of FFG. It was relatively easy to do, comparing to Mission Cards.

Download (free and open) GIMP and open it and You may do any Public Objectives you want.

If You like it, please recommmend this thread as a sign for FFG of vox populi.

I will be glad if You will link here Your proposals for new Objective cards.

If we ourselves do new expansion, I am sure the best proposals will be included. I have no more ideas regarding Objective Cards, so I count on You.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another month,
MORE EVENT CARDS

First some universal cards.

Credits, lots of credits. Yep, those are credites You are looking for.
This card is the only way to remove Sabotage Markers from Neutral and Rebel systems. I think adding such ability as "ability connected to loalty/control of system" would be pointless, as this is only situationally useful and noone would take any effort to gain such ability. So it has to be just "random encounter".

First I wanted to add possibility to roll for loss of C3PO and R2-D2, but those poor suckers already are too often discarded. Thematically that would not make any sense, as those droids were very loyal.

You may notice that I have tried to choose only those graphics, which FFG already has right for. So to lower the costs for FFG (as You may know single highest cost of developing game is cost of graphics).

It's a good gamedesigning tradition to include one empty ("nothing happen") event card, and whom am I to contest The Tradition?
And such card has to be a homage to Junta.

Encirclement, supply lines, isolation - I wanted to underline issue of supply lines. Better to keep systems non-isolated. It's strategic game, after all.

And now for cards dealing with speciesism of Imperium.

Dilemma for Imperium (alike "Dissolving Senate?"), everyday job of Emperor.

Too long, too complicated and too impactful. So I simplified and reduced it a bit:

Explanation for power gamers and rule-lawyers (yes, Boba Fett and Janus ARE humans):

Now for Systems Events. First medium systems.

NABOO

I have quite difficulties about Naboo. Ideas like "Underwater cities" or "Harmony of species" was discarded due to fact those are already presented as two resources icons. The neccesity of loyalization of Naboo comes from neccesity of loyalization of underwater Gungans (but Imperium has long tradition of conquering underwater civilizations). "Elders artifacts" was another obvious choice. But galaxy is full of artifacts of ancient civilizations, so nothing Naboo-specific here.
Then I remind myself that Senator Palpatine was born and started his career as a senator and Sith on Naboo. Under guidance of Sith Lord Plagueis, which was suggested in E3 and explained in books.

Maybe Darth Plagueis left some traces? Sith Holcrons? Laboratory? Sith library? And someone stumbled upon it accindently, starting the race?

I think it the only logical solution for Naboo. But it is up to You what ability such card should bring. According to my premise, such medium-rich system doesn't need permament incentive to loyalize. I temporarily decided on:

Now for poor systems. According to my premise, they need incwentive to loyalize, so ability should be caused by permament loyality. Nal Shada, Ryloth and Malastare were alredy presented.
So lets go:

ALDERAAN

I was wondering what rules-breaking exception should be benefit of allying with Alderaan.
Pacifists? Alderaan Royal Enginnering Corporation? Lost weapon fleet? House of Organa?
Since House Of Organa is very influential (connected to others Royal Houses) and since they are main pacifists of the Galaxy and main I went for Diplomatic ability:

Or better:

TOYDARIA
Those guys are force-resistant. Thats their most distinct ability. Loyalization of this poor planet should help with dealing with Force users: all those Toydarian guards, secretaries and diplomats...

Or better:

RODIA
Home of brutal predators and hunters: Rodians.

Better:

The best:

FELUCIA

Felucia is known of nothing. But in the cartoons it was base of operation ofr several gangs. So I didn’t found anything better:

SALEUCAMI

Saleucami is home of one of galactic supercorporation.

BESPIN

Main source of Tibanna gase needed for supercharging of weapons.

So we've done all populated system.

Now for rest of remote systems.
I hope You agree, that all those are logical, reasonable and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice thread! These cards look great, and I like the idea of event cards. Seriously though, those cards are on point.

I do disagree, though, that an expansion with minis would be 3/4 base game's cost. I could reasonably see an expansion with some minis- say, maybe four new unit types per side (a "heavy" and "light" for ground and space), and maybe only four or five of each of those, max- that'd be 40 minis at the most, hardly the 120 or so that came in the base box. I think 35-40 dollars would be a realistic and reasonable price for something like that. I mean, look at Imperial Assault- their similarly priced most recent small box expansion came with 11 minis. That's admittedly much less than 40, but Imperial Assault's minis are also much larger than Rebellion. IA's base game (relatively priced to Rebellion) only had 34 minis, so the ratio to 1:4) is actually pretty well adjusted).

Of course, we'd need new player sheets then, too, and your event card idea!

As for leaders, I agree that we don't really need more- but I think we'll get some anyway. Ever play Eldritch Horror? I'd say we don't need any more investigators for that game either, but FFG does what FFG does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
Some events require to be played as missions. Who plays them and how?

If they can be picked up during assignment, the Rebel player always has first dips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
As for leaders, I agree that we don't really need more- but I think we'll get some anyway. Ever play Eldritch Horror? I'd say we don't need any more investigators for that game either, but FFG does what FFG does.

Yes, I would be really amazed if they wouldnt give us new leaders (even if unneeded).

Thrombozyt wrote:
Some events require to be played as missions. Who plays them and how? If they can be picked up during assignment, the Rebel player always has first dips.

They are not played. They are revealed during Refresh Phase.
I envisioned that both players during assignment may allocate leader(s) to it. After Assignmenet Phase the dices are rolled. If both sides gain the same number of successes (including zero), Event is discarded without effect. If one side gains more successes, it wins the event effect.

But I may be wrong, and there may be better way to organize such QuasiMission Event Cards. I would be more then happy to read such way. (BTW, great nick!)

Thanks for all commments. I am glad you like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Deus Vult
badge
Gloria in excelsis Deo
mbmbmbmbmb
No expansion without Thrawn can be worthy of my time

Where is Thrawn! I don't want excuses about manufacturing, I want the job done right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Papp
msg tools
Hi!
I really liked your work!
I also came up with a few new card and leader ideas, what I would like to try. Do you have a template for these cards?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pappkristof wrote:
Hi!
I really liked your work!
I also came up with a few new card and leader ideas, what I would like to try. Do you have a template for these cards?
Thanks

I am quite surprised:
"You really liked it."
You have asked for my help.
And then You haven't thumbed this thread up?
I have thumbed up all the "self made expansion" threads, just for the sake of all the work they needed.
Oh man. If we want an expansion we need more public support. If all the people who were expressing excitement here would thumbed the whole thread up (I mean first post right next to the title), that would help. Or not.

Its just since noone was supporting, there is no point in progressing this project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people just aren't into the thumb system (hey, it's his first and only post on BGG). Here, let me thumb it for you instead.

I don't get enough play time to warrant trying an expansion (I only got to explore the surface of the base game...), but I fully agree with the design principles you're using, and must admit this looks really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sabrina Brasseur
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your work and I thumb this thread up!

I would like to translate your cards in french but I've no player to test them and no template to realize them properly with Photoshop...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please forgive me if I might sound impatient.

OK, I will upload my templates to BGG, I hope maybe You will find them useful.

I am using the free GIMP, not Photoshop.

Que la force soit avec toi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Batista
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmb
Umpapa wrote:
SNIP

Awesome piece of work. Following with interest. I think the Advanced Tie is too powerful. A better way to do it would be to add one or two damage to enemy fighters for every five or six Tie fighters.

One other question, what program did you use to draw the cards? I want to draw some of my own to another game and I would love to use something simple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

mAIOR wrote:
Awesome piece of work. Following with interest. I think the Advanced Tie is too powerful. A better way to do it would be to add one or two damage to enemy fighters for every five or six Tie fighters.

Thank You! I suppose You are right, I have not updated them in last few months.

mAIOR wrote:
One other question, what program did you use to draw the cards? I want to draw some of my own to another game and I would love to use something simple

I am using GIMP. Photoshop is maybe a bit better, but GIMP if for free.
Take a look at my templates so it may help how I did them.

BGG has declined my files. Hmm. Trying again, with explanation for Admin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.