Subject: ChitChat About Werewolf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like BlackSheep's idea of making auxes count for parity while a wolf is alive, but I'm not really sure how that changes the balance of the game. Maybe not by much? Is it just the difference between evil having to coordinate a few dates of votes or winning right away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
I like BlackSheep's idea of making auxes count for parity while a wolf is alive, but I'm not really sure how that changes the balance of the game. Maybe not by much? Is it just the difference between evil having to coordinate a few dates of votes or winning right away?

It stops the LHLV race; if evil ever has half the votes, they win immediately. But good doesn't have to take out the auxes to win.

It's a small tweak, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
I've moved in the direction of making all auxes cultists or at least giving them some solid start info. I like playing informed auxes.
*shudders*

For me this is the actual worst because informed aux roles have most of the downsides of being wolf (over-informedness, unnatural sounding reads), without even the upside of "well at least if I sound good, I can help my team win."

I'd like to think I might be okay at sorcerer/uninformed type roles, but I'm not even sure if that's true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
Smugs wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:
Too many, or too powerful, auxes can also be a problem for a game design. If the village leaves them alive then they contribute to vote control or use their powers, but if they get lynched the village is losing parity clicks. Tough or brutal auxes are particularly nasty.

A few veterans will remember the game where we lynched evil every day for eight days straight and lost.

My games often had no auxes, or only things like cubs that promote to maxes. When I did use auxes, I usually had a rule that made them count for parity so long as a wolf was still alive.

That parity count seems like a good idea to prevent LHLV races actually.
It wouldn't work in the fast fiver though for instance where game sees sorc need to decide between wolf/Hunter.
Theoretically the fast fiver won't have any days with even counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
Smugs wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:
Too many, or too powerful, auxes can also be a problem for a game design. If the village leaves them alive then they contribute to vote control or use their powers, but if they get lynched the village is losing parity clicks. Tough or brutal auxes are particularly nasty.

A few veterans will remember the game where we lynched evil every day for eight days straight and lost.

My games often had no auxes, or only things like cubs that promote to maxes. When I did use auxes, I usually had a rule that made them count for parity so long as a wolf was still alive.

It wouldn't work in the fast fiver though for instance where game sees sorc need to decide between wolf/Hunter.

How about if one of the auxes is a banana?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day (she/her)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf, but I'm definitely wolfing
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
Smugs wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:

But Wolf team would auto win if Sorc made it to D2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugs wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
Smugs wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:

But Wolf team would auto win if Sorc made it to D2.
Eliminating the drama of a D2 Wolf, Sorc, and Hunter final 3 would be a heavy price for giving the Sorc parity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
5ers and 9ers and 19ers and maybe a few other sets are specifically balanced to have distinctive effects produced by the presence of auxes. I think those sort of games show why auxes can enhance a game.

Auxes aren't bad, there's just some skill involved in including them in sets, like with most things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sittin' on my porch sippin' lemonade while admirin' my perfect lawn, I do declare:

Sorcerers (and other uninformed evils) are Fun.
Informed non-parity evils like cultists are ok too but always less-good.
Hunters and bodyguards are bad roles (except hunter in 5-player). Martyrs are fine.
Neutrals are evils, and almost always make a game worse.
Toughs are almost always bad.
Uninformed brutals and kills are good (informed brutals are tolerable).
Vote control is a perfectly fine way for evil to win. It's like the flipside of goods' math win.
A medium or large game can have "bad" elements and still be good.
Balance is (maximum mislynches) vs. (parity evils). If it's more complicated than that then you can't calculate "balance" well and certainly not as precisely as you think you can.
Precision Werewolf is unfun.
Balance is overrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  43 , 44 , 45 , 46 , 47  |