Copycat offers much of the appeal of Doppelganger but his acquired role remains untrackable. A straightforward extension of the Mark rules allows the Copycat player's Dusk action to be discreetly recorded without alerting other players as to which center card, if any, was selected by the Copycat. In addition, this variant provides an anonymous mechanism that optional House Rules can exploit to allow the Copycat's acquired role to be ascertained or manipulated by players during Dusk and Night phases.
1. After the center cards are dealt, a Clarity mark is placed face-down next to each card in the same manner as player cards.
2. An unused mark is pre-labelled Copycat and placed face-down next to the marks boards.
3. During the Copycat's Dusk phase, the player swaps the face-down Copycat mark with the face-down mark next to the selected center card.
4. Marks currently placed on the marks boards may not be swapped with center card marks.
5. At game end, the center cards and marks are turned face-up to reveal the role of the Copycat, regardless of which player winds up with the Copycat card.
Optional House Rules
1. Center card marks may be observed or manipulated during Dusk and Night phases, subject to the same rules that apply to player marks.
2. The Sentinel may place a Shield token on any of the center cards during his action phase.
3. If the center card currently tagged by the Copycat mark is in any way altered, the Copycat player acquires that role whenever the altered center card is revealed to be tagged by the Copycat mark, whether publicly or privately.
These House Rules enable Marksman, Pickpocket, and Gremlin players to interact with the Copycat mark and/or center card tagged by the Copycat mark. Should the Copycat acquire one of these roles, that player may take actions that subsequently alter the Copycat's status during gameplay. Characters incorporated from other One Night versions that interract with center cards during their action phase may also affect the card tagged by the Copycat mark.
- Last edited Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:46 pm (Total Number of Edits: 7)
- Posted Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:16 pm