Der schwarze Pirat» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Pirate Kiddies Fun! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Dean
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Der schwarze Pirat - The Black Pirate

I believe this to be my first review. Most of the good formats have been taken and I hope to one day bring "my style" to future reviews...but having just purchased this game and seeing it did not have a review available yet I just had to get one out there!

One sentence review? This EXCELLENT kids game of Sailing Ships and Pirate gold is perfect for the kiddies and just as fun for the adults who play with them!

The game page lists the which I would only add they are top shelf! Slick little wooden ships, yellow wooden coins for treasure, cute bags to keep it in for all 4 players, 2 oversized wooden dice, and a "bellow" to puff the wind to sail the ships...also directions in multiple languages but most important and best of all...a good sized thick cardboard board that clicks together in 4 "puzzle" pieces with upraised islands and some cute art of sea creatures breaking the surface! The board alone is worth the price as it not only suits this game perfectly but is an excellent board to simply let a child's imagination run wild on! My boy, 4 1/2 years not not only plays it straight, but has already concocted quite a few "variants" on the game as well as simply using the board to play "ships" on.

The game itself is simple. Each of 6 coloured islands gets treasure placed on it when the first die indicates its colour. The 2nd die shows how many "puffs" you may use to sail your ship or perhaps you will be assigned the captain of the Black Pirate ship for this turn! Each island has a light blue "harbour" area...if any part of your ship comes to rest within it you collect the treasure and put it in your bag. But be careful with the "wind"! Puff too hard and you will capsize, or perhaps run aground, in which case your ship is placed back in the centre start area. If the die indicates you are to be the Pirate this turn, you may either sail into a harbour like a normal ship and claim the treasure for can crash into an opponents ship and attempt to "steal" their treasure! This is quite a cute mechanic. The ship being looted takes 3 coins and puts them in one of their hands (distributed as they see fit) and offers the closed fists to the Pirate. He chooses and only gets what is in the hand...anything from 3 coins to ZIP!
Once all the 36 coins have been placed on the islands the game ends when all of it has been recovered. Most coins wins.

The puffer is really just one of those rubber bulbs you might use to clean out a baby's nostrils...while it would have been nice to "dress it up" it works a treat and kids themselves have no idea what it might otherwise be used for

The ships sail true...and can be sailed, spun and bounced in a surprising number of ways. Once small hands learn to give it a double fisted PUFF they really get into the fun!

It looks great, is fast and cheerful and the Pirate is a fun side guessing game that really doesn't steal too much gold (thus stays fun for young kids) and there are a lot of little lessons here to be learned. Turn order, dice work, counting, colour recognition, spacial relations, and I am sure many more. All this in a beautiful big yellow box with so much fun inside!

I played it at a friends house and bought her extra copy on the spot!

Truly fun and I dare say a must have if your kids like games!

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.