Anthony Wilborn
msg tools
British are 1st eligible and the card "God Save the King" is in play.

The event reads: British free March to 1 space and may free Battle there.

Looking at the opening diamond in the British AI flowchart, they are eligible to take an even so they will consult the question in the "Event or Command?" box.

Bullet 4 says: Event inflicts Rebel Casualties (including free Skirmish or Battle)?

-> Yes it is does, so British will take the event.

This is the current board state where this even would matter:

Charles Town (6 regulars and 1 Tory), Maryland-Delaware (6 regulars and 2 tories) and Boston (5 regulars and 2 tories) seem the most likely to be selected because they have the most pieces and are all adcacent or sharing a space with Rebel pieces.

The event gives a limited command and non-player commands remain limited when taken from an event (not when taken simply from player order). In the rule book on page 25 in paragraph 2 of section 8.3.5 it says that as a part of free limited commands such as "March and Battle", to use the priorities for the first; so the priorities for the March command will be used.

When looking at the priorities of the March command (which are extensive)... I am just going to type them out...

*Lose no British Control. Leave last Tory and War Party in each space, and last Regular is British Control but no Active Support. Within that:

*Moving the largest groups first, add British Control to up to 2 Cities then Colonies, within each first where Rebel cubes then highest Pop. Use Common Cause to increase group size if destination is adjacent Province.

*Then March to Pop 1+ spaces not as Active Support, first to add Tories where Regulars are the only British units, then to add Regulars where Tories are the only British units, within each first in the above destination.

*Then March in place to activate Militia, first in support.

*If no Common Cause used, execute Special Activity.

This is difficult because the March priorities are written as if performing a non-limited March. It wants me to identify the largest groups first.

Let me focus on bullet 1 first:

*Moving the largest groups first, add British Control to up to 2 Cities then Colonies, within each first where Rebel cubes then highest Pop. Use Common Cause to increase group size if destination is adjacent Province.

I have chosen the largest 3 groups of British cubes on the map, of the three, M-D is the largest with 8 cubes.

Charles Town (6 regulars and 1 Tory)
Maryland-Delaware (6 regulars and 2 tories)
Boston (5 regulars and 2 tories)

However, because this is a "Limited" command all cubes must end in the same destination which brings us to identifying a destination. The bullet says that from these "largest groups" we have to first take control of 2 cities (1 city if the command is limited), but we cannot because all cities are already controlled.

Then, we have to take control of colonies, highest pop and within highest pop with Rebel cubes. Ok, it doesn't say how many Rebel cubes, so there are 3 options.

1) Mass. has a population of 2, is adjacent to a non-blockaded city and has 10 Rebel cubes.

2) Pennsylvania has a population of 2 and is adjacent to a non-blockaded city and has 5 Rebel cubes.

3) New Jersey is adjacent to a non-blockaded and also has a population of 2 with 2 Rebel cubes.

As far as I can tell, all of these destinations are equal in the eyes of the AI except for Mass. would require 13 British cubes to establish control, Penn would require 9, and New Jersey would require 6 (differences caused by non-cube Rebellion pieces in each space).

At this point I will just use the random spaces generator to decide between the 3. I roll a 5 and a 1 and start at New York City which is not one of the three, but right below it, following the flow of the spaces generator is New Jersey.

I will start by first taking cubes from my "largest group" which is in Maryland-Delaware. I have to leave the last Tory and last Regular (Regular because M-D is not at active support). I take 6 cubes, 1 Tory and 5 Regulars and March them to New Jersey to just barely establish British control. Oddly, because of the March rules, marching units can start in a province adjacent to a non-blockaded city and march to another province adjacent to a different non-blockaded city. So, to get to Jersey they actually march to Philly, get in a boat, sail to NY City and then March to Jersey...

They establish Control of Jersey, have not lost control of Maryland, left a Tory and Regular behind and will now commence the free Battle:

Status Pic:

The first bullet of the non-player Battle command is clear, although I question what would happen uppon ties. The bullet reads:

*Select all space/WI with Rebel Forts and/or Rebel cubes where Royalist Force Level + Modifiers exceeds Rebel Force Level + Modifiers, first where most British.

I didn't know know FL had modifiers, only Loss Level so the application in this instance would be opposite of that in a player vs play battle. That is normally you identify tiny FL and then adjust your die roll based on a modifyers depending on whether or not you were the defender or attacker. Here, I can only assume that the modifiers being used would be the defender loss level for the British and attacker loss level for the Rebels. .

FL for the British: 6 cubes + 1 for half attacking regulars -1 for defending fort for a total of 6.

FL for the Rebels: 2 cubes + 1 defending fort +1 for underground defending unit for a total of 3.

[And if there were a tie???]

But there isn't. Thank god.

British roll two 2's and the Rebels roll a single 2.

The British take 4 loses and the Rebels take 4 losses and a single "Win the day shift for the British".

Final pic below.

I pray this was executed properly, it took me near an hour to do. I appreciate anyone who was willing to read, this is by far the longest post I have made.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
flag msg tools
Hi Anthony,

Allow me to take a stab at this.

- The Event card says "may free battle there" meaning British doesn't have to battle. Thus, in my view, the British NP would only take this event if there will certainly be a battle in the space. In other words, my interpretation is that the space is chosen out of those where you can surely do the Battle command after a March. So if the space where you march to will not be eligible for Battle after the March command is executed, I would count that space out, as in that case the NP Event conditions would not be fulfilled. In this case, it doesn't really matter, as you have enough forces to wage battle on any of the spaces.

- New Jersey is actually population 1, so I don't think it's eligible as a target of the March command in this case, as there are more "lucrative" targets.

- That would leave Mass., C&RI and Penn. as potential spaces to march to. Looking at what you have on the board, a Limited March command could end up with a Battle in any one of these three spaces.

- So then you'd pick the space randomly, and move enough forces to execute the Battle command.

Continuing with your New Jersey example to see if you got the battle correct:

- A tie in force level + modifiers would make the space ineligible for the NP Battle command.

- I think you're overinterpreting "Force Level + modifiers". What you need to do is count the Force Level and then add any Loss Level modifiers to see which side has the higher value. If the NP attacker has the higher value, then the Battle is a valid course of action.

- In your example, NP Brits marched the units from M-D, meaning at least half of them are regulars, which gives Brits a modifier of +1. However, the defending fort takes that away. The defending Rebels have a Force Level of 3 (2 cubes and a fort), but they also get +1 for the fort and +1 for the underground militia. Nevertheless, your Force Level + modifiers (6) exceeds that of the defending force (5), so you can indeed do Battle here.

- Next you throw the dice based on the FORCE LEVEL alone, as per the rules. You don't calculate the modifiers into the Force Level. In your example, New Jersey has a Force Level of 3 (two cubes and one fort), so they roll one die, and add +2 to the RESULT thanks to the fort (+1) and the underground militia (+1).

- The Brits have now 6 cubes there, so they throw two dice, and add nothing to the result.

So, had you thrown 4 with the Brits and 2 with the Rebels as in your example, both would have a final Loss Level of 4. This would mean that both sides remove three pieces (Brits 2 Regulars and 1 Tory, Rebels 2 Continentals and 1 Active Militia). Both sides lost 3 units, so the Rebels win as defenders (due to tie), and the Rebels Win the Day.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilborn
msg tools
I have read and reread your post.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read through all that information and actually point out the mistakes. I knew there were a few decesions in there that I didn't quite understand why I was making or if they were being made correctly.

Thank you, this is going to help me even more with the bots.

New Jersey Pop 1!! I should have seen that!!!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.