Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: VASSAL: Imperial Assault - Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The release 1.10 is up on Vassal.

You can get it from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_...

Get both the Campaign module and the save file. The save file contains the maps for all available missions. The save file is configured for the core campaign - see the HTML help for how to configure for other ones.

Read through the HTML help included with the module for the rest of the tips and tricks and change log.
A copy can also be found from in http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/imperial-assault-help-file.html .

Version 1.3 - First public release
* Tiles have been changed to be able to manipulate them more easily in the future. I.e. to be able to select also the small tiles even when they are surrounded by other tiles.

Unfortunately the centers of some/a lot of Twin Shadows and Return to Hoth tiles were changed, so the saved maps need updating.

Do not switch to the new version mid-campaign unless you are prepared to edit the maps yourself. It's not that big of a deal really (shift-click to select tiles).

* There is a new dice roller, copied from Trevor Payton's skirmish module. You only get the new roller from a new game or a new save file. If you need the roller for an old campaign save, you can update your own save file by dragging the dice from the Rewards & Misc tab to the dice window.

* There are now two different characters and numbers. The first ones are meant for coordinates and other map stuff that will be obscured by tokens, objects, figures and cards. The Text versions are shown on top of everything. Both can not be selected by normal clicks, but can be selected by shift-clicking like the tiles.

Version 1.4 - Wave 6
* Restructured Rebel and Imperial windows - related things are now grouped better.
* Hero Sheets and Deployment cards can create the figure tokens (ctrl-f)
* Hero Sheets and tokens flip between healthy/wounded with ctrl-w now
* Mission cards can create rewards (reward cards: ctrl-r, allies: ctrl-a, ctrl-shift-r for agenda missions)
* Some reward and item cards can create figure/companion tokens (ctrl-f)
* New tiles can be made invisible (switch to observer to screenshot without invisible things) - old maps don't have their tiles updated, some new maps have hidden tiles in them.
* A lot of markers added (alt-shift to select from the center of them), also a little text button (ctrl-L to change the text), terrain markers (use shift-click to select) and deployment point markers.
* All except core maps updated in the save file - now contain initial deployments and reserved groups (masked)

Note: If you see "No such file" when you try to load the save file directly from the startup wizard, just wait 10-15 seconds and it should still load.

Version 1.7 - Wave 7
* Wave 7 added (Greedo, The Grand Inquisitor, Obi-Wan Kenobi).
* Increased the map window sizes a bit and added more zoom factors.
* RAIV 1.0.5 assets added. See the HTML help file for how to use and rules from RedJak's Automated Imperial Variant (RAIV) V1.
* Added a neutral figure token from Edge of the Empire. Using it instead of a neutral mission token makes it easier to remember it blocks line of sight.
* The carry option can now show both mission token and terminal. Ctlr-R rotates through the alternatives.
* Small priority issues with masking, rotating and labels fixed. Some imperial class cards had bugs as well.
* You can set Health, Endurance and Speed values for the hero sheets to make the changes from class cards and items more visible. Currently you need to manually adjust the speed/endurance for the wounded side though. You can create the hero's figure from the hero sheet, and you can now also create the hero's class card from the hero sheet and then rotate through them with ctrl-n.
* Restructured Item and Supply card tabs, making them hopefully more usable.

The old save file should be compatible, although some of the new features are not automatically present in the objects in it. Delete and re-create a figure of deployment card to get the features. (The objects that use prototypes probably will have the new features without 'refreshing' them.)

Version 1.8 - Wave 8
* With Jabba's Realm and the rest of wave 8.
* The layer where cards go has changed! But hopefully they are finally all in the same layer, so that you can click and press cursor left or right to lower and raise them. If you use an old save file with this version, you'll get some funky effects.
* Changed the token borders so that walls and other edges are not obscured.
* Added a 'Ready' button to maps to switch off all activation tokens. This works only for newly created figures. When you set up a mission, delete the figures and create them again. The 'Ready' button also readies exhausted imperial class cards (if they have been exhausted using the '0'-key command).
* Fixed RAIV card backs.
* If you adjust Speed or Endurance of hero sheets, they get -1 on the wounded side automatically.
* Added For a Few More Credits assets by Darth Jawa. You can find them from the Reward/Item/Supply tab and the map windows in the Map menu. You will need the For a Few More Credits campaign book to play. You probably need the Scum sheets and class cards printed out as reference. You need a specific FaFMC save file to get the maps. See FOR A FEW MORE CREDITS: Fanmade Scum Campaign for Imperial Assault for discussion and link to the campaign book.
* Added Bounty token functionality to figures (key "7"). It is used in both the Jabba's Realm with the Nemeses class deck, and FaFMC can use it for Wanted.
* Added the skirmish deployment cards of the heroes for reference. Note that the deployment cards of the heroes from Jabba's Realm are mercenary but skirmish-only, so they are not Villains and the imperial player cannot use Nemeses to bring them on his side in the campaign. If you have house-rules about going above 4 rebel player by introducing the skirmish versions of heroes, you need to take their mercenary affiliation into account.
* Reward cards use the regular ctrl-D for delete now. If you delete one by mistake, you can undo or get a new copy from the reward tabs.
* The condition and other markers on figures are a bit smaller now to not obscure the figure's graphics. Red activation token and the moved indicator were also moved downwards.
* The save file contains the new maps. I removed the deployment cards from the maps to a) make the save file smaller, and b) the layer the deployment cards are on has changed. Edit: the save file 1.8.1 contains updated deployment cards and initial figures. Thanks Seth!

Version 1.8.2 - Wave 8
* Includes RAIV 1.0.8, so is up to date with wave 8.
* A few fixes to creating figures from their hero sheets.
* A few fixes to the save file. (Added round and threat counters, Brushfire tile orientation fixed.)

Version 1.9 - Wave 9
* The three figure packs from wave 9 added.
* Added Once Upon a Time in the Western Rim by Darth Jawa. See his thread: FOR A FEW MORE CREDITS: Fanmade Scum Campaign for Imperial Assault
* Keypad number keys can be used to move the figure, 5 rotates. (Rebel figures already had this.)
* Regular + and - keys work for increasing and decreasing the primary counters on objects.
* Figures have target and attacker markers (keys T and A). They are automatically cleared if you switch conditions or toggle the activation marker.
* Updated the save file to include wave 9 maps, also entered the maps of Darth Jawa's campaigns.
* Bonus: the previewed Ahsoka Tano, Maul, and Emperor Palpatine. Figures have O and P keys to rotate through power tokens, shift-O and shift-P for quick clear.

Note that most new features do not work on old figures that appear in save files.

Version 1.10 - Wave 10
* Campaign material from Heart of the Empire, Ahsoka Tano, Maul, and Emperor Palpatine added.
* N to rotate Clawdite forms in both their deployment cards and figure tokens.
* Rubble and Energy Shields in the Tiles / Doors,Misc window.
* Save file updated. A few missions use two map windows, and a few use invisible tiles (shift-click to select, ctrl-I to toggle invisible). Play with Imperial to see invisible tiles, switch to observer to take a screen shot with the invisible tiles fully invisible.

Note that most new features do not work on old figures that appear in save files.

The old thread here: Help with PBF
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came here to say, thanks for all the work you've put into this Pasi and for your continual updates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how closely this IA mod resembles the D2e module, why not include the maps directly into their respective play areas? I've found, having to include a save file can corrupt any modified or existing decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerrian wrote:
Considering how closely this IA mod resembles the D2e module, why not include the maps directly into their respective play areas?

I have thought about it.

The current 77 campaign maps represented as graphics would make the module very large. Having them as preset maps - an internal save file - does not provide any benefits to an external save file. For the campaign to work, the internal save would need to include all maps too.

Also, there are some missions where you need to manipulate the map after the start of the mission, so the module needs to have the tiles anyway.

The skirmish module has maps as graphics and it only includes the current organized play maps to save space.

I am aware of the difficulties when switching module versions, and I spend some effort trying to retain compatibility. I recommend switching versions between campaigns only, but normally you would be able to switch between missions or even mid-mission. For example you are able to migrate to the new dice-roller (by dragging the dice from one of the windows), even when the dice roller needs to use at-start stacks that are only created when you start a new game.

I'm still learning Vassal, so who knows how it will develop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly know how you feel about learning Vassal. I took it as far as I could go without having to add custom scripts (just wasn't in the mood to learn/debug that).

In regards to the maps that need to be manipulated, in the cases with pre-generated maps, you could just leave those areas blank and then allow the players to bring in 'physical' tiles to manipulate as needed, unless it's the entire board then. I haven't played too many missions yet so I haven't seen how all the layouts look and act.

I may also borrow your dice roller as many people have asked me for a different way to do it (again, didn't want to get into custom code at the time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerrian wrote:
I may also borrow your dice roller as many people have asked me for a different way to do it (again, didn't want to get into custom code at the time).

It's not really mine though, I was allowed to copy it from the IA Skirmish module (and fix a bug), which in turn was adapted from the X-Wing module dice roller. You will need to edit the buildFile by hand.

Fortunately I was able to come up with the trick of how to allow updating the save files without starting a new file and building the maps all over again. I probably would not have switched to the new diceroller otherwise. For Play By Forum we use the BGG diceroller anyway, and support for online play has not been a priority.

(I added copies of the dice for the at-start stacks in the Rewards&Misc window, so I could drag&drop them into the diceroller window, then save the file again.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.4 is now on Vassal (http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_...)

Version 1.4 - Wave 6
* Restructured Rebel and Imperial windows - related things are now grouped better.
* Hero Sheets and Deployment cards can create the figure tokens (ctrl-f)
* Hero Sheets and tokens flip between healthy/wounded with ctrl-w now
* Mission cards can create rewards (reward cards: ctrl-r, allies: ctrl-a, ctrl-shift-r for agenda missions)
* Some reward and item cards can create figure/companion tokens (ctrl-f)
* New tiles can be made invisible (switch to observer to screenshot without invisible things) - old maps don't have their tiles updated, some new maps have hidden tiles in them.
* A lot of markers added (alt-shift to select from the center of them), also a little text button (ctrl-L to change the text), terrain markers (use shift-click to select) and deployment point markers.
* All except core maps updated in the save file - now contain initial deployments and reserved groups (masked)

If you see "No such file" when you try to load the save file, just wait for about 10 seconds and it should still load.

Let me know if you can't figure out something, but check the help file first. http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/imperial-assault-help-file.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nettleship
msg tools
Love the module, thank you so much for making this! I'll be starting up a campaign next week with a few of my online friends.

One thing I'm having trouble with on the 1.4 maps, I can't figure out how to unmask the reserved cards that are placed the missions map. I tried ctrl-m and ctrl-f, but it doesn't work; and there isn't an option when I right click on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your Vassal version and what are your JVM heap sizes (initial and max in the Preferences - I have 256 and 1024)?

Try starting a new clean/empty game, closing it, then loading the save file.

(You have joined as the Imperial Player or Overlord?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nettleship
msg tools
I'm using 3.2.16 and the same heap sizes.

I created a fresh game, and then loaded the save afterwards; but I had the same problem.

I also don't seem to be able to join as an Imperial Player using the save; but I can join as the Overlord (though I can join as Imperial when I'm creating a new game).

I really appreciate the assistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you need to join as someone else before you can rejoin as the imperial player.

I think I need to try it with Vassal 3.2.16. (I'm using 3.2.15)
Edit: Seems to work identically with Vassal 3.2.16.

Do the cards you drag+drop from the imperial window work as expected?

Which OS? (I use the Linux distribution under FreeBSD.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nettleship
msg tools
The cards I drag in from the Imperial window, and the unmasked, initial cards on the map behave as expected.

I'm running Windows 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I installed Java runtime environment (JRE) and Vassal on my work machine (Win 7) and the IA campaign module works without issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nettleship
msg tools
Weird, oh well, it's nothing I can't work around. I dragged copies of the reserve cards over the ones on the maps, and that worked just fine.

My online crew and I had our first game the other night, and everybody loved it. They're all looking forward to the next session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the module.
I have a problem with the dice window...

Basically, I can roll 1 die (right click, roll 1 die) of any color either after setting it up or using the preset dice window) and everything is fine.
But rolling 2 dice (either trying to "roll 2 dice" or "roll 1 die" (same or other color) after the first one) just freeze everything. "roll 1, clear, roll 1" seems to work. The module freezes with the dice window displaying the right click menu. And I haven't found a way out of it other than hard-killing (Ctrl-C) the whole Vassal... (trying to kill individual windows does not work).

Freshly downloaded VASSAL (3.2.16) and Module (1.4) (from a couple of hours ago), running on Linux/Debian, openjdk-8-jre:8u91-b14-3 installed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange, I have played solo recently with the dice window and rolling 1 or 2 work as expected. Have you tried keyboard shortcuts, e.g. ctrl-2?

What have you set to JVM heap sizes?

(Ooops. My X server just crashed. Fortunately I think I didn't lose much of my PBF states.)

On my freebsd machine:
openjdk version "1.7.0_71"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_71-b14)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.71-b01, mixed mode)

On my work Win7 machine I have a fresh install.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Strange, I have played solo recently with the dice window and rolling 1 or 2 work as expected. Have you tried keyboard shortcuts, e.g. ctrl-2?

French keyboard makes that not really doable (numbers are on SHIFT-key and VASSAL is quite strict on shortcuts...)

Quote:
What have you set to JVM heap sizes?

It was the default 256/512. I just upgraded it to 256/2048 without changing the behavior.

I'll make more tries once I'm back home in a couple of week (hence on another computer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use heap size 256/1024.

Anyway.

Version 1.7 of the IA Campaign module is now downloadable.

The biggest changes are Wave 7 content, RAIV assets and some support, and a lot of small neat things I have found useful in my PBF campaigns.

See the changes from the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for doing so much work on the module Pasi!

I've just started playing around with it, but I've mainly been using Vassal to send out a map to my group before the mission so everyone can think about it a bit before we sit down. I was hoping for two small additions the next time you update the module.

Could you add the option of adding face down agenda cards to the map so the rebels can easily see how many the IP has (maybe I've just missed how to)? Also, the hero cards could use a higher resolution update. They aren't illegible, but they are much harder to read than the rest of the cards.

Thanks again for this great resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can drag the agenda cards to the map, then use ctrl-m (or the menu option) to mask them (flip between face down and face up).

The same applies to class cards.

(You can make a copy first in the imperial hand window, then move the copy to the map window.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jym77 wrote:
I'll make more tries once I'm back home in a couple of week (hence on another computer).

So, I have the exact same problem on my Linux box at home (Debian testing) but it is working perfectly from my Windows box.

Irritating, but I can live with that (and especially, I absolutely do not want to even try and look at what may be causing such a bug… Given that it is OS-dependant (and even distro-dependant), I fear the worse).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Koch
South Africa
flag msg tools
I'm also having the issue with the Reserved deployment cards in the 1.4 save file. The Initial Cards work, but the reserved only have the option to "Create Figure" and "Set Label". It also doesn't have the option for Imperial Player, only Overlord (and Hero 1 - 4, Rebel 5 & 6).

Windows 7 64-bit, Vassal 3.2.16, Java 32-bit 1.8. Set Heap Size to 256/1024
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The save file defaults to "Imperial Player", so when you choose Retire and Join another side, it isn't listed. You need to Become observer first. Maybe this is what happens.

I don't know what's wrong, possibly some Java issue. (The save file is pretty big for one.) I have not had an issue with my FreeBSD machine, a fresh Java install in a Win7(Home) machine, nor with a current Ubuntu Linux box.

As a workaround you can drag the existing reserved cards to any window out of the way and then add the reserved cards yourself. You'll need to add your open groups anyway.

(You can also try to open the module in edit mode and then load the save to see if any errors are displayed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Koch
South Africa
flag msg tools
I open Vassal, and then I open the 1.7 Module. At the startup wizard I select "Load Save Game", select the 1.4 save, after a couple seconds it asks me what side to join as and lists Observer, Hero 1 - 4, Rebel 5 + 6, Overlord.

Doesn't matter which option I select, when I retire and become Observer or select any of the other options, Imperial Player still doesn't appear in the list when I retire again...

I'm curious if this works for any other players, or whether its a common problem - maybe Imperial Player is locked to your username, so nobody can join it other than you, because the save registers you as being the Imperial Player and still logged in? And possibly the masking of the reserved cards is locked to the Imperial Player?

Anyways, everything else seems to work fine, and the Overlord option seems to allow access to everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the Imperial Hand is restricted to Imperial or Overlord, nothing else in the module is restricted.

But yes, it would be nice to hear from people who have got everything working.

(Well, a few posts above you can see the dice window working in one setup and failing in another.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.