Dungeon Crawl» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
flag msg tools
Found this on another Geeklist and it sounded like something up my alley. So I stumped around and found a pocketmod of the rules. The original is at the web link in the game.

If you check out the web link, there is some good discussion about the game. Some of it is over a year old, but still useful.

Anyway, after going through the rules a few times (it is not the easiest read) I pulled out my tiny deck of cards and gave it a go.

I played as a Mage. The other choice is as a Warrior. There are a few differences between the two- play as a Warrior if you're trying it the first time. Don't do a Mage until you're familiar with the mechanics. It won't take long, by the end of your first game you'll have it down.

So the character is set up. I have 4 hit points and 11 mana (spell) points. A Mage can do 1 point of melee damage- and they can case an offensive or defensive spell by using the mana points.

You enter a room and fight a monster. Very Munchkin-like. Like Munchkin, the card you flip over from the "battle deck" is the strength of the monster. I had the 2 of diamonds. The color only plays a role in the actual battles, and the suit is just decoration.

The battle ensues. A card is flipped over as the attack, then another card is flipped over as the defense. If they are the same color, it's a hit. Different colors, a miss. If the monster hits, it deals the damage of the attack card- the one that was flipped over first. I spent most of my mana points casting a "shield" to absorb the damage. As long as the card I flipped over from my mana stack was higher than the attack card, I didn't take any damage.

I was quickly running out of mana, so I was forced to deal my 1 point of damage twice to finally kill the monster. My reward? 2 points. You get the hit points of the monster as your score points. If you can get enough score points, you can trade it for a mana refresh.

Once that monster was done, I wasn't sure what to do with my spent mana cards. So I left them. I had taken 2 points (of my 4) of damage, and I just decided I would "rest" and flip them back over. I reshuffled the battle deck and flipped another monster. King of Hearts. Then I count off 13 cards as the monster hit points and begin battle #2.

Yep, I think it was the third attack of the monster- flipped another king. And it hit. So I cast a shield. A 3. That means 10 points of damage hits me. I'm dead. I scored a 2.

It's going to take a bit of cleanup, especially in the "after battle" part of the game. I'll play again as it's a bit different than just solitaire.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.