63 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best two player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Tiller
msg tools
Hi - my partner and I recently played Discworld Ankh Morpork and really enjoyed it. She has bought 7 wonders Duel for us (yet to try) as that is meant to be very good for two players - new to this site and just wondering what people thought were other good games for two players. Thanks - Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panayiotis Zois
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: Le Havre fanMicrobadge: Luna fanMicrobadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Agricola fan
I'm going to propose only 2-player games but there are so many that play with more and I'm sure the BGG community will help you! Welcome!
From the light 2-player games you should consider the following:

Patchwork
Battle Line
Jaipur
Targi
Mr. Jack Pocket
Hive
Lost Cities
Revolver 1 or 2
Aton
Fungi

If you later like some more complexity in 2-player games you can go to the likes of:

Twilight Struggle
Wilderness War
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony
Washington's War
Command and Colors (Napoleonics or Ancients)
A Few Acres of Snow
Stronghold
1960: The Making of the President
Wir Sind Das Volk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Holmfirth
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Blood Rage fanMicrobadge: Tile placement / tile laying games fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda series fan
Patchwork is a great game, definately my current fave for a quick 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: University of KansasMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
Jaipur is the first on I always suggest. It's relatively simple and plays fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tiller
msg tools
Thank you for the suggestions - we are both looking forward to trying lots of new games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Trains fanMicrobadge: Disc Golf fanMicrobadge: Australia - The Lucky CountryMicrobadge: Bridge fanMicrobadge: I love Indian food
Some games I enjoy that are exclusively 2 player
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Jambo
Star Realms
Carcassonne: The Castle

Some games I enjoy playing 2 player, that can easily support more
Thurn and Taxis
Stone Age
Finca
Trains: Rising Sun

All these games are not too deep and shouldn't be too hard to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trambahn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Tichu fan
my wife's fav 2 player is Koi Pond: A Coy Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Rex
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Black GoatMicrobadge: Fan of the game Glorantha: The Gods WarMicrobadge: Gamer GirlMicrobadge: Forces others to play boardgamesMicrobadge: Scientist
Here are few of my favourites. Let me know if you like something!

Quick ones:

Hey, That's My Fish! or Battle Sheep - two very similar games, both look amazing, both play up to 4 (but are best at 2, IMHO). They are abstract games where you are penguins/sheep and try to cut off anyone else to prevent them food. Maximum of 15 min play time and great fun. They are more strategic than they look.

Beasty Bar very fun, but very mean game. Short play time. You are trying to get your animals to bar while preventing the other player (s, plays up to 4) from getting there.

Nyet! trick-taking game with some very interesting twists.

Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise racing game, seems like a kids game but is really not. Plays up to 5.

Mars Attacks: Ten-Minute Takedown very short and cheap dexterity game.

Longer ones:

Twilight Struggle there is a reason why it was BGG's no. 1 for so long. If you are at least a little bit interested in Cold War...

Arcadia Quest plays up to 4, best at 2 (not too long). Looks amazing (if you don't mind chibis). Great campaign, great, dice-chuckling fun. Dungeon crawler without game master, you play against each other as much as against the monsters.

Nexus Ops - although I think this one is best at 4, it plays really well with 2. You are one of the mining companies on another planet and you fight for resources.

Evolution highly strategic and beautiful card game. For me, it is best at 3, then 2, then any other player count (goes up to 6). It plays under hour and it was even featured in Nature magazine as THE game that captures evolution best.

Artifacts, Inc. or Tiny Epic Galaxies - which one to choose depends on your taste in theme - treasure hunting in early 1900s' or intergalactic travels. In both, you roll dice to see which actions are available to you that round. Both play under hour. Artifacts up to 4, Tiny Epic 5, I think.

Takenoko so beautiful and so clever, while so easy to learn the rules. Highly intuitive, great fun, relatively short play time.

Valley of the Kings: Afterlife or Super Motherload - unique deck-building games (like Dominion, only better )

Alchemists very clever deduction game.

Some cooperative fun:

Pandemic - prevent terrible diseases from destroying mankind

Zombicide - it is like living in a zombie movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
Microbadge: "Over my dead body!"Microbadge: Pew! Pew!Microbadge: Han shot first!Microbadge: Star Wars fan - BlasterMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Greedo
If you both happen to like Star Wars, Star Wars: Rebellion is pricey, but worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi lover
At the Gates of Loyang and The Castles of Burgundy are great for 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Microbadge: Citrus fanMicrobadge: Lisboa fanMicrobadge: Arkham Noir fanMicrobadge: PAX fanMicrobadge: La Granja fan
Here are some 2-player games that I enjoy:
Antike Duellum
A Few Acres of Snow
Babel
Batt'l Kha'os
Dragonheart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: University of KansasMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
+1 At the Gates of Loyang.

Also check out Rahdo at https://www.youtube.com/user/rahdo he plays two player games and plays through them. Great resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: AccountantMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Step-parentMicrobadge: Plays Games with Children
Through the Desert
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective FanMicrobadge: Orléans fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Destiny fanMicrobadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation if you're a Tolkien fan. Awesome, thematic game that plays in a matter of minutes.

Battle Line if you're a human being. I honestly have yet to find a person who didn't enjoy playing this game.

Baseball Highlights: 2045 if you like baseball. Even good for those who don't like baseball that much.

Anything from the Kosmos two-player series. Lost Cities is the most popular. I prefer Babel myself. Thunder and Lightning is the latest release.

Jaipur

The Duke

That should give you plenty of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective FanMicrobadge: Orléans fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Destiny fanMicrobadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!
esed wrote:
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise racing game, seems like a kids game but is really not. Plays up to 5.
YES! This game is great! I feel like I'm the only one that ever recommends it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome to BGG !

Light to medium weight

Dominion
Board Game: Dominion

Le Fantôme de l'Opéra
Board Game: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra

Jaipur
Board Game: Jaipur

Kahuna
Board Game: Kahuna

San Juan (Second Edition)
Board Game: San Juan (Second Edition)

Tales of the Arabian Nights
Board Game: Tales of the Arabian Nights

Memoir '44
Board Game: Memoir '44

1775: Rebellion
Board Game: 1775: Rebellion

Seasons
Board Game: Seasons

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
Board Game: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases

Elder Sign
Board Game: Elder Sign

Targi
Board Game: Targi

Battle Line
Board Game: Battle Line

Hive
Board Game: Hive

Mid-heavy to heavy games

Letters from Whitechapel
Board Game: Letters from Whitechapel

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony
Board Game: Polis: Fight for the Hegemony

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
Board Game: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Android: Netrunner
Board Game: Android: Netrunner

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Board Game: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy
Board Game: Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy

Twilight Struggle
Board Game: Twilight Struggle

The Duke
Board Game: The Duke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tiller
msg tools
Thanks again for the overwhelming response!! We are looking forward to trying more - any comments on the ones we have -Discworld Ankh Morpork (I'm a pratchett fan) and the 7 wonders duel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Rex
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Black GoatMicrobadge: Fan of the game Glorantha: The Gods WarMicrobadge: Gamer GirlMicrobadge: Forces others to play boardgamesMicrobadge: Scientist
RTiller80 wrote:
Thanks again for the overwhelming response!! We are looking forward to trying more - any comments on the ones we have -Discworld Ankh Morpork (I'm a pratchett fan) and the 7 wonders duel
I have never played 7 wonders, normal or duel but I enjoy Discworld: Ankh-Morpork. It is not my favourite game, but that is probably because I like more games with direct confrontation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Plank
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: Glen More fanMicrobadge: Macao fanMicrobadge: Bruges fanMicrobadge: Russian Railroads fan
I'll suggest Rivals for Catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
Microbadge: I kick ass!Microbadge: KeyForge fan - MarsMicrobadge: KeyForge fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - BrobnarMicrobadge: I Read Game Rules on the Toilet
7 Wonders Duel is phenomenally good. There's a ton of options in that game. I really enjoy it. In fact, its a perfect distillation of 7 Wonders to the 2-player experience. There's an expansion coming out at some point that should make the game even more wide open.

Welcome to the Geek! If you are looking for information on couples' games, send me a Geekmail. I can point you in a good direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play games while I drinkMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Rum & Bones fanMicrobadge: 1-UpMicrobadge: Parent of One Boy
7 wounders duel is great!

The best two player game I have played is War of the Ring (Second Edition), it has more complex rules than the games you mentioned though.

A few games me and my girlfriend enjoy two player (no specific order)
Robinson Crouse
Arkham Horror
Android Netrunner
Star Realms
Summoner Wars
Claustrophobia
Seasons
Agricola
Fields of Arle
Last night on earth
Zombicide Black Plague
Legends of Andor

Edit: Cant wait to get my hands on Star Wars: Rebellion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with red!Microbadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: I play with Yellow!Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: I play with purple!
We play a lot of 2 player games. A brand new one we have been getting into is Adventure Land. You are adventurers exploring lands, and using swords, herbs, and dice to defeat monsters. Very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Olson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 7 Wonders fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
+1 Patchwork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Spirited Away fanMicrobadge: Android fanMicrobadge: QI fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (third edition) fan
RTiller80 wrote:
I like Discworld a lot, but mostly as a 3 or 4 player game. I had some trouble with it at 2 player. I haven't played Duel, just the full version of 7 Wonders with 5 players - it was fun, but less confrontational than I like my games.

My husband and I like to play (2 player) Battle Line, Innovation, War of the Ring, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, and Firefly: The Game. Race for the Galaxy is also good if you don't mind that it doesn't have a lot of direct conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |