Thumb up
2 Posts

Battle for Sularia» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on the Two starters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Tried the game again after printing the Board game geek v2 rulebook.

I enjoy it but haven't been through a whole game yet. Mostly because the Fiancee is having trouble with the Jotune. Anyone whos played (or designers!) what are some basic strategies for each?

I see the Synthein seem to be more speed and rush and Jotune seem to be more slower but pack a big punch.

Is this true is how its designed? A lot of the Jotune sites I see produce only 1 money or none but have boos effects.

When I played the Synthein, I had 5-6 buildings out early with no problem on cash, while the Jotune had 2, maybe 3. By that time I had a lot of units also.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punch-It Entertainment
msg tools
Hi Ian,

A couple of things seem unusual about your experiences and a couple of things seem usual.

The usual stuff first:

The Synthien are the number one producer of the resource sularium in the game. It is there factions major strength. The Jotune have to get creative in sularium production, thus the reason for cards like strength in numbers for one time resource bumps.

Now for the unusual:

The Synthien have only 11 combatants in total in the starter deck. One of them, Animus Vox, is a type 1. This means only one Vox can be in play at a time. The Jotune have 21 combatants in their deck and the bulk of them are under a sularium cost of 4.

Without a working knowledge of what happened in each game things can be difficult to suggest. Here are some of my basic tips.

-Spoils of War are invaluable to the Jotune on the list
-Evasion - save this for the Centropolis effect when you are trying to kill Centropolis
-Strenght in Numbers - use this to get more combatants on the field or increase the Vassad Sabotuers direct damage effect
- Fire from the Sky - stacks and gives each flier BARRAGE 1:2 triggers for each copy of the card.

Sometimes when the Synthien has a few combatants it's best to defend,Fenris is ideally suited for this task.

Fight like crazy to keep Synthien sularium production in the 8-10 range. Focus attacks on resource denial, worry about damage later. Although some of my team doesn't agree with this theory and they just go for big damage. Both strategies work...

In capable hands the win loss ratio after nearly 1000 playtest games with those decks is 52% in favor of Synthien.

Some quick changes that help:
Reduce cloud stronghold, forge sites, and put in 3/4 Security Posts.

Hope some of this helps and we can certainly answer any specific questions you may have.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.