1 Posts

Hnefatafl» Forums » Rules

Subject: Powers of the king rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Clark
United States
flag msg tools
I know that there is some debate on whether or not the goal of the game is to reach the corners, the edge or the edge of the board excluding attacker camps. I hear some complaints that "if playing to the corners is balanced, than playing to the edge will be too easy". The way to balance these games is by having a king with the correct stregnth.

If playing to the corners I suggest a king that is captured when surrounded on 4 sides and can participate in captures. This is the most powerful of the three king types. The reason for this is that the corner is the toughest goal to reach. (I believe that 3 attackers should be able to capture the king when using the edge a a fourth attacker).

If playing to the edges I recommend that the king must be captured on 4 sides but cannot participate in captures. Escaping to the Edge is the easiest goal for the defenders. A weaponed king is just too powerful. Attackers have a much easier time moving next to a weaponless king to stop his movements. Weaponed kings in edges escapes become overly powerful wrecking balls.

If playing to the edge excluding attacker camps than I believe that the king should be able to participate in captures but can be captured by only 2 attackers. Playing with attacker camps is sort of a hybrid between edge escape and corner escape. This type of king is sort of a hybrid between the previous two types of kings. Note that the throne shouldn't be used as a the second defender in this case. One attacker shouldn't be able to capture the king so close to his home. However if the king is adjacent to the attacker camp it can be capture with just one attacker. This style is used on an IOS app that I have I like how it's a cross between the two more common escape games, it seems pretty balanced.

There is a fourth type of king. A weaponless king that only requires capture on two sides. This king is far too weak. Perhaps it could be used as a teaching tool or as a LARGE handicap.

What are your thoughts? Do these powers of the kings create the most balance for their respective goals? Do you have any other suggestions? Which system do you think is best?
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.