Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the "good to know" category: The playdeck version of TS won't allow a game to end in a tie, so right now it's a "US win ties" ruling until they get confirmation from GMT on how ties are handled in tournaments.

Good to know for people thinking a tie won't register a lost in their stats. It will if playing USSR.

Quote:
We don't want games to end in ties.
The current tiebreaker is "USA wins ties", but that's a placeholder.
I'll need to consult with GMT on how they handle ties when they run tournaments at conventions.

http://playdek.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/1231-wargam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More complicated is that people view the ties differently.

Designers have ruled that if both players hold a scoring card, US wins.

Most people feel that a Wargames ending requires you to have 1 VP or else the tie goes to the person who did not play Wargames.

Final scoring ties on the ACTS ladder advance the US player, but it's considered arbitrary.

Personally I always thought the China Card should be 1½ VP in Final Scoring, since it is a clean, simple, easy to calculate tiebreaker, but that's just my own opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
alexdrazen wrote:
Most people feel that a Wargames ending requires you to have 1 VP or else the tie goes to the person who did not play Wargames.

I guess I missed the memo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelVal wrote:
alexdrazen wrote:

I guess I missed the memo.

I'm referring specifically to tournament rules where a winner is necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
alexdrazen wrote:
Personally I always thought the China Card should be 1½ VP in Final Scoring, since it is a clean, simple, easy to calculate tiebreaker, but that's just my own opinion.

I never heard of that one, but that's pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
Designers have ruled that if both players hold a scoring card, US wins.

Playdeck indicated that they indeed implemented that rule, referring to the TS FAQ.

Insane the amount of threads/faqs they must have gone through to get a final ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
A tie is a tie. Anything else is wrong. If the game ends and the score is at 0, it's pretty simple. How hard would it be for the stats to accommodate draws?

In elimination rounds of tournaments (i.e. not in Swiss rounds), I've seen draws broken by seeding (e.g. top seed advances) or simply rolling a die. That's up to the tournament organizer to decide, however, not Playdek, particularly when no one's playing tournaments on the program yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
MD1616 wrote:
A tie is a tie. Anything else is wrong. If the game ends and the score is at 0, it's pretty simple. How hard would it be for the stats to accommodate draws?

In elimination rounds of tournaments (i.e. not in Swiss rounds), I've seen draws broken by seeding (e.g. top seed advances) or simply rolling a die. That's up to the tournament organizer to decide, however, not Playdek, particularly when no one's playing tournaments on the program yet.

No. no. no. Capitalism and Communism cannot co-exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
game_monkey wrote:

No. no. no. Capitalism and Communism cannot co-exist.

"Hasta the imperialism, siempre!" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
In elimination rounds of tournaments (i.e. not in Swiss rounds), I've seen draws broken by seeding (e.g. top seed advances) or simply rolling a die.

What a horrible practice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
In elimination rounds of tournaments (i.e. not in Swiss rounds), I've seen draws broken by seeding (e.g. top seed advances) or simply rolling a die.

Why not just call it one-half point each like in chess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Max specifically pointed out this was for elimination rounds, not swiss rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, that's, like, your opinion, man
mbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:

Because they are elimination rounds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:

There's got to be better ways to do this.

After a tie, play the Late-War Scenario.
Or play to 10 VPs instead of 20.

Or how about the China Card counts as 1/2 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:

There's got to be better ways to do this.

After a tie, play the Late-War Scenario.
Or play to 10 VPs instead of 20.

Or how about the China Card counts as 1/2 VP.

Doesn't it already count as a VP at the end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
US advances on ties is used at WBC.

Higher seed advances was on wargameroom (though then higher seed is counted from games actually played in that tournament, not in some general ranking)

In both cases the tie is still a tie when it gets reported to AREA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Riku Riekkinen wrote:
US advances on ties is used at WBC.

Higher seed advances was on wargameroom (though then higher seed is counted from games actually played in that tournament, not in some general ranking)

In both cases the tie is still a tie when it gets reported to AREA.

Yes, as Riku notes, this was for the WGR leagues, and the seeding was based on a full 16-game season, so it's not like it was particularly random. I didn't have a problem with it in that case. A die roll is frustrating as well.

I don't like using the China Card as a tiebreaker because it's already worth something and it's clearly not meant to be worth more. As bad as a die roll is to break the tie, I consider that better than using China.

Really, there's no good answer. Although it's obviously not a happy situation for USSR, I don't have an issue with just saying that the US advances on a tie as long as it's clearly stated beforehand (as it was for WBC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
How about randomly selecting a score card, and whoever has the higher score there wins. In the event there is still a tie, repeat. If all score cards are somehow tied, then the winner is determined by a pie eating competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Fascinating to see a question I was about to post already answered on BGG. Just finished an online game of TS on Playek. I'm USSR, and getting beaten up in most continents. It's Turn 10 and -3 to USSR. I headline OPEC to take it to -6, and Coup on AR1 to take Defcon to 2. My opponent does some stuff in Europe to take him close to Control in that continent. Feeling pleased with myself, I play Wargames to take score track to 0, anticipating a draw. Playdek awards game to my opponent. Now I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
How about randomly selecting a score card, and whoever has the higher score there wins. In the event there is still a tie, repeat. If all score cards are somehow tied, then the winner is determined by a pie eating competition.

That incentivizes dominating more regions, which isn't necessarily better in game terms (i.e. it's designed so that scoring more in fewer regions can be just as good as scoring less in more regions, and it would mess up the whole system to change that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:

That incentivizes dominating more regions, which isn't necessarily better in game terms (i.e. it's designed so that scoring more in fewer regions can be just as good as scoring less in more regions, and it would mess up the whole system to change that).

True, but if you are playing to "win" the tie, then you'll likely be beat making it a non-issue.

It just seems less "arbitrary" than a die roll. Even though it more or less is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
I don't like using the China Card as a tiebreaker because it's already worth something and it's clearly not meant to be worth more. As bad as a die roll is to break the tie, I consider that better than using China.

I thought the proposal was to reduce the China card to 1/2 a VP. And that seems not too bad to me. Playing the China card doesn't cause a 2VP swing, but costs you a tie breaker. Seems reasonable to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the China card being worth 0.5.

Anyway, are there any solid stats on the percentage of games drawn?

All the discussion of balance and win ratios seems to tally up to 100%, like in the recent thread about favourite sides. Is that because the percentage of drawn games is too low to have an impact?

I suppose that even if such stats were available, all the situations in which Wargames would have been played by the US for the win wouldn't be factored in, so in any case it will be hard to gauge the impact of such a change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
I like the idea of the China card being worth 0.5.

Anyway, are there any solid stats on the percentage of games drawn?

All the discussion of balance and win ratios seems to tally up to 100%, like in the recent thread about favourite sides. Is that because the percentage of drawn games is too low to have an impact?

I suppose that even if such stats were available, all the situations in which Wargames would have been played by the US for the win wouldn't be factored in, so in any case it will be hard to gauge the impact of such a change.

If I had to guess, I'd say 1-1.5% of games are drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
I would suggest that China is worth 1.5 VP as you can always play it to break a battleground for at least a 1VP swing if you have it, and China seems like it should be at least as valuable as any other battleground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |