9 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Focus discard timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Haukur Arnarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
Hey had a weird scenario come up the other day when playing. We were playing skirmish and I had a focused Trandoshan Hunter. I went adjacent to an enemy figure that only had 1hp left. I declared an attack and the opponents command deck was empty so it did 1 automatic damage, because of "Relentless", and killed the figure never initiating the attack past "Declare attack"-step.

My question is, is the focus discarded because I declared an attack and the focus had to be used during it or do I keep it because no attack was actually resolved?

I was personally leaning towards the former but my opponent ruled that I'd keep it since no attack actually happened(It really didn't end up mattering as Boba Fett proceeded to obliterate the guy before his next activation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an interesting one. The rules for the cancelling of the attack say:

RRG - Interrupt wrote:
• If an interrupt makes the current action or ability invalid, that
effect is not resolved. Any costs used to resolve that effect are
still paid.

Discarding Focused happens after you resolve an attack. The rule here says the attack was never resolved, so I guess you get to keep Focused...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, agreed. None of the after attack resolves effects are resolved in this case. I think FFG has ruled as much, but don't have time to search for it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but the action is still used, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbione wrote:
Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
sabbione wrote:
Yes!

Which makes sense, because the action is spent right before the attack, so it would fall under the "Any costs used to resolve that effect are still paid."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haukur Arnarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
But isn't "Declare target" first step of an attack action and therefore technically an attack occurred? Or am I misunderstanding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: Declare target is a step of an attack (not Attack action). You may spend an action to perform an attack, but not all attacks are Attack actions.

I think of it this way: The figure was trying to declare a target, but could not get through the declare target step because the target was already defeated and removed from the map due to the interrupt. Thus the attack was aborted.

It seems you need to get to roll dice to be able to resolve an attack.

This may be clarified in the future and attacks that abort during later steps of an attack (for example due to the target no longer being in line of sight) may be treated differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haukur Arnarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
I see what you mean now, thanks for the clarification. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls