msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
I stole some black wooden camels from my copy of Oasis and tried this expansion out tonight, using the desert as the "oasis" that the expansion "requires." The wooden camels fit nicely with the overall look of the Settlers game, especially with the black robber pawn that, like the camels, also starts in the desert.

It worked just fine. We just stuck three camels right along three edges of the desert hex to start the game (as opposed to using the pre-drawn camel arrows on the oasis hex) and went from there (yeah, I guess those three camels we started with might have had a negligible impact on gameplay; they might have doubled some roads that the starting camel arrows on the oasis tile would not have allowed for... oh well). It was great seeing the little wooden camels roaming around Catan; I imagine the effect is just not quite the same with the little camel arrow tiles.

If you've got Oasis, try this "quick fix" for yourself. The variant is actually quite a bit of fun. We only had 3 players, so the "each card you play counts as one vote for bribing the camel caravan" rule didn't really have that much of an effect (in terms of players negotiating with each other); pretty much whoever played the most cards and was seated closest to the active player got to control the camels (because there weren't enough other players with enough votes when put together to "outbid" the person who simply had the most cards). Still, it was fun and added quite a bit to the game experience; I can imagine the negotiation and bribery aspects of the expansion would be a lot more robust with more players.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.