Popular Tags: [View All]
David M
United States
Huron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we're in Pre-War with the Nazi-Soviet Pact in place, and the Axis plays Demand Polish Corridor. Poland is still under Locarno (the Allies waited just one turn too long, Guarantees was their next card), and the Poles are an uninfluenced Neutral.

The Axis rolls on the International Crisis Table and gets referred to the Diplomatic Incident Table. A roll on that table produces Free Passage, so the Poles are amazingly activated as an Axis Minor. Just about the best possible outcome for Germany, but there it is.

And now comes the interesting part. Turns out the Soviet player had been prepping along the same lines and plays Demand Eastern Poland, and his roll returns Ceded Lands. Except Poland is now an Axis Minor!

The rule section for Ceded Lands doesn't address the possibility that Poland could be in THIS situation when the card is played, only talking about Influence. Common sense tells me that if a nonaggression pact partner demands my ally give up territory they pretty much just gave up on the "nonaggression" part. So are the Axis and the Soviets now at war?

This is an unusually tight rule book with excellent clarity, but at the same time it's organization isn't particularly coherent (with related things being cross referenced and organized). Is there another clause somewhere that breaks the puzzle and keeps me from just guessing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting situation. I know know so I'll await the answer with you. But looking at the first part of How to Read the Rules on p.3 and its first two examples it could be one of those that turns out as a "No Result".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's on the Russia demands Poland card. case one, if pact is in place, the land is ceded anyway. Russia doesn't have to roll, it's part of the deal (e.g. the split of Poland). It doesn't matter who Poland is allied to, nor whether it is already activated or not for Axis or WA.

No, they are not at war, the pact is in place.

Until you get used to the rule organization, which takes a while, it seems incoherent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Huron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
Very interesting situation. I know know so I'll await the answer with you. But looking at the first part of How to Read the Rules on p.3 and its first two examples it could be one of those that turns out as a "No Result".

Honosbinda wrote:
I think it's on the Russia demands Poland card. case one, if pact is in place, the land is ceded anyway. Russia doesn't have to roll, it's part of the deal (e.g. the split of Poland). It doesn't matter who Poland is allied to, nor whether it is already activated or not for Axis or WA.

No, they are not at war, the pact is in place.

Until you get used to the rule organization, which takes a while, it seems incoherent.
Thanks, I think you guys nailed it. First, the reminder to read the rules exactly as they are written. Second, reread the card with that in mind! Purely from the standpoint of logic, as in "If A, then apply B" it's clear that the rules are saying that since Pact is present, the territory is ceded. Period.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls