Hide
10 Posts

Quarantine» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placing Gray tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathew Backlund
msg tools
If I have a 3x3 hospital and in the corner is a Gray tile, that is surrounded by patients, and my opponent draws a Gray, does this make my hospital immune as there are no adjacent rooms for it to be placed in?

If yes, and we both have this setup, if a Gray is drawn is it added to the stock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
o_Aranore_o wrote:
If I have a 3x3 hospital and in the corner is a Gray tile, that is surrounded by patients, and my opponent draws a Gray, does this make my hospital immune as there are no adjacent rooms for it to be placed in?

If yes, and we both have this setup, if a Gray is drawn is it added to the stock?

Why mention patients? What does that have to do with anything?

The only way you could be 'immune' is if all 9 of your tiles had Graysels in them

... or if you have a hospital split by a containment room with graysel on one side with no other way to get to the other

... or if the graysel was in the corner, and on each side was a containment room, that would make you immune.

No other tile stops a graysel from spreading .. it doesn't care what in in the tile, nor whether it has patients or not

In fact, by being a 3x3, you get increased spread from completed nurses stations, so each graysel gets an extra graysel placed .. which is really bad (the opposite of what you were hoping)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Backlund
msg tools
MunchWolf wrote:
o_Aranore_o wrote:

Why mention patients? What does that have to do with anything?

The only way you could be 'immune' is if all 9 of your tiles had Graysels in them

... or if you have a hospital split by a containment room with graysel on one side with no other way to get to the other

... or if the graysel was in the corner, and on each side was a containment room, that would make you immune.

No other tile stops a graysel from spreading .. it doesn't care what in in the tile, nor whether it has patients or not

In fact, by being a 3x3, you get increased spread from completed nurses stations, so each graysel gets an extra graysel placed .. which is really bad (the opposite of what you were hoping)
Hospital set up...

(red room) (green room) (pharmacy)
(yellow room)(yellow room)(blue room)
(red room) (lobby) (containment)

I have a Gray on the top left room, and a patient on the green and yellow adjacent rooms. I don't cure them, leaving them on the board. I use pharmacy to cure from the front of my line. In the rules is says "you must place a Gray on any spot, if the hospital has no Gray's, or if there is one, you must place it adjacent to the other Gray." since I have the spots adjacent to it filled, there is no legal adjacent spot to place Gray.

... Or that's how I'm interpretating it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
o_Aranore_o wrote:
In the rules is says "you must place a Gray on any spot, if the hospital has no Gray's, or if there is one, you must place it adjacent to the other Gray." since I have the spots adjacent to it filled, there is no legal adjacent spot to place Gray.

... Or that's how I'm interpretating it.

I don't know what rules you are reading, but here is what it actually says in the rule book:

Quote:
... it must be placed on any tile in the hospital of any player (including the lobby tile)

I see no mention of spots in the rules.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/9wcjk4w8q3/Quaran...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or you could have looked at the example in the rule book and seen the same thing ...

note: by having a 2x2 square, you get an extra graysel from the stock when on of the tiles in the square get infected (but only 1 additional) ... so having a 3x3 set up means you get infected a lot quicker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Backlund
msg tools
MunchWolf wrote:

"If you draw a Gray disease Cube, it is not added to any Wait Line. Instead it must be placed on any tile in the hospital of any player (including a Lobby Tile). If the selected hospital does not contain any tiles that are under Quarantine you may Quarantine any tile. If the hospital already contains one or more tiles under Quarantine, the Gray cube must be used to Quarantine a tile that is not yet Quarantined and that is Adjacent to any tiles already Quarantined"

there about spots. It doesn't make sense why they are explicitly saying it. I'm interpreting it as a literal disease spreading through the building, but if you have patients with other diseases they will stop that spread by being in the way, in treatment rooms being medicated. Other wise I'd expect the rules to say "if the adjacent tile has a patient in it, replace it with a Gray from the stock pile"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

There's no rule preventing you from having both the Gray cube and a patient cube at the same tile.

If you look at the "Action: Cure Patients." section of the rule, you will read this line: "Patients cannot be cured if they are in a room that is Quarantined, although..." Which could only happened if you have both Gray cube and a patient cube on the same tile (the treatment room in this case)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Backlund
msg tools
eunoia wrote:

There's no rule preventing you from having both the Gray cube and a patient cube at the same tile.

If you look at the "Action: Cure Patients." section of the rule, you will read this line: "Patients cannot be cured if they are in a room that is Quarantined, although..." Which could only happened if you have both Gray cube and a patient cube on the same tile (the treatment room in this case)
Mind blown when realized we have been playing the game wrong.

Whooooops. Thanks lol. we def have not been placing in occupied patient rooms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
o_Aranore_o wrote:

"If you draw a Gray disease Cube, it is not added to any Wait Line. Instead it must be placed on any tile in the hospital of any player (including a Lobby Tile). If the selected hospital does not contain any tiles that are under Quarantine you may Quarantine any tile. If the hospital already contains one or more tiles under Quarantine, the Gray cube must be used to Quarantine a tile that is not yet Quarantined and that is Adjacent to any tiles already Quarantined"

can you please point out the word SPOT in this section?

The cube moves onto and through tiles. It doesn't care what is on the tile (unless in is a containment tile). It does not care about patients. You can have a patient and a gray cube on the same tile. You just can't put a patient on a tile with a gray cube. Nothing stops the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Backlund
msg tools
MunchWolf wrote:
o_Aranore_o wrote:

can you please point out the word SPOT in this section?

The cube moves onto and through tiles. It doesn't care what is on the tile (unless in is a containment tile). It does not care about patients. You can have a patient and a gray cube on the same tile. You just can't put a patient on a tile with a gray cube. Nothing stops the other way.
yeah like the other user pointed out my group missed that part in the rules. We assumed it meant you couldn't, but missed the point in the cure patients about Gray's being in the same tile. Def been playing game the wrong way haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls