Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my game by mail today!

I must have ordered one of the last games in stock, because the very next day after placing my order the offical website posted an announcement that they were temporarily out of stock and awaiting shipment from their publisher. That was last week! I had to wonder if my order had been fulfilled or if I had to wait. Contact with the company assurred me that my game was on the way. Whew! That was close!

So, I have read the rules. Set up some figures. I have looked over the adventure book just to get an idea of what is in store there. I have browsed a few bios. I hope to play my first game(s) tonight, which will probably consist of a standard game or two as we learn how the game works. I think we'll skip the basic game altogether.

By the way, the reason I purchased this game was based on recommendations in this and other forums at BGG. It looks good. Thanks. If it turns out how I think it will, my next microbadge will reflect my approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been one of the most fun games we've played in a long time. I hope to find time to play a little more and make an attempt at a review. I hope more people get involved because this game begs for a good online fan presence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwquinn wrote:

I must have ordered one of the last games in stock, because the very next day after placing my order the offical website posted an announcement that they were temporarily out of stock and awaiting shipment from their publisher.

Did they say when they expect the shipment to arrive? I'm thinking about picking up a couple of more copies, one for a friend and a second for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandrake wrote:
jwquinn wrote:

I must have ordered one of the last games in stock, because the very next day after placing my order the offical website posted an announcement that they were temporarily out of stock and awaiting shipment from their publisher.

Did they say when they expect the shipment to arrive? I'm thinking about picking up a couple of more copies, one for a friend and a second for myself.

No, no indication on when their stock will be resupplied, or at what stage of the process they are. When I E-mailed them, they were quick to reply and let me know that my game was on the way. They might be quick to answer your question as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information, Jon. Much obliged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barryzimm wrote:
It's been one of the most fun games we've played in a long time. I hope to find time to play a little more and make an attempt at a review. I hope more people get involved because this game begs for a good online fan presence.

It really is a gem of a game. Does the fact that I've begun converting some of my old action figures into Wyrd City characters make me an official fan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:
Didn't get the chance to play my first game until last night.

We both liked it a lot. We played the standard game and used random selection of our teams (we each had 4). The standard game is simple enough tolearn unless you're teaching a young child or someone pretty unfamiliar with strategy games.

I will rate it after a few more games, but I can see that it is going to be a good rating.

Our biggest problem in the first game was remembering to use the powers of characters not directly involved to affect the active character taking his/her/its turn(like "add 1 to the attack of all open friendly characters"... we would forget to add 1 some of the time)and some end of round powers (Like "decay - give a "pow" to all adjacent characters). This wording is apporiximate - I do not remember the exact wording and am too lazy to go into the other room and check it.

This problem will diminish as we become more accustomed to the game... in fact, even toward game's end last night we were remembering these much, much better than at the game's beginning. There is a lot to watch for and be aware of, but please do not take this as a complaint - it definitely is not. It means you must stay on your toes even during an opponent's character's movement and action. This is a fun game and I am very, very pleased with it.

Oh yes.... I lost. Trust me.... it did not take away from the pleasure of playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
jwquinn wrote:
Oh yes.... I lost. Trust me.... it did not take away from the pleasure of playing the game.

I'm the same way. I'm a pretty competitive-minded gamer, but I find that losing a game of Capes & Cowls detracts very little from my enjoyment of the game. The battles have such great story value that even taking a beating can be a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls