Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Hi All,

I am the creator of the game Of Dreams & Shadows. It is a fully self-funded project that has been in development since early 2014.

Of Dreams & Shadows is a setting that is primarily influenced by Celtic mythology. My main goal with the game is to create a dark fantasy-themed world with a deep story background and compelling characters. I hope that it will appeal to players that love roleplaying games in a more streamlined board game format.

The world has been brought to life by the very talented Matt Forsyth who has drawn over 100 unique illustrations. A key feature of the game involves collaborative storytelling; players read scenarios to each other and each scenario requires passing a test or making a choice. The rules are also fairly straightforward with a heavy emphasis on tactical combat and teamwork.

Update:

I'm pleased to announce that Of Dreams & Shadows is released in Canada! It is currently available on Amazon.ca and I will be working on expansion to Amazon.com for US availability in the near future.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01G6GTOTY?tag=article-geekdo-20

As for future plans, I will be in discussions with several distributors in Essen with the intention to make the game accessible via retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw the latest picture on the front page, which led me here The art looks nice and the game sounds interesting.
Can you upload a rules pdf or do you have a gameplay video? And do you plan to present the game on bigger events, e.g. Essen Spiel in Germany in October?

The more information you can give about the gameplay the better The description sounds a little like Eldritch Horror, gameplay wise, for me, so if you know EH can you say more about what distinguishes your game from EH? And how big is the luck factor in your game due to dice rolling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the interest in the game. I am actually uploading the Rule Book this weekend. There is also a gameplay walkthrough tutorial being developed on the game website, which should be out later in June.

I do plan on demonstrating the game at certain events and am looking into attending Essen Spiel in October and Gencon in 2017.

The gameplay has some similarities with EH, but there are also distinct differences. Here are 2 examples:

1) Combat has a much greater focus in this game. Each combat round has a part for attacking and then defending. Combat rounds continue until there is a victor (with an option for retreating). There are many card abilities, such as Combat Feats, that promote teamwork among players and many special abilities of your enemies affect combat in some way. While some Champions are better suited to direct combat, others have support abilities that can turn the tide. There is a much greater incentive for players to develop cooperative combat tactics more akin to what you would see in a RPG like D&D.

2) The story is more in-depth and interactive. Players don't read their own scenario cards, another player reads it to them. This is partly because nearly a third of all scenarios involve making a choice (so no peeking). Each scenario also has much more story content, with more detail on the consequences of your choices or passing/failing a test. World scenario and Quest scenario cards are much larger and each card is just one encounter. The Quest scenarios tell a story that relates directly to the Villain and their minions, where you learn more about the plot, the various characters and the means to defeat them. Without giving too much away, the Villains are not evil just for the sake of being evil.

To answer your last question, I would say there is less of a luck factor. It is a dice rolling game so there's an element of luck, but it is actually one die (or in some cases two and you pick the best result). This means less randomness than rolling many dice for each test. There are also ways to affect the roll with finite resources e.g. Willpower can be spent in combat to reroll a die and Boon tokens can be spent to increase the die result in Scenarios. Deciding when to let a bad roll go or not is a key element to playing the game well. Finally, when it comes to consequences, there is nothing like an auto-death from a single bad roll in any scenario. Hope that helps answer your questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, sounds great so far
I might come back with more questions after you uploaded the rulebook.

One suggestions as it seems that not many people are aware of this game, you might consider sending out some review copies, e.g. to rahdo, Board Game Brawl etc to create some hype for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
I'd be happy to answer any more questions and thanks for the recommended reviewers. I definitely will be sending out review copies as soon as my first shipment is available and will include them along with others such as the Dice Tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Of Dreams & Shadows has now entered full production. The estimated manufacturing and shipping time from China is 9-12 weeks so the game should be available for sale by September. Another update will be provided this Summer with a final date of release.

Also, there will be a booth showcasing the game at SPIEL in October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United Kingdom
Southwell
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you provide a link to the official website which you refer to above please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Dziewonski
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
wannabe designer, arduous gamer, aspiring creator
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled upon OD&S through the SPIEL 2016 Preview list, and I have to say it looks really beautiful. Made me think a bit of Earthdawn and Chronopia, some of my favourite dark(er) fantasy settings.

I hope to get a demo game if I make it to your table... Fingers crossed for a smooth release!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Hi John,

Here is the link:

http://www.ofdreamsandshadows.com/

There is more information there on character back stories and a Turn Walkthrough.

Regards,

Gordon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United Kingdom
Southwell
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiamar wrote:
Hi John,

Here is the link:

http://www.ofdreamsandshadows.com/
I probably should have guessed that! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Vesper wrote:
I stumbled upon OD&S through the SPIEL 2016 Preview list, and I have to say it looks really beautiful. Made me think a bit of Earthdawn and Chronopia, some of my favourite dark(er) fantasy settings.

I hope to get a demo game if I make it to your table... Fingers crossed for a smooth release!
Thanks! I never tried Earthdawn, but playing World of Darkness RPGs in the '90s definitely had an influence on the setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Castermans
Belgium
Lanaken
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks astonishing for a self-published and self-funded game. Amazing art, interesting world and a lot of room for expansion sets.
Definitely gonna visit your boot in Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pre-ordered the game through the web site and cannot wait for the final product to get into my hands.
Is it still on track for a September release??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Robert,

Yes, it is on track. The first shipment arrived on the West Coast and will soon be heading to an Amazon Fulfillment Center. An email will be sent out later this week to confirm your pre-order and shipping details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teong Teh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
This game really looks interesting. Would like to know possibility of SOLO play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Teong, you would miss out on some of the gameplay experience when it comes to players reading Scenarios to each other. If you're fine with that, then sure you can play it solo. I'd recommend playing with 2 Champions and hiding the Scenario cards so you don't see the consequences of choices and success/failure until you reach that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teong Teh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Just read some of your posted scenario cards, really felt like RPG making decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just building my Essen shopping list and found out about this game. Looks great, is it possible to buy it or to preorder it for pickup in Essen? Thanks a lot for a brief info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Vasil,

I am simply taking down names of people who want me to reserve a copy for them in Essen. I have a limited quantity going there, but can set one aside for you and you can just pay the 40 Euros when you pick it up. Let me know.

Cheers,

Gordon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not received an e-mail.
Should I be worried?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Robert,

The shipment arrived in Toronto yesterday, but Amazon won't receive it until mid-next week so we are unfortunately delayed by a week. Sorry about that. I will update the release date above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info.
I really appreciate you keeping us up to date about what is going on.
Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Gitton
France
Dardilly
- SELECT -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, may I pre order it for Essen 2016 ?

Regards
Laurent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laurent, just go four posts up, there you will find instructions by the game designer himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Laurent, I have one set aside for you.

Amazon has processed my shipment so the game will be released across North America tomorrow! Those who pre ordered directly on the website will receive an email today with a link to confirm shipping details and payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |