Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: hypnotherapy [+] [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I held out for five years, but tonight I took the plunge. My wife had been mentioning it for the past three or four weeks but we never seem to have found the time to do anything about it. But the stars aligned and we watched (I most, she a tiny portion of) American Idol.

I know that everyone else in America has seemingly seen this show, but I never had. And, dammit, that thing is two hours long! As I watched, I kept thinking, "They're not going to get through 11 participants at this rate," only to find out that the show goes for two solid hours. Eek!

But we kept reading about some local fellow in our newspaper saying, "We'll have to watch before he gets booted out." And now we have. I can't say it was Must See TV (what is?), but it wasn't as horrible as I expected. I really figured they'd make contestants cry and do lots of close-ups to see the tears and mascara. But it was reasonably civil. I just wonder how much true competition there is to it and how much it's a popularity contest.

And finally, what the hell is "pitchy?" Paula Abdul said it once or twice and that Randy fellow who I've never heard of before must have said it three or four times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

I saw some reruns of the first season of AI, and I was surprised that Paula was incredibly coherent back then. What happened>

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this leaves my wife and I as the last remaining holdouts in America who haven't (and won't) watch this show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I guess this leaves my wife and I as the last remaining holdouts in America who haven't (and won't) watch this show.

You are not alone my friend. I've never seen it and have no interest in doing so.

As for that clip, that's the first time I've seen it but I remember when it happened reading somewhere that her PR person claimed she was simply having trouble with her chair....yeah right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Godeke wrote:

I wouldn't watch the show if my life depended on it. My girlfriend calls me up all the time to watch the beginning of a new season to see the poor singers, but I would rather not watch a show where we have fun laughing at people who have their dreams crushed, even if their dreams wouldn't ever be reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Godeke wrote:

We're with you too! As a bonus, Survivor hasn't ever been on in our house, either, but we've both been exposed at other's houses.

This Idol thing is out of hand. My son's third grade class has a pin a name on backs and ask other kids questions about who it was. My son got Randy something and had no idea who it was. I had to ask who it was. Needless to say, my son didn't get it. Fortunately there were other things to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Randy, for slightly distancing yourself from the ranks of the willfully ignorant. Every time some yahoo at BGG starts blathering about their justifications for despising some poor old TV show that has proven immeasurably popular with the masses, I think of Michael Barnes and his incessant blathering about his justifications for despising various games that are immeasurably popular with masses of other BGGers.

With regard to "the shaggy haired kid", not only are there websites out there devoted to advancing the least-deserving contestants, but huge numbers of pre-pubescent young girls with access to telephones are madly in love with Sanjaya. It should also be pointed out that he by no means had the worst performance last night, by almost any metric, and his audition was brilliant. While America seems to have kept him on board thus far as an expression of either morbid curiosity or puppy love, you can be pretty sure that they will vote him off just as he attains the level of confidence and polish that most of the other current contestants brought on day one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unintended consequence or Cruel Joke?

I've not seen American Idol nor Survivor nor Amazing Race even though I finally figured out that that is the AR people were refering to in a previous thread.

Having said that, I was hypnotized in early October of 2005 to quit smoking.

Since the second session of three, I've not had an urge for a cigarette. And since the third session I've not watched ANY broadcast television. I've only turned the television on to watch movies on DVDs. However it occured to me just last week that every movie I've purchased since October 2005 stars Michael Caine.

Consequence? Joke? Did my hypnotherapist transfer her obsession with Michael Caine to me? Or just coincidence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Godeke wrote:

I have not seen it.

What are the numbers? Half the population watches it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Michael Caine is a handsome man.

Yeah, he is and so am I and my hypnotherapist is a woman. Hmmmmm. There might be a connection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Not watching American Idol (or Survivor) does not make one morally superior, you know.

True, but those of us who are morally superior don't watch them.

laugh shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Well, I held out for five years, but tonight I took the plunge.

You failed to give an answer to the obvious question: Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Not watching American Idol (or Survivor) does not make one morally superior, you know.

We don't watch sitcoms regularly, because the Red Wings could play on any day of the week and my wife insists on seeing the games all live.
(And, no, I won't buy a TiVo, because I do not want to encourage people in my house to spend any more time in front of the "brain-sucker.")

The kids also watch some cartoons and Animal Planet, but otherwise, it's pretty much DVD's or nothing. If I had my way, we would have one TV and it would be in a room with no comfortable seating and hooked to exercise bike. Alas, being married (coming up on twenty years) leads to compromises.

I don't think of people that watch TV as morally inferior, just easily entertained... laugh

(For the record, I am mostly kidding, too. There've been periods in my life when I "wasted" hours in front of that glowing hypnotic box, too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:
How is watching DVD's better than watching television? I mean, it depends on what you choose to watch, doesn't it.

It's a much more efficient method of watching TV. You can watch 3 half hour episodes in just over an hour. And you can't get Dick Van Dyke and I Love Lucy on network TV.

(I don't even watch those very often, but my wife puts them on for background noise and the kids are intrigued with the old TV shows.)

(It's still brainsucking, IMO)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
So you had sex while watching American idle? I'd think all the pitchiness would ruin the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

Consequence? Joke? Did my hypnotherapist transfer her obsession with Michael Caine to me? Or just coincidence?

Is Alfie in any of those movies you bought? I watched it not too long ago, and had a laugh when Alfie was telling someone that his doctor told him to cut down to something like only a pack of cigarettes a day. What wonderful early '70s British medical advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

LOL. I remember well someone a few months back posting a comment about Harry Potter books that read something to the effect of "The idiots who think that Happy Potter is literature". It's very easy to think ones self as superior because we don't enjoy something that others do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn that Happy Potter. I'm so tired of crappy Japanese knock-offs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomadik wrote:
scribidinus wrote:

Is Alfie in any of those movies you bought? I watched it not too long ago, and had a laugh when Alfie was telling someone that his doctor told him to cut down to something like only a pack of cigarettes a day. What wonderful early '70s British medical advice

Somehow she got to you too!?

Maybe she's a hypnotherapissed. And she's pissed off because... for... help me here... I can't put all the pieces together. When I think too hard about it I feel compelled to... quack... quack...quack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
Well, I held out for five years, but tonight I took the plunge.

You failed to give an answer to the obvious question: Why?

I thought I mentioned that.

Our local newspaper kept having headlines about "Sligh," which I thought was a typo for the word "Sly." Finally, I read an article and we learned that one of the people on the show (the "chubby" one) is from this area, so we decided to watch it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes. I don't care much for American Idol, and didn't watch it much at all until last night. (I caught maybe a grand total of two hours over the past six seasons not counting last night.) And the only reason I watched it last night was a neighbor had it turned up so loud I could hear it, and I figured if I had to listen to it I'd just as soon watch it. (Which was a great benefit when Haley came on... ;-))

C'mon. It's a TV show. At least most (though certainly not all) of these people have talent. It's better than a lot of TV with dreadful plots, repetitive dialog, and average acting. I probably won't watch it again unless the theme is something I'm interested in; it's just not my thing. And, certainly, the astronomical number of people who watch it is waay out of proportion with its creative contributions. But it's certainly not a BAD show, even if it's not your sort of thing. Lighten up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja I don't watch TV. But AI and reality-TV shows are a large part of the reason WHY I won't watch TV. These shows play to the most base voyeuristic instincts. It's drek. I've got better uses for my time; so do the rest of you Geeks (except maybe Cranky).
"Pitchy" is purely nonsensical, and should give folks an indication that these "judges" know NOTHING about music...they only know marketing.
Self-righteous blathering justification concluded. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

(It's still brainsucking, IMO)

My point exactly. It doesn't matter if you watch a broadcast or a dvd, it's what you watch that matters. I feel that watching documentaries, news and that sort of programs is not brainsucking and classic movies are just as important as music, literature or theater.

I'll buy some of this, but I've not seen an actual news program for years. There's infotainment, but the signal to noise ratio is horrid.

Maksimov wrote:

All these artforms produce their share of meaningless fluff, but also important milestones that can be stimulating as well as entertaining. Sometimes they can even be both at the same time. As for the pure fluff, I think it's healthy to exercise a little escapism now and then. Feed your imagination.

They have these really interesting things in the local library that usually do that for me. I don't have a problem with anyone watching TV, but I'd rather play a game, a computer game or even engage in an Internet debate than watch TV most of the time. We do watch the occasional movie, it can be fun.

Maksimov wrote:

I really don't see the point of putting a dvd on for background noise, though. If you need to have the background noice, put on a record or the radio. If I'm not watching the television, I turn it off. When I turn it on, I usually have a good reason to do so(=an interesting program).

I think it's mostly a homemaker thing. My mom did the same thing with soap operas back in the day. She usually wasn't even in the same room and couldn't tell you the plot, but she had it on. Of course, we were outside playing. I am with you, if that damn glowing screen is on someone should be watching it. It took me years to be able to ignore one when I am in the same room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
ninja I don't watch TV. But AI and reality-TV shows are a large part of the reason WHY I won't watch TV. These shows play to the most base voyeuristic instincts. It's drek. I've got better uses for my time; so do the rest of you Geeks (except maybe Cranky).
"Pitchy" is purely nonsensical, and should give folks an indication that these "judges" know NOTHING about music...they only know marketing.
Self-righteous blathering justification concluded. ninja

I don't watch any show I don't like, whether it be a so-called "reality show" (hint: there is no such thing) or any other type of dreck that gets foisted off as worthwhile entertainment by the bottom-feeding marketing clowns who pepper the television industry so liberally with their mental fecal matter. Nor do I expect any other person to actively engage in activities or entertainments that do not suit their aesthetic sense, base voyeuristic instincts, sensibilities, etc.

That said, there is nothing basely voyeuristic about American Idol. The people who compete on that show have essentially said, "Look, we think we're worth watching because we know we are talented." There is great pathos is watching many of them proved wrong, as well as much joy and entertainment in seeing how their audience will occasionally support their assertions. That everybody isn't of a like mind surrounding the entertainment value is hardly news--but base voyeurism consists of staring through your neighbor's window at his or her naked genitalia. Base voyeurism entails crawling in traffic past the scene of an accident that in no way requires you to slow down, simply because you want to gawk with ultra-pliable neck at casualties and property damage.

The inability to find the value in the shared experience of watching other people aspire to fame and fortune with your fellow human beings is pretty sad, and full of pathos in its own right. To paraphrase that paragon of entertainment value, Mr. T: I pity you, fools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Oh, it's definitely more a popularity contest than a singing competition, otherwise that shaggy-haired kid wouldn't continue to suck week after week. He'd have gone home weeks ago.

I read somewhere (Onion AV Club?) that there's some sort of intarweb griefer group who's trying to keep the shaggy-haired kid on the show. I think they're trying to "break" the show by making the least talented guy win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.