Lost Cities» Forums » General

Subject: Can Lost Cities help us understand the human mind better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured out something very intriguing about this game. I think with your help this game might be the key to reveal the darkest of secrets of the human mind. Very recently I downloaded several score sheets from this site. And as I did analyse the lot of them I noticed that all of them, with exception of one (and we do all know that an exception is not part of the rule!) had the same alignment of the board: the Yellow expedition on the left side and the red expedition on the right side (or, alternatively the yellow on top and the red in bottom position of the score sheet, but which obviously translates the same board alignment as the previously mentioned: top=left and bottom=right).

And this seems to be common in all of the cases I have had opportunity to check out (with exception of that one I mentioned before). Now you could obviously say it is not true, since one of the player does see the board the other way around. But I do assume that there is one leading player, and with this I mean that one of both players is the one that prepares the game, meaning: place the board, shuffle and deal the cards! I for myself for example am always the person in the gaming group that prepares all the games.

There seems to be a tendency to arrange the board according to some visual reading: positive colors on the left side negative colors on the right side. By positive I mean warm colors and by negative I mean cold, shallow colors. Even though the three middle expeditions are not accordingly arranged (blue as a cold color, then white as neutral color followed by green as a slightly warmer color then blue, this is the alignment if yellow is on the left side (so next to blue) and red on the left next to green). Now you will say that I'm not making any sence: Red is a much warmer color then yellow!! True, but not in this game, because the red cards have a very strong presence of the color black, due to the many shadows!! I'de even dare to say that black is dominant. And regarding the expedition map on the board, it is a very "washed away" red, that seems to dilute with the white.

And the interresting thing is that on the yellow expedition map on the board there are depicted five lines of hieroglyphs, and if the yellow expedition is on your left side you would have trhee lines head down (so "readable" to you opponent) and only two lines facing yourself... get the point?

Now I would be very interrested in asking you to try something out for me. Next time you play this game you take out the board and lay it vertically between you and your opponent and let him/her align the board the way he/she likes. Even thou we have to count on the strong likelyness that that person, if a regular opponent will put the board the same way you do (this means red on his/her left side and yellow on his/her right side) since that player is probably very accustommed to that alignment, but if you have a chance to play with someone new to the game or someone who hasen't played very often or for a long time... let me know what happens

Since this game has a very strong reputation for being a wife/girlfriend game, you might be able to penetrate her... mind and find out about her most twistet thoughts, the hatred she always felt for you!

Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Can Lost Cities help us understand the human mind better
It's usually my husband who sets up the board, but it's always me who has yellow on the left side. Also, when counting scores we both start with red and end with yellow. Doesn't quite seem to fit your theory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And do you feel like secretly stabbing your husband?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hullo hullo hullo! So where exactly were you sitting-after she arranged the board and you then adjusted it to suit your 'gut feeling'..as u put it...where was your girlfriend sitting when she suddenly went missing then A??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always set up the board with yellow on the right. I think this was just how I had it on my first session of the game, so I kept it this way for consistancy.

I also always do scoring for both players starting with yellow. This is likely due to yellow being the left color for my opponent, I always score my opponent first, and left to right is natural.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
I also always set up the board with yellow on my right. This is how it's presented on BSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're going to need a bigger tub.
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
I also always set up the board with yellow on my right. This is how it's presented on BSW.

Yep, BSW effect for me too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pedrator wrote:
And do you feel like secretly stabbing your husband?

Well, only when he steals the white 10 devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well, only when he steals the white 10

So you DO feel like stabbing your husband... sometimes! I feel much more confident in my very complex and accurate theory now! Amelia, don't mind what all the other guys posted on this thread! You need help! You have to calm down that wild beast that coexists within you and which this bewitched game infuriates! Stop playing Lost Cities immeditaly! Apply it as a professional dust accumulater in your livingroom if you like, but NEVER EVER play it again... promise me... I'm only saying this for your own good!

Quote:
This is the kind of armchair speculation that can get the sh*t kicked out of you on the subway. "Have I told you my 'Hey That's My Fish' theory of initial 3-fish tile placement and the quasi-random (without replacement) theory of vomonaseral attraction matrices?" BAM!!!!

Daren, I feel hostility in your words. You only said those evil things because you are envious. You feel inferior to me because I formulated this groundbraking theory before you did, and now you are trying to make me look ridiculous in front of this geeky scinetific community. Shame on you... Don't you see that we all have to come together? Amelia needs our help!! We have to unite! Be reasonable! COME TO YOUR SENCES MAN!!! Bloody hell... we are all lost... what can we do?... aaaarrrgghhhh!! Being.... con-sumed... must... be... strong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daren, Daren... there really is no way to save your envious soul... you know the other day I got another scientific breakthrough! I mannaged to prove that sulphur is not an element per se, but instead is a composition of two other things: Jealousy and Hatred, which, when mixed in the right amounts result into sulphur. Which also explains why the devil and hell smell so badly... I mean the devil is an extremely jealous creature and hates almost everything.

A soon as I read you last post:

Quote:
Take your meds, Pedro. ) devil

I immediately smelled that filthy stink of sulphur, which proves that you feel Jealous of me and that you hate me. Therefor... you are pure evil, you must be a slave of the devil = devil, send to destroy the truth I'm trying to spread through the world...

BACK TO HELL YOU PUPPET OF SATAN!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Could please someone GIVE him his meds... thanks devil

PS: The devil is only to focus Pedros attention on my post.... hehe devil

PPS: Ooops... that second one slipped just out by accident

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sebastian!! Was geht Du alter Sack! Von dir habe ich ja schon lange nichts mehr gehört! Hoffe alles o.k. mit dir!

Was machst du den so? Ich lebe jetzt ja mittlerweile in Portugal. Läuft richtig super hir am Ozean

Lass mal wieder von dir hören. Machs gut,
Gruss,
Pedro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sanford bledsoe
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has more to do with the fact that the board is oriented Yellow to Red on both the back of the package, as well as the scoring breakdown in the rules, than it does with some kind of collective unconscious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandee... you just shook my world... why do have to be so cold and realistic? Can a man not live his fantasy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.