Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: This is also the place to discuss UK Maths Trade LEFTOVERS June 2016

Leftovers list opens: Wed 22nd June 2016
Leftovers list closes: Mon 27th June 2016, 8pm
Deadline for submitting wantlists: Wed 29th June 2016, 8pm

This is the discussion thread for the UK Maths Trade June 2016.

People here are amazingly friendly and will guide you through your first trade. Ask away - the only silly question is the one you don't ask.

Key Dates
List opens: Wed 8th June 2016
List closes: Sat 18th June 2016, 2pm
Deadline for submitting lists: Tue 21st June 2016, 8pm

Getting the discussion thread open early to sort out timings.

The trade is not active and there is no thread to see or post to as yet.

When there is, I will edit this post with links and more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the trades usually start at the beginning of the month, but with the Expo (and the linked no-ship trade) I'm proposing the following dates:

Main trade:

> Start Saturday 11th
> Close Saturday 18th
> Submit wants by Tuesday 21st

Leftovers trade:

> Start Thursday 23rd
> Close Saturday 25th
> Submit wants by Monday 27th

The leftovers dates could slip, depending upon how the main trade works out.
I thought about shortening the week available to list items, but getting two weekends in there probably maximises everybody's chance of listing their games.

Any comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on timings is that it's a lot easier to list games (the OLWLG offers a lot of support*) than it is to research and construct a wantlist.
*copy from collection & copy from previous MTs

One weekend for listing is plenty, IMO; one full weekend is necessary for researching & constructing a wantlist.

For whatever reason, no matter how long the listing-window a lot of people leave it until the last minute. Making the last minute occur earlier won't make a difference.

Maybe I'd do this:

Main trade:

> Start any weekday before Saturday 11th
> Close Friday 17th
allow a full weekend to research & construct wants
> Submit wants by Tuesday 21st (could be Monday 20th)

but I'm not wedded to any particular structure as being retired my time is my own. More valid input would come from folks who still have to work for a living.

Thanks for asking though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
My take on timings is that it's a lot easier to list games (the OLWLG offers a lot of support*) than it is to research and construct a wantlist.
*copy from collection & copy from previous MTs

One weekend for listing is plenty, IMO; one full weekend is necessary for researching & constructing a wantlist.

For whatever reason, no matter how long the listing-window a lot of people leave it until the last minute. Making the last minute occur earlier won't make a difference.

Maybe I'd do this:

Main trade:

> Close Friday 17th
allow a full weekend to research & construct wants
> Submit wants by Tuesday 21st (could be Monday 20th)

but I'm not wedded to any particular structure as being retired my time is my own. More valid input would come from folks who still have to work for a living.

Thanks for asking though!

I fully agree! (Especially if the trade is announced early before.) Personally, I'd rather have 2 days to list and a week to edit the wishlist. Decide how it suits you though.
Edit: I do see the point in adding some weekdays though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear what has been said above and generally agree with the thinking behind those comments. However, the ease of submitting games via the OLWLG function only assists with repeat entries. I always try to add some new offerings each time, so quite often I waste hours checking contents and counting bits and pieces of games that I have not previously put into a Math Trade.

What I am basically saying is that a couple of days to list is maybe not long enough. I would ask for 4 or 5 days minimum. Plus that allows participants to join in when they might have been taking a weekend away for example.

However, like all, I will be guided by the organiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
I hear what has been said above and generally agree with the thinking behind those comments. However, the ease of submitting games via the OLWLG function only assists with repeat entries. I always try to add some new offerings each time, so quite often I waste hours checking contents and counting bits and pieces of games that I have not previously put into a Math Trade.

What I am basically saying is that a couple of days to list is maybe not long enough. I would ask for 4 or 5 days minimum. Plus that allows participants to join in when they might have been taking a weekend away for example.

You know you don't have to wait until the traid launches to check contents + you can do it up until you submit your wants (leaving it blank for any item that is not as expected).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hybry wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:

You know you don't have to wait until the traid launches to check contents + you can do it up until you submit your wants (leaving it blank for any item that is not as expected).

Not sure what you mean here. I try to vary my entries depending on what I see early on in the Trade. Good, big ticket items may mean I bring out my biggies; lots of dross and I keep the biggies at home.
If you mean that I can ping entries straight across - that relies on me actually having their trade details already entered on the system. I guess I am like a lot of people and only fill in Trade Condition when it comes time for a math trade where that particular game might be making an appearance. Hence the need for more time to put up entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can check before if you know you are going to list it.
If you don't know you still should be able to determine the condition of a game from a glance to be able to list it. After it has been listed you still can check the contents of the game and submit blank wantlist if something is not in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood. However, I would not add a game to the list until I was sure it was complete. Doing otherwise would only risk a screw-up in my opinion.

Of course it is a personal choice for everyone, although a couple of extra days would surely help some of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooops - I think an abbreviated quote has given rise to a spurious disagreement: although I did write "One weekend for listing is plenty" that was to say 'only one weekend is necessary, not two'.

One full weekend plus several weekdays is what I meant, e.g:

> Close Friday 17th

so, one full weekend plus at least 6 weekdays was my suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Ooops - I think an abbreviated quote has given rise to a spurious disagreement: although I did write "One weekend for listing is plenty" that was to say 'only one weekend is necessary, not two'.

One full weekend plus several weekdays is what I meant, e.g:

> Close Friday 17th

so, one full weekend plus at least 6 weekdays was my suggestion.

I'm sorry! (I have edited the post; not that doing that now helps that much of course.)

I guess in the end nobody will really object to the schedule regardless of what's chosen, especially not to "too long phases". It really comes down to a compromise between subjective preferences. The way previous MTs handled this has always been widely accepted (at least I have perceived it this way.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Wheeler
United Kingdom
Shepherds Bush, London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of a want list, Mr Bath?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wheelerruss wrote:
Any chance of a want list, Mr Bath?

Yer tiz: Wish List for UK Maths Trade June 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emmm ... FWIW and to slightly diminish the likelihood of confusion, I've always thought the wantlist should be called the wishlist. There is no wishlist in the MT process, but there is a wantlist. We all probably have 'wishlists' in our collections, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Emmm ... FWIW and to slightly diminish the likelihood of confusion, I've always thought the wantlist should be called the wishlist. There is no wishlist in the MT process, but there is a wantlist. We all probably have 'wishlists' in our collections, too.

If that's the only cock-up in setting this up, I'll be happy!

I agree wish list is better and the title of the linked Geeklist should now reflect that. (Although I notice the link above hasn't changed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MLBath wrote:
enoon wrote:
If that's the only cock-up in setting this up, I'll be happy!
Hardly a cock-up; t'was always thus .... you're breaking new ground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please bear with me, as a new maths trader this is a little confusing.
I have read the main topics in the forum and understand the concept.

I have games I want to put in the trade.
I have a list of games that I would like in return.

What are my next steps? I see the wishlist that was posted, do I add all the games I want there in hope that someone will add them to the trade list?

Do I wait and see if there are games on the trade list that I would definitely accept before adding mine?

Thank you for your patience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omertron wrote:
Please bear with me, as a new maths trader this is a little confusing.
I have read the main topics in the forum and understand the concept.

I have games I want to put in the trade.
I have a list of games that I would like in return.

What are my next steps? I see the wishlist that was posted, do I add all the games I want there in hope that someone will add them to the trade list?

Do I wait and see if there are games on the trade list that I would definitely accept before adding mine?

Thank you for your patience!

Feel free to add yours. There's a second stage (want lists) whereby you link your items to others on the list. If you see nothing you want, you don't submit a want list (or preferably for the sanity of some, submit an empty one) then you don't make any trades. The wish-list is just so if you want a particular item, when people add it they might tell you, or even only add it because you requested it.

The only reason to wait to submit your items is that you might have multiple low value items and someone posts a high value item you want, so you might combine them to match. Although in my experience, combined items tend to go less often and do less well in a maths trade and are better saved for private trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone was new once, and I imagine everyone was confused too! I know I was.

First, you have to sign up to the OLWLG - http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/. That's the tool you'll use to select the games you want to receive, and 'tick off' the games of yours that you want to exchange for them . Now, at the time of writing, this trade is not "registered" in the OLWLG so the whole thing might not make any sense to you jst yet. It most likely will be 'registered*' later today, at which time a little glimmer of light will appear at the end of the tunnel.

*the owner of the OLWLG has to 'register' each Trade Geeklist with the OLWLG tool.

The 'Trade geeklist' UK Maths Trade June 2016 is where you list the items you want to offer, and where you can view the items other people are offering. Some people leave listing to the last moment (I think some people think this gives them some kind of tactical advantage). My recommendation: do it early so that people can research your offers if they are unfamiliar with them.

Just listing your games
in the 'Trade GeekList' does not commit you to doing anything at all - it is entirely risk free. Go ahead and do it to start getting a feel for it.

The "Wishlist" is just a place to say "If you have this game, I'd really like to see it offered in the trade geeklist", that's all. It doesn't affect the trade itself in any way at all: you can ignore it or use it.

See what happens when the Trade is registered in the OLWLG and come back and ask more questions - we all had to. Moreover, there might be other Newbies who will want the answers too.

Good luck and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Hart
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
Hi,

Quick question about the Math trade.

When putting multiple items up for trade is it possible to say which items you would trade each item for separately?

Basically I'm going to put up a big box game and a couple of smaller ones, for the big box I obviously wouldn't want to trade for an item equivalent to the smaller ones.

I hope I have explained my question clearly!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddddd wrote:
Hi,

When putting multiple items up for trade is it possible to say which items you would trade each item for separately?

Basically I'm going to put up a big box game and a couple of smaller ones, for the big box I obviously wouldn't want to trade for an item equivalent to the smaller ones.

Thanks.

Yes, you will be able to do that in OLWLG.
You can have different trade items selected for each of the games/items listed. So you can be selective for some items and less so for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddddd wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

You get a grid with all the games you want on the left, with a box matching to each game you've offered up. You tick a box to say which game you would trade for which, so you can pick certain games for your small box games and others for the big box if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this on the olwlg? I can't see it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet: it's early yet across the pond ...

it's there now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Towards the end of the process you'll end up with something like this in the OLWLG (Step 4)

My offers are listed across the top, the games I want down the side.

What I'm saying here, for example is:
- for 'Food Chain Magnate' I'd be happy to trade any one of all of my offers (well, who wouldn't?)
- for 'Lords of Xidit' I'm only prepared to trade €24 (either of them)
- for '1812: The Invasion of Canada' I'm prepared to trade €24 or 24 or 20 or 20 12 or 14 or 6 or 9 or 4.
- for Carcassonne: Winter-Edition – Die Kornkreise I'm prepared to trade €6 or €4
- and so on ... (only part of the table is shown there)

As you can see, YOU are in total control what you will trade for what. It does not matter what anyone else does - you decide what you are willing to trade for your offers.

As it turned out, this is what I got in the trade when it ended:

-- 1. gives "Alt Name: 29€ PAYPAL (2093)" to JackyTheRipper (519)
-- 2. gives "Alt Name: 12€ PAYPAL (897)" to jacobjcoon (1064)
-- 3. gives "Alt Name: 6€ PAYPAL/IBAN (895)" to leibgeber (777)
++ 1. receives "Lords of Xidit (590)" from DanielaW
++ 2. receives "Sail to India (759)" from CarlosSpicyweener
++ 3. receives "Carcassonne: Winter-Edition – Die Kornkreise (1811)" from MyKrisse

Perhaps interestingly, you'll see that although I was prepared to trade €14 (or €12 or €9 or €4) for "Sail to India", I actually got it for €12. Most often the rule of thumb is that you'll always trade your "best" offer for your "worst" want, but that's just a way of looking at it so you don't get disappointed! You might wonder why - if I was prepared to offer €14 and €12 I didn't also tick the box to offer €9 - well, I forgot! It's an art, not a science!

Oh - and if you're thinking: "why did he tick €9 for 'Food Chain magnate' - that's just crazy!" - the answer is I use an 'autotick' function which ticks everything that I value equal to or more than the item I'm offering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.