Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading the rules to evaluate whether I should buy the game. Its big brother did not interest me for reasons of complexity and playing time however its popularity is hard to ignore. This card game is an opportunity to get a more streamlined version. However, I am not sure it offers anything different from San Juan and The Settlers of Catan, two games I already own and don't play often (for various reasons). Essentially you use resources to build buildings (like Settlers) to generate more resources to get victory points (like San Juan). I see the advantage over San Juan is that it is a little less abstract with real money instead of card values but that also makes it less elegant although there are no complex building interactions. But it plays with 2 unlike Settlers and quicker than the card game. The twist seems to lie in the use of each others buildings with benefits for both players.

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this one, like you, only read the rules. I eagerly await its release. I own, and enjoy, playing both Caylus and Puerto Rico. These two are building type games that I most enjoy, with vast combinations of building effects with many strategies. Looking at this I would venture the opinion that it seems to be more streamlined than Caylus. It also appears to be more close to its older brother than San Juan is to Puerto Rico. Thus it seems to be a more complex game than San Juan is. I hope that it is as enjoyable as any of those, as I am going to buy without hesitation. My guess is that 3+ players will be required to give a good game. Caylus only played 3 or 4 players, Puerto Rico best with 4 IMO, San Juan best with 4, fine with 3. If you only have 2 players I'd risk saying this is not the best choice from what little I have seen. There are some new 2 player games coming soon that might prove a better bet.

Only my 2p worth, whadda I know ????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kinda dissappointed after reading the rules.
All I see is 80% Caylus with some tweaks to make it go as a card game.
One Recource is gone, privileges are gone, some buildings are gone.
All new there is are somewhat more benefits for the owner of a building if another player uses it.

Sure you will need different tactics to play this one and it will take less time. But I don't think I want a "Caylus light".

Maybe it's really something for those players repelled by Caylus depht and complexity. Don't think it's something for me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.