United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked up loaded dice on Wikipedia, and found the idea of "tappers" and "variable loaded dice" rather interesting, but after some searching, cannot find anywhere that sells these items.

I'm not trying to cheat in any games, just to get that out. I'm just curious how well they work, how much they cost, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only loaded dice I've ever found in retail outlets probably aren't the types you're looking for. They come in pairs. One die has a six on every side, whereas the other has an even mix of fives and twos (so you always get a seven or eleven on the roll).

If you do find a place that has true loaded dice, I think I'd be interested in acquiring a set. I don't know. Just to have 'em, I guess.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Beaudet
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic shops usually carry loaded dice.

The difficult thing with loaded dice is not getting caught. Sometimes, loaded dice are so obviously loaded that they are easy to spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a pair of D6 weighted to roll 6's and they are very obvious. I bought them years ago at a game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Shoot, there are sets for sale at my FLGS. If you want, I can find out how much they are and we can arrange for me to send them to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of dice are they? I've seen loaded ones that just try to roll 6's, or 7 / 11, or things like that. I'm more interested in Tappers or Variable ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I have no clue. I just remember seeing the tube of loaded dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.koplowgames.com/page2.html

Koplow Games has loaded dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
One die has a six on every side, whereas the other has an even mix of fives and twos (so you always get a seven or eleven on the roll).

Do they have really small twos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think another way of unfairly influencing dice is the "shave them". Sand down certain sides to make the opposite side of what you want to come up heavier, and that'll do. It won't work every time, but depending on how much weight you take off I'm sure I'd influence. It is much easier to spot the change though when you hold 2 of them together then having to roll just 1 die.

Note, I've never done it, just heard that's a way to influence dice.

-jjacy1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
The only loaded dice I've ever found in retail outlets probably aren't the types you're looking for. They come in pairs. One die has a six on every side, whereas the other has an even mix of fives and twos (so you always get a seven or eleven on the roll).

I think you meant one dice of all fives, and one dice of sixes and twos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding true Tapping Dice on the internet is pretty tough. This is the only place I found that had any.

http://www.gamblingcollectibles.com/equipment3.html

This set is interesting because they are clear so you can see the tapping mechanism.

Edit I did find this on youtube (some may find music offensive due to language) and you can get them on ebay.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomadik wrote:
http://www.koplowgames.com/page2.html

Koplow Games has loaded dice.

Those are the ones that have all 6's on one and 5s and 2s on the other. And there is a game to them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boseafus Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've always found it a bit strange that game stores sell loaded dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not bought any but here is a site selling a variety of "dodgy dice":

http://www.halfpast.demon.co.uk/html/dd.html

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
I think you meant one dice of all fives, and one dice of sixes and twos.

D'oh! Yes. Yes, I do.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jjacy1 wrote:
I think another way of unfairly influencing dice is the "shave them". Sand down certain sides to make the opposite side of what you want to come up heavier, and that'll do. It won't work every time, but depending on how much weight you take off I'm sure I'd influence. It is much easier to spot the change though when you hold 2 of them together then having to roll just 1 die.

Note, I've never done it, just heard that's a way to influence dice.

I thought the premise of shaving dice was not a question of weight, but of rounding specific edges and not other ones so that the tumbling die is more likely to come to rest with a specific side 'up' (namely, the side opposite a side that still has the more defined/angled corners), and to tumble off certain other numbers. So if you wanted a die that almost never rolled a '1' you'd shave down the edges of the '6' face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boseafus wrote:
I've always found it a bit strange that game stores sell loaded dice.

True, I actively discourage cheating to the point of making people leave. The only set I sell is the Koplow Loaded dice which are actually a game that just happens to have some shifty dice. Anyone looking properly at them will realize they are "bad" dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created some loaded dice once. Drilled out the one spots, packed with solder and re-painted the one spots. In testing my dice won about 2-1 in a "2d6 highest wins" game. So then I used them live, in an RPG I was DM-ing. Easiest way to simulate a rigged dice game inside the RPG is to make it a real rigged dice game outside the RPG.

And what happens - the players win! Afterwards I work out that in the game I'm rolling dice onto the rulebook and they just "thud". In testing I was rolling on a wooden table and they bounced more.

So loading is not quite as simple as it might appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.