Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I'm a long time lurker here at BGG. I've been working on a board game for quite some time now, and I think I've accomplished everything I realistically can by playtesting it with my small game group, friends, and family. So now I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me. The game is pretty firmly in on the Euro side, so I'm looking for a few groups of gamers who like Euros to give the game a run or two and see what they think, let me know if they find any major issues, and generally put it through its paces. If you are interested, please send me a geekmail, and I'll get back to you with some details. And thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give a bit more info?

- What's the game called?
- For how many players?
- What kinds of mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can you give a bit more info?

- What's the game called?
- For how many players?
- What kinds of mechanics?

Sure!

My game is called Gentry. Players have to manage the assets of a gentry class family in medieval England, collecting land and money, hiring vassals, and arranging marriages to gain influence (victory points). The game is played on individual boards, set up like family trees onto which players place their family members and the lands belonging to them. Players can use events to hinder the progress of the opponents, so a major part of the game is trying to set up your family in such a way as to reduce the ability of other players to harm you. Land is very important in the game providing income, granting special abilities, and giving the players influence when included as part of a dowry. So players must decide which lands to keep and which to trade in for points, and when to do so. I think the most interesting thing I've included are the rules regarding inheritance which force the players to think ahead in order to have their lands protected from events but also available for gaining points. The game supports 3 to 5 players, and I feel presents a different experience with each number of players.

I don't want to retype the rulebook here, but I think that should give a pretty good idea of the theme and types of decisions involved.

- Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooo! sounds interesting. Sending Geekmail now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm in New Zealand... so probably not in a practical region to playtest the game... but I just wanted to comment that the game sounds interesting with some unique elements and I wish you the best of luck with it. Hopefully it playtests well and you get it published in the near future. Keep us all informed about the game so when it becomes available we can look into it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Janousek
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Tim,

I have a game group that meets weekly in Nashua NH and we typically get 20 people to play every week. I could probably get a couple groups to give it a try.

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to thank everyone for the quick and exciting response. I'm in the process of contacting everyone who's interested, and I think I have enough groups for now. I'll be sure to ask for more help if I find that I need more extensive testing.

- Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim -

I hope I didn't miss the boat. I tried to send you a geekmail, but I'm not sure it went through.

Please let me know if my group can participate - we'd love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, it sounds somewhat similar to Blood Royale, which is a cool game but can get cumbersome with too many heirs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacko Lantern
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A "Europeanised" version of Blood Royale sounds like a good prospect.

As it's evidently now at the blind-testing stage, would it now be worth adding to the BGG listing of games (as "unpublished", of course)? And, just as importantly, would that be fair use of the website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacko Lantern
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FWIW I found an answer here about submitting prototypes:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/125369
I don't know if this is the final word on the matter, though. Anyone know anything different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of Blood Royale before, but it does look interesting. You're right, thematically, the games are very similar, and I'm happy to see that there is a precedent for the theme.

I am not a published designer, though I'd very much like to be. If I get a good response from the playtest, I'll be most likely self publishing as from what I've heard, it is very difficult to break in to the industry if you don't already have some published material under your belt. I'd say at this point it would be premature to add it to the database as I can't *promise* it will ever go beyond this stage. Hopefully, in a few months I'll be able to say otherwise.

- Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also sounds similar to Suzerain... but without the estate management aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weve got a pretty good group or two here, could be willing to throw the rules a good thrashing through....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.