Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group likes to joke, drink, and have some laughs, and this looks like it would fit well into our circle. So... What would I need to get into Crokinole? I guess via Hilinski, I can get a board, box for discs, and discs for $185, but currently they don't have anything available... Other than that, Im assuming I need the sticks, anything else? And where would be the place to get those?

Looks like a lot of fun, Im jealous guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Nomadik wrote:
Im assuming I need the sticks

There are no sticks - it's a flicking game. And of course the box is optional (I have my discs in a ziplock bag when not on the table). The board and the discs are the only essentials.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Nomadik wrote:
Im assuming I need the sticks

There are no sticks - it's a flicking game. And of course the box is optional (I have my discs in a ziplock bag when not on the table). The board and the discs are the only essentials.

-MMM

I think he's referring to Crokinole cues, which some people use. I can't imagine why, but they do. Cues and some really nice boards can be found at www.crokinole.com. We bought an Eagle board there and have been really pleased with it--even though the art on the Hilinski boards makes me jealous.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the cues aren't very useful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomadik wrote:
So the cues aren't very useful?

They're essential, if that's how you learned and how you prefer to play. But you can also play without them. Anecdotally, most BGG Crokinole players do not use cues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Nomadik wrote:
$185

Worth every penny! I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you avoid cues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomadik wrote:
So... What would I need to get into Crokinole? I guess via Hilinski, I can get a board, box for discs, and discs for $185, but currently they don't have anything available.

I would email them about making one for you -- I did -- or at least see what they may be working on soon. Or you can check back on their site every so often. I get the impression they are working on boards pretty consistently. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot are made on commission and those that aren't don't seem to stay available for long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed them and they will hook me up. I just have to wait a couple weeks before I get paid again. Wee! I think my group will really get a kick out of this game, its something much different than our usual games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul sitko
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a MUCH better game without cues. But you can have cues available for players as an option. Flicking technique can take some time to develop, and newbies might be more comfortable with cues.

There are cued games played at the world championships:

http://www.worldcrokinole.com/2007.html

Note the entries for "cue singles" and "cue doubles."

In the movie "Crokinole" they mention that cues are typically used by older folks who have arthritis or other pain in their joints. In the movie, quite a few of the older players would play with cues.

Another interesting point. Several of the older players in the movie played with the board on a lazy susan so that they can orient the board conveniently. This seems to fit the letter, but not the spirit of the "one-cheek rule."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.