Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Ultra-Mega-Super Carcassonne, anyone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried to play Carcassonne with all the tiles? Mind you, when I say "all the tiles" I don't mean "all the tiles from Carcassone and all the expansions?" I mean Carcassone + all expansions, Carcassone: Hunters & Gatherers, Carcassone: The Discovery, and Carcassone: Ark of the Covenant? I think it would be a very interesting experience I'm thinking of testing out... first I have to purchase Ark of the Covenant though

Anyone ever tried this and is it even possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is possible, but you would have to invent your own rules as the games are not meant to be played together.

Besides, I don't really find it a great challenge.
Find a way to play ALL Knizia games toghether as one single game and will be impressed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't see the point. How do you anticipate to play? They are all distinct games with distinct rules that don't easily translate to one another. Plus, the majority of them use different features and you are going to have very little that let you match up to the other games. Plus you have different tile backs that would require a large bag to include all the tiles. Just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

I have however, mixed Carcasonne and Ark of the Covenent. Though the colors are different, they at least have the same 3 features that allow them to be played together. I filed a session report (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/119637) where I took the River and called it the Jordan to try with the AotC. But I still didn't mix the regular tiles - just started with the start tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
... Just doesn't seem worth the trouble. ...

WOW!!! I TOTALLY AGREE. They are distinctively unique independent games, so why bother...not to mention the mess of trying to sort the tiles again after your finished. It is enough of a headache to just play and score the regular "Carcassonne" with all 9 expansions (that's about 300 tiles that usually takes 2 1/2 - 3 hours).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traci Lawson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Is it OK to play with all of the expansions though? Dragon & Princess and the like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
soopahgrover wrote:
Is it OK to play with all of the expansions though? Dragon & Princess and the like?

Yes. You may have a few hiccups here and there but you can mix all the expansions with basic Carc and have a fairly good go of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that the game gets very hairy and very long. Some mechanics - like the fairy - take a considerable amount of effort to keep up with. That, combined with the number of tiles involved...

I may do it once, but I doubt I'd do it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Regardless, you can always use the tiles without using the new figures. In fact, the game is pretty modular in that you could completly remove the fiary from your games but still use the dragon and not upset the balance too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.