Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: TUTORIAL: Graphics-Wrapped Chipboard Card Boxes (Revised & Expanded, 6/29/17) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: DIY [+] [View All]
Luke Matthews
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
THIS POST HAS MOVED!

HERE'S THE LINK TO THE NEW LOCATION.

This post will remain in place to preserve the original discussion thread, but all future discussion should occur at the new post. All future tuturials will be posted under the username

Pixelart Meeple
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

Thank you for your patience and interest!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DIY Graphics-Wrapped Chipboard Card Boxes (Detailed Tutorial w/Pics)
This looks both beautiful and functional. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor B.
Hungary
Straight outta Borsod
flag msg tools
"Virtue is nothing else than right reason."
badge
Goatham.
mbmbmb
Wow. Biggest thumbs up in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anicia Plowman
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is great!!! Thank you so much for sharing I can't wait to try it out as I have many small card game boxes that need some love after many years of play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Luiz Fuzaro
Brazil
São Mateus
Espírito Santo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really a great work... Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an awesome and very detailed post and your box looks very beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Drubbel
Belgium
Aartselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple IMPRESSIVE ... most impressive! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that final image looks amazing. Nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap, Luke. Holy crap.

I'm a PnP dilettante by comparison. I must begin emulating this process immediately. Any magic to how you create your wrap images? I'm a dunce when it comes to graphic design and image manipulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Matthews
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Annowme wrote:

I'm a PnP dilettante by comparison. I must begin emulating this process immediately. Any magic to how you create your wrap images? I'm a dunce when it comes to graphic design and image manipulation.

Not magic, really. Just time and Photoshop. I've been contemplating creating a tutorial on wrap images, but I'm trying to figure out how to divorce the process from the tool, because I'm not particularly interested in teaching people how to use Photoshop from scratch.

I'm going to work on uploading the wrap images for the boxes I've already created alongside the outer dimensions for the boxes, but that process is going to take me a while. I've just got a lot going on right now, especially now that this project is off my plate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekElite wrote:
Annowme wrote:

Not magic, really. Just time and Photoshop. I've been contemplating creating a tutorial on wrap images, but I'm trying to figure out how to divorce the process from the tool, because I'm not particularly interested in teaching people how to use Photoshop from scratch.

I'm going to work on uploading the wrap images for the boxes I've already created alongside the outer dimensions for the boxes, but that process is going to take me a while. I've just got a lot going on right now, especially now that this project is off my plate.

Well, I'm already inspired just seeing what you've accomplished. That said, anything you upload or any other tutorial-for-dummies-like-me you put together in the future would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moira Reade
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also love to see any tutorial you may have about the graphic wrap. Your boxes look fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
Wold also like to see the graphic wrap information. Would love to see them loaded up into the files section as well.
Are they standard or large size paper. I would want to make some boxes larger for bigger games and could easily adapt the wraps to fit my large format 17" printer. Photoshop files would be great as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
Wold also like to see the graphic wrap information. Would love to see them loaded up into the files section as well.
Are they standard or large size paper. I would want to make some boxes larger for bigger games and could easily adapt the wraps to fit my large format 17" printer. Photoshop files would be great as well.

I've made a photoshop file that (barely) fits within a standard 8.5x11, but it's still being fine-tuned as I figure out how best to construct the boxes. I did the bottom and riser just fine, but the top was 2mm off. Will post when it's perfected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranko M
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GeekElite wrote:
For the graphics wrap, I use a photo printer and print on either matte or semi-gloss photo paper. I will lean more toward semi-gloss going forward. It creates basically the same look and feel as most board game boxes, and the matte photo paper tends to get scuffed up really easy.

I use photo paper to build tuckboxes, and they'd get all scuffed from folding them into shape. Then I tried protecting the printed side with a layer of transparent self adhesive vinyl, and it worked great. It added a bit of rigidity and stiffness to the resulting box, as well as a nice texture, but most importantly you can score and fold the printed side and no damage will be done to the color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Matthews
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Ranko wrote:
GeekElite wrote:
For the graphics wrap, I use a photo printer and print on either matte or semi-gloss photo paper. I will lean more toward semi-gloss going forward. It creates basically the same look and feel as most board game boxes, and the matte photo paper tends to get scuffed up really easy.

I use photo paper to build tuckboxes, and they'd get all scuffed from folding them into shape. Then I tried protecting the printed side with a layer of transparent self adhesive vinyl, and it worked great. It added a bit of rigidity and stiffness to the resulting box, as well as a nice texture, but most importantly you can score and fold the printed side and no damage will be done to the color.

I actually need to update this, since I don't use photo paper anymore. I found a really great linen paper through Neenah Paper that produces fantastic looking boxes with a little surface texture that's really nice. Once the box is wrapped, I spray it with gloss acrylic sealant, and it comes out really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kanazawa
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amazed at how nice your finished product looks on the shelf. Please share your plans (box dimensions, wrap plans) when you find the time.

I'm very tempted to start a quest to convert all of my card-heavy games to your standardized format. It's so tempting! I can hardly wait to try building a box, but what if it's not tall enough to fit card dividers? What if it's too narrow to squeeze in player boards? What if my wrap can't fit on a US letter sized sheet?

So many questions.. maybe I'll just pick a game, just to build a fancy box for it. Just because.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Matthews
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
tazukos wrote:
I'm amazed at how nice your finished product looks on the shelf. Please share your plans (box dimensions, wrap plans) when you find the time.

I'm very tempted to start a quest to convert all of my card-heavy games to your standardized format. It's so tempting! I can hardly wait to try building a box, but what if it's not tall enough to fit card dividers? What if it's too narrow to squeeze in player boards? What if my wrap can't fit on a US letter sized sheet?

So many questions.. maybe I'll just pick a game, just to build a fancy box for it. Just because.

I can informally share a few of my dimensions here:

The face of every box is 75mm wide by 104mm tall. The depth of each box is determined by the number of cards in the game you're boxing up, measured as I show above.

Each half (top/bottom) of each box is roughly 52mm tall. The side walls of the lid and bottom are 50mm tall, and the extra 2mm is added by the chipboard that forms the base of each piece.

The internal risers are all 71mm wide (viewed on the face) by 65mm tall. Again, the depth is determined by the number of cards in the game.

Determine the depth of your riser first, and use it to determine the depth of the overall box.

With these outer dimensions, the internal dimensions of each box are 68mm (w) by 100mm (h) by XXmm (d). This will fit virtually ever type of card sleeve for standard (poker) sized cards, and also leaves a little headway for dividers.

At some point I plan to revise and update the above post and include this information. You'll note that the sizes I quote here differ from the ones I used to create that Fluxx box above. The box in this tutorial is effectively a beta prototype (after boxes for Targi and Guillotine were my "alpha"s).

I'm more than willing to answer questions if you have more. I can't guarantee I'll get to them quickly, but I'll try to get to them if you ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kanazawa
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial measurements for a Polders box came out to 74mm (W) x 94mm (H) x 205 (D), but I'll adjust it upwards now to your 75mm x 105mm size. So glad that you responded so quickly -- I'd forgotten to add 1mm to account for thickness of the linen wrap around the riser.

Okay, so, I'm having fun figuring out how to make your box design. I'm starting with the riser. Here's a pic showing my rig for gluing the sides at 90 degree angles.. just idle curiosity with a clamp and some Legos.

Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McLaughlin
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
Your boxes look great!

Could anyone recommend an alternative to the linen paper? That stuff is £60 ($73) on Amazon.co.uk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthetwat wrote:
Your boxes look great!

Could anyone recommend an alternative to the linen paper? That stuff is £60 ($73) on Amazon.co.uk!

How much are you buying?!

This is the stuff I use:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BKZYB9K/ref=pe_385721_3703805...

There's various other suppliers of the same stuff that are similarly priced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Matthews
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
matthetwat wrote:
Your boxes look great!

You might want to try actual paper suppliers rather than Amazon. I get my linen paper from Neenah Paper in the US, and it's relatively cheap, depending on the quantity you buy. I'd have to imagine there would be something similar in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larson
Hong Kong
Discovery Bay
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
To find your true identity within the will of Tze Yo Tzuh...that is the highest of all freedoms.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are amazing. Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Matunis
United States
Verona
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are amazing. Would you be willing to share your files so that I could print some myself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Matthews
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
sinutam wrote:
These are amazing. Would you be willing to share your files so that I could print some myself?

I'm workin' on it. I'm building a couple more tutorials and a GeekList that'll have file links. It might take me a while, but it's coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.