Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was digging around for some news on a reprint of this game, and I found some interesting info on the Ystari website. Athough the article itself is outdated, there are comments from Ystari staff posted as recently as last month, and the most recent point to a new English reprint with corrected typos!

As far as I can tell the comments are referring to a different reprint from the one in the article. Different posts mention a corrected version coming in either July or September this year. I don't think you could call it official just yet, but this would be great news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm curious, because I am considering buying the game and have heard nothing about the typos; do they affect gameplay? Is it just innocuously misspelled words and punctuation, or typos that could actual lead to you having incorrect information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metal134 wrote:
I'm curious, because I am considering buying the game and have heard nothing about the typos; do they affect gameplay? Is it just innocuously misspelled words and punctuation, or typos that could actual lead to you having incorrect information?

There is apparently one typo that prevents you from solving a case since it essentially rules out the correct answer. I don't remember exactly what it does, but it's a pretty big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:

There is apparently one typo that prevents you from solving a case since it essentially rules out the correct answer. I don't remember exactly what it does, but it's a pretty big deal.

If it's the one I am thinking of, it doesn't really prevent you from solving the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
DyingTickles wrote:

If it's the one I am thinking of, it doesn't really prevent you from solving the case.

That's good. I heard about it before I tried that case so I just skipped it. I will go back to that once I complete the rest of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
metal134 wrote:
There are mistranslations in Case 3 that can mislead you completely. However, revised replacement pages have been created and they have been made available in the files section here, I believe.

There's also a typo in one case (I can't remember which right now) that due to the detailed nature of the game and the context of the clue, caused some to believe there was some relevance behind the typo, thus leading them on a goose chase. However, if you know to expect that the case includes a typo, you'll know not to be misled by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to follow up to the original post that started this thread:

If you go back to that link, you'll see that Gabriel Ecoutin (who is an Editor at Ystari) has now confirmed a September 2016 US release date for the new edition of SHCD.

The new edition will have new art and trade dress, presumably to match the newly translated expansions, which are due out at the end of the year. More importantly (to me, anyway), this edition will feature corrected typos for Case #s 3 and 6!

Also, I asked him this question:
Quote:
Will those of us who already own the game be able to download the corrected pages for Case #3 and Case #6, once they’re available?
And got this response:
Quote:
Hi, we shall try something of this kind, thanks.
So, fingers crossed!

Cheers,
MJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjschryver wrote:
Just to follow up to the original post that started this thread:

If you go back to that link, you'll see that Gabriel Ecoutin (who is an Editor at Ystari) has now confirmed a September 2016 US release date for the new edition of SHCD.

The new edition will have new art and trade dress, presumably to match the newly translated expansions, which are due out at the end of the year. More importantly (to me, anyway), this edition will feature corrected typos for Case #s 3 and 6!

Also, I asked him this question:
Quote:
Will those of us who already own the game be able to download the corrected pages for Case #3 and Case #6, once they’re available?
And got this response:
Quote:
Hi, we shall try something of this kind, thanks.
So, fingers crossed!

Cheers,
MJ

That's fantastic, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's being released to match the expansions, will the expansions not work with the last release? Or is it just a cosmetic thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is it's cosmetic, plus typo fixes. But that's just my best guess, based on what I've read. You should go to the link in the first post, and ask there; they're good about answering quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in case 4 on Wed and there were typos in that case too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guide to some of the mistranslations that I have found incredibly helpful can be found here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Meyers
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
According to Gabriel, there will be a UK reprint of the existing 10 cases in July, and in September, the "new design" will contain 10 NEW cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jordanlmeyers wrote:
According to Gabriel, there will be a UK reprint of the existing 10 cases in July, and in September, the "new design" will contain 10 NEW cases.

No freaking way- 10 ENTIRELY NEW CASES!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
endlsdremr wrote:
10 ENTIRELY NEW CASES!?

Ystari has stated in various places:

4 Entirely New Cases about the Whitechapel Murders.
+ 6 ReWorked Sherlock Holmes: West End Adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jordanlmeyers wrote:
Am I missing something or the "new design" is just an expansion?
Makes no sense to reprint and release a new edition at almost the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
hybry wrote:
jordanlmeyers wrote:
Am I missing something or the "new design" is just an expansion?
Makes no sense to reprint and release a new edition at almost the same time.

They have a new look (new art on map, newsletters, etc).

They'll release a "standalone expansion" that will have West End expansion cases and Jack expansion cases, but will have the map & newspapers so you have everything you need to play. 10 cases, all previously unpublished by Ystari.

Then, separately, they'll release a reprint of the original Ystari base that fixes typos and also has the new look-and-feel (new art). So this is another 10 cases, but they are the original ones from the base Ystari game published a few years ago.

https://gusandco.net/2016/06/27/tout-ce-qui-va-changer-dans-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This goes back to the question about "trade dress," above. These two releases will have box art designed to make it clear that they go together, as part of a new edition. I.e. they'll have the same – brand new – trade dress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Wow, having now seen the contents of the new 'expansion' the newspaper art is very evocative. Interesting to play considering in the back of my mind I feel we may have finally come close to finding the real 'Jack'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n/a n/a
msg tools
I was about to buy a copy of this game when I heard the rumors of a possible new version of the base game. I emailed Ystari to see if they could provide any info on said rumors. I basically asked "Should I buy a copy now, or wait for this supposed updated version coming soon?"

This was the response from Gabriel:

Quote:
Hello,

You can buy now a copy. In October will be released another box with 10 new (different) cases.

Best regards,

Gabriel

So, I don't know if this truly means an updated version of the base game isn't in the works, or if Gabriel is just not revealing anything for trade reasons, but I thought I'd at least post the info here for some new perspective on the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What else did you expect. If the current version would be so bad it would not be on market. So there is no reason for them to to tell you not to buy the current version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent the link for the French article to a friend of mine who was born in Québec, and is fully bilingual. I told him the main questions we were all having, regarding number of releases, content, etc. Here's his quick-and-dirty translation/summary of the salient points:

>>>

In September, they are releasing a box set of 10: 6 expansion, plus 4 in a new "campaign mode".

In November, the original 10 will be re-released; beautifully redone.

Joy of joys... another 10 will be released next year!

Each box will be "complete" and will not require a base set.

>>>

So I think that settles that.

Also, YAY!

- Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inkey jones
msg tools
So

I have just bought the original game

NOT opened it

I don't mind having the 'old' components

BUT....

If there are typos - is there a way to get a 'fixed' version for the old game [even if it costs a few pounds]?

Or have I bought a game where I got screwed on, one or two of the ten cases being a little 'broken'????

Is this even worth me emailing the company [?] to see if they have a plan to help people who have recently bought th eold version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you scroll upthread a bit, to May 31st, you'll see my post where I mentioned communicating with Gabriel Ecoutin.

If you go to this link...

http://www.ystari.com/sherlock-holmes-reprinted/

... you can read our exchange in context.

Short version: There's a good possibility that Asmodee will be making downloadable corrected files for the two messed up cases – #s 3 and 6 – available to owners of earlier editions.

I'm sure it couldn't hurt for you to jump into the conversation at that link, and add another voice in support of this option.

MJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really the only major thing you should know is that in the case with the cypher,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
spirpt
is a typo.

Everything else so far has been managable for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |