Popular Tags: Review [+] [View All]
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I first came across Quelf at the San Diego Comic Con. The Mechanics of the game are simple enough, roll a dice, move your unique piece around a colored spiral track, select a card of the same color you land your piece upon. That's where the functional mechanics stop and the wall breaking, team building, story telling fun begins.

To quote the game designers, "You will never remember who won this game when it was played, but you will remember the Haiku on Arm Pit Hair that had everyone rolling on the floor."

Card selection and the consequent dynamics are the heart of this game. There are five different types of cards.

Yellow Stuntz card. Slapstick and your the target! These are cards of physical actions a player needs to perform. This can be anything from...Pick an opponent to be a dog trainer and you are the dog responding to commands of sit, roll over, beg, play dead...to...Being a human toaster and waiting until the timer runs out to shake a bit then yell "Ding!!! The Toast is ready!!!"

Blue Roolz cards. Annoying to you but everyone else enjoys your pain! These are cards that make you perform an action for the rest of the game or until you pull another blue card. This is like a yellow card that never quits...such as...Whenever it is not your turn you must keep your thumbs in your mouth, and if you wish to ask a question you must touch both of your shoulders...or...Whenever you ask a question you must extend your arm straight up into the air and say "Excuse me please I feel a question coming!"

Purple Showbiz cards. Charades at your expense! These are cards that ask you to engage in some action related to the performing arts. This can be something simple such as...You might not be wearing a tutu but we want to see your ballet moves...to...Recite a nursery rhyme using the voice of a grizzled old man...or...Without telling, or writing anything your opponents must guess what you are-and that would be a person covered in hot lava!

Red Scatterbrainz Card. We will take you to places your brain does not normally like to go! These are cards that will let you know how much your friends like to butt in to your business. When you can't think of something...you will find that they will chime in for you. Such as things you will commonly find at a Wedding but not at a Rock Concert...or...Words varying in lenth that can be made from the letters in word "Planets"

Green Quizzle card. Really trivial knowledge to put you on the spot! You will feel good about getting the answer right...but your friends will wonder about your mastery of the obscure. Such as does a chicken have lips and if so does he smack them?...to...Which of the following four basketball players was the first to have their picture on a box of Wheaties?

For some cards there is a timer involved. And some cards are classified which means that you cannot show that card to anyone else.

This is a truly great party game with no superior purpose or competitive objective than to have fun. It can be played with children as well as adults or even both!

This game is so good at what it does that I bought 20 of these to use in a staff team building and training session back in August. Eight months later my staff is still talking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jesus vasquez
United States
Erdenheim
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. I came across this game at a local game shop as well. They had it open and we were able to play a couple hands of it. We bought a copy any play it as often as we can. When we have dinner parties and such our friends specifically as for the game. I would agree that Quelf is a very fun and entertaining party game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.