Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, i think i've been playing it wrong, and I've tried to answer my own questions, anyone please correct me if I am incorrect:

I was playing: re-entering robots wait until their archive is clear to come back in.

The real way: If an archive is occupied, they re-enter adjacent to the archive marker, and face any direction desired.

I was playing: being destroyed makes you lose one life, and then upon re-entering your damage is cleared

The real way: you lose one life and re-enter with two damage (not sure still)

I was playing: You move all your registers, then move the belts, gears, lasers

The real way: move one register at a time, and in between each one move the belts, gears and lasers.

I was playing: Lock ups mean you can only play a certain amount of open registers

The real way: Lock ups (hence the name) lock your previous programmed registers and you have to keep replaying that movement card until you unlock it

One more question please: Am I correct that you don't have to fill up your registers? You can opt to just play one card, or two, or none? Also, can you skip register one, and start playing on reg two, or do you have to play one to get to two and so on? Is the only way to really "burn" a register is to kind of just spin or move back and forth?

Thanks for the help!

Let this be a lesson. This is what happens when you play the game after "skimming" over the rules and not actually reading the examples. Thanks to BGG, the lazy rule reader can learn the error of his ways!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All your "real way" answers are correct.
As far as board elements, make sure you factor them in the correct order.

fast belts move 1
fast belts and slow belts move 1
pushers push (if active that phase)
gears turn
crushers crush (if active that phase)
lasers fire

ALL your registers MUST be programmed and they ALL must be executed unless some outside force changes them, such as the radio control option.

Also, if you're playing with the original rules and the archive spot is occupied, your robot comes back as virtual and remains that way a full turn.
The newer version has you come back as real and if the archive location is occupied, you can choose any adjacent square and facing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

Also, if you're playing with the original rules and the archive spot is occupied, your robot comes back as virtual and remains that way a full turn.
The newer version has you come back as real and if the archive location is occupied, you can choose any adjacent square and facing.

Is there such a big change? Why? Does the new version donĀ“t have virtual counters? It worked very well the "old" way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems somebody was offended by "virtual" robots. (But not by "backup copies" of robots.) In the most recent release, there are no virtual robots.

It's a significant loss to the game quality.

Robots now have separate start spots on a start board that's put next to the main board. The start spots are sort-of sometimes almost balanced, but not really.

If you are retrieving an archive copy of your robot but the space is occupied, you get to choose an adjacant space to start in instead.

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a stupid rules change.
Another reason not to buy the new version.

BTW, I love your Avatar. (But I favour Twitch.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grantham
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It seems somebody was offended by "virtual" robots.

Yes, that somebody was Richard Garfield. See http://www.gamersalliance.com/Winter%202006/interviewrichard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no reason not to buy the new edition. Just don't use the docking bay and make a few virtual counters. Easily done.
Apparently Garfield wants the game accessible to Risk players. An admirable goal, but doomed to failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how exactly did the virtual robots work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:

All robots started on the same space, in 'virtual' mode (cardboard counters with a clearly-identifiable facing are used to represent virtual robots). Robots in virtual mode cannot affect or be affected by other robots, virtual or real - they do not push or get pushed by other robots, they cannot fire weapons at other robots or be fired upon by other robots... but board elements DO affect them (board lasers hurt; conveyors move; pits and crushers kill, etc). At the end of any TURN (not phase, TURN) in which a virtual robot is standing alone, the virtual robot counter is removed from the board replaced with the 'real' robot figurine.

If a robot dies, at the start of the next turn it comes back to its last archive location (with two points of damage, naturally). If that location is vacant (no other robot there, and no other robots also trying to withdraw an archive copy there) the robot comes back 'real'. If there is already a robot there, the coming-back robot comes back in virtual mode. If there is more than one robot trying to withdraw an archive copy in the same space, all of them come back in virtual mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:

Any time two or more robots satrt the game or return as archive copies they are "virtual."
This means they do not interact with any other robots. No laser fire, no pushing, no affects from options etc.
However, they ARE affected by all board elements.

Here's the process by which the game begins with virtual robots.
Each player selects their opening facing using paper counters that make stacking simple.
For the ENTIRE first turn (all 5 register phases) the robots have zero interaction with each other. Everyone programs and moves as usual, but there is no pushing or laser fire from robots. Robots may occupy the same square on any phase during the first turn.
If more than one robot occupies the same square at the end of the turn, they begin the next turn virtual as well.

Board elements ALWAYS affect virtual robots. This includes lasers.

As soon as a robot ends a turn alone in a square, it begins the next turn "real."

Bringing back archive copies works the same way. If two robots come back at the same archive location, on the same turn, they begin as virtual and remain so until they end a turn in a square alone.
They do not shoot or push any other robots, but as always are affcted by board elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Flowers
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the benefit of using virtual robots more player interaction right from the start? This seems like a very obvious answer, but I'd thought I'd ask it anyway. The separate starting locations in the current edition means sometimes players won't interact for a few turns, making the beginning game not terrible exciting. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think most would say (myself included) that the benefit of virtual robots is that everyone runs the same race. You don't feel unsure if one player had an inherent advantage due to having a preferential place on the starting grid.

In theory, robot interaction can begin *earlier* on the starting grid. It can happen right on turn one. The Virtual Robot rules guarantee no robot interaction on turn one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike virtual robots, and I'm glad for the change. I play Robo Rally to push, shoot, disrupt and collide with my foes. I don't like the idea of playing multiplayer solitaire Robo Rally, even if it's just for one turn.

And although virtual robots are simple, I think they clash with the game. Okay, we're going to play a race game. Except we're not going to play the game right away, we're going to pretend we're playing the game, and when you're not on a space with someone else playing pretend, you can actually start playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
Okay, we're going to play a race game. Except we're not going to play the game right away

The Devils' Advocate in me wants to say that it's at least as bad to say "We're going to play a race game. Only we're not going to be running the same race".

And while I'm fully aware that car and bike races have a staggered start as well (car races' start position is determined by time trials - look, racers racing with nobody else on the track! Emulating this in RR would be just as non-interactive), I think there's a major difference in that (biathlon excepted) the people who fall into position behind the leaders aren't carrrying weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
something I am still unclear on... the players get dealt cards, and you choose 5 to keep, while discarding the rest. Does the player HAVE to program all of these cards, or can he opt to just play one or two or three and not use all 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
something I am still unclear on... the players get dealt cards, and you choose 5 to keep, while discarding the rest. Does the player HAVE to program all of these cards, or can he opt to just play one or two or three and not use all 5?

I answered this earlier.

Quote:
ALL your registers MUST be programmed and they ALL must be executed unless some outside force changes them, such as the radio control option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh thanks, I straight up missed your reply. I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
I was playing: re-entering robots wait until their archive is clear to come back in.

The real way: If an archive is occupied, they re-enter adjacent to the archive marker, and face any direction desired.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I think you can't start faced towards an enemy if they are standing at only three squares or less away from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjac wrote:
asgelb wrote:

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I think you can't start faced towards an enemy if they are standing at only three squares or less away from you.

I agree (though I also don't have the rules in front of me...). The point is, of course, if you were allowed to face the opponent already standing there, your opening move could be to push them straight into a pit. A bit too powerful to be allowed to choose such a position, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolle Colart
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One more question please: Am I correct that you don't have to fill up your registers? You can opt to just play one card, or two, or none? Also, can you skip register one, and start playing on reg two, or do you have to play one to get to two and so on? Is the only way to really "burn" a register is to kind of just spin or move back and forth?

Don't forget, when a register is empty, and everyone is done, you still have 30 seconds to fill your registers. If you don't after 30 seconds. The player on your left (I think) will fill up your registers randomly with your cards you are still holding. At least, this is the case in the new rules.

So every register must be filled, either by you, or by another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.