Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newer rules set.

This question is similar to the other river question. I understand that the Confed can't move across a river unless if it is under Union river control 6.6 and there is the issue of the blue bar across a river space 6.2. So, my question is a confed went from dover, tenn to clarksville, tenn (apparently that was the last train ... to clarksville :what. The union had an army in Nashville devil and successfully intercepted into clarksville. Now, since the interceptor gets into the space BEFORE the oppenent enters the space 5.81...

1) Does that mean that the Confed can't move in? I think so.
2) Can he keep moving?

Thanks,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for CSA river crossings are:

(1) Neither side may cross a river into a space with an enemy fort.

(2) If (1) does not apply, then the CSA may cross at a location that is Denied Union Naval Control.

In your case, I'm assuming Clarksville doesn't contain a USA fort (or you'd never have tried to cross in the first place.) Thus, as long as Union Naval Control is Denied, they can cross.

Note that the presence of enemy SPs has no affect on your ability to cross a river. Only the presence of forts and the Union Naval Control situation. Thus, an interception cannot affect river crossing, since the only effect of interception is to move SPs (and Generals) into the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Williams
United Kingdom
Tipton
flag msg tools
I'm really struggling with the river crossing rules as well....

the basic concept is fine, but what muddies the waters for me is the line:

'Entering a space with no blue bar is never considered crossing a river'

Now, in the examples this seems to hold up -

One example is CSA going from Paducah to Cairo, with a Conf fort on Paducah. If the Northern route is taken, it states that no river is crossed, even though there is a blue bar at the North edge of the Paducah space.

The other is the example that the Union can always enter Dover from Clarksville, which also has a blue space on its Western edge.

If this is the case, why does the rules talk about a force crossing a river as soon as it enters or exits (exits being the point in contention for me) a space by crossing a blue bar. It seems completely contradictory to the 'Entering a space with no blue bar is never considered crossing a river' line.

Adding further confusion is the first example - page 24 of the new rules has the CSA going from Louisville into Bloomington , which doesn't have a blue bar and describes it as 'crossing a river'. Is this just sloppy use of game terms?

So, to try and keep things from my head exploding, and me just junking the official river crossing rules for something that makes sense, is it safe to summarise that if you are crossing a blue line inthe space you are already in, and entering a space without crossing another blue line, you are not considered to be crossing a river?

Oh, and apologies for hijacking an existing thread - it seemed more senisble to tag onto this than start a new thread.

Please, please help!! Everything else now seems to have fallen into place, but I have literally spent as much time on the ribver crossing rules, as the rest of the rulebook!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.